I'm in love with Monkey!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/I'm in love with Monkey!

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#1]
Dear all, dear Mark,

I just want to thank you for this awesome cross platform development language. Yes it has it's drawbacks but all in all I'm very pleased using it. And don't think I've tried to use others! Oh no, I've tried almost everything out there, I even speak fluently Unity now, but hey, I always come back home. :)

I can't help myself but only here it "feels right". Mark, you've created a gem here! Please don't give up even though there are hard times in between. Take a step back, take a deep breath and do what you always did: Stand up and continue. :) Being customer #1 I will always use Monkey and I'm not shy to do whatever is needed to keep you busy. ;)

Oh and please Mark, in case you have a Paypal account, let me donate. I'm willing to give you a royalty share with all apps I did (and do) with Monkey. :) Even though that might be not that much atm but that will change over time, I'm pretty sure!

Cheers - Xaron

dragon(Posted 2014) [#2]
xaron, you pay few $ for mark... ok
it is better to generate more users, which will pay more $ than you

user marketing...
a) if someone have success with his app - tell the world about Monkey inside app, website or markets
b) contest - here is always contest somewhere - lets create our app with some monkey suggestions
c) IT news pages: send mails to them... if here is something new in monkey (3d module for example = big news)
d) here are always news about unity - or today about BASIC (50 year)... post about Monkey in comments...
e) "invasion" of dev forums... tell about Monkey direct to devs... (i think not all know about monkey)

If mark is not able to do this (marketing is a full time job) - we should do it...

Derron(Posted 2014) [#3]
@dragon
It is hard to attract new people with the statement about a "paused feature development".

bye
Ron

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#4]
I think its funny how all these games are going to start happening ones those features are implemented. Any bode with a little experience with the language that has the skill of making games is already making them no excuses. Once all these features are implemented the same people are going to continue on complaining....

For a change I agree with Xaron. I am not a great programmer but I have my share of games that I have relatively finished. I do this as a hobby but I am also interested in making money as well. I know monkey can handle itself as well if not better than other similar languages. Personally I think its a great product that it's capable of taking me where ever my imagination leads to. Now the question is do I have the skills to make it do as I want. After all a tool is just a tool. It's up to the artist to make the master piece.

So for his work, I thank Mark for creating this great TOOL.

rebelas(Posted 2014) [#5]
Good issue to think about. Do I love monkey X?

As a programming language, I love it.

As a programing language with enough libraries for game programming (2D, 3D , physics, AI, etc. libraries), I don't love it because it does not have those libraries.

As a modern game software (not game engine) so that a game designer (not a programer) can produce games with it, I don't love it because it is not a modern game software. A modern game software does not require high level software engineers or proficient programmers. Just knowing some scripting is enough, like network admins, or like 3D modelers.

That's my love!

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#6]
It is a cross compiling language, not a game engine, not a visual game engine.

If you want all this, go with Unity, no kidding. Personally I want freedom and a lightweight solution. I don't get it why some cry to get a full featured game engine usable for artists. Monkey never was designed for this. Just use Unity or UE4 and come back like I did. ;)

Monkey IS a very modern language. Regarding libraries, they are all there, physics, 2d, 3d...

A modern game software does not require high level software engineers or proficient programmers. Just knowing some scripting is enough, like network admins, or like 3D modelers.

Ouch. No offense but this is just nonsense. Sure you can do that 0815-out-of-the-box-standard-fps shooter that way but forget about doing a unique game with just scripting.

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#7]
Soon there will be a SOFTWARE everybody can just tell it the features desired for a game and it will be done. Then we will really see the creativity and talent of all these excellent game designers, until then we'll just have to wait...

I am so hyped up just thinking about all these great games that we are finally going to get to play. Until then lets have a play at a great game of:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7259&app_id=11

Steve Ancell(Posted 2014) [#8]
Soon there will be a SOFTWARE everybody can just tell it the features desired for a game and it will be done.

Which takes the fun out of coding. Back in the day, the school football jocks would beat a computer geek into the ground, now they are the kind of people that want to abolish coding with this drag 'n' drop crap.

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#9]
Forget that, I am about to patent a software that will look at popular trends design games based on that and publish. no need to program after that. Money will be just rolling in.

rebelas(Posted 2014) [#10]
You did not offended me. In fact you said what I said, monkey is just a language.

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#11]
After spending all the time I have playing with different languages, I first got hooked by Blitz3d, then BlitzMax and now Monkey. Wether people think its a modern language or not, doesn't matter to me, it definitely has what I need to get things done. If I can make the kind of games I want to right now, the language and modules that will improve can only make things better in the long run.

I've wasted a lot of time trying out languages and tools, but as Xaron says, I always come back to Mark!

I second the "I'm in love with Monkey!"

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#12]
I've had Monkey for a week.

I spent the first 4 days watching the excellent tutorial videos, then a couple of days getting to grips with the absolute basics (create an app, get something on the screen, etc.).

This morning I started coding my game "for real". By 3pm the engine was up and running and the game is essentially playable! I still have to add splash screen, graphics, sounds, etc., but the "difficult" bit is done. I could not be happier right now :)

Admittedly, I've got a lot (34 years) of programming experience, so adapting to a new language and environment is a pretty quick process for me. But I've found Monkey to be well-designed and the community help to be exemplary, so I can't see why anybody couldn't also get up to speed pretty quickly.

I also just want to add my 2 cents about drag&drop scripting language type environments: they are a false economy. Sure, you can get some things up and running extremely quickly, but if you want to do something the designer hasn't anticipated, you're out of luck. In the long run you are far, far better off to learn "proper" programming.

~ Lindsay

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#13]
I couldn't agree more, Lindsay. :)

Maybe that's because I'm an old school developer as well. Drag&Drop stuff has its advantages when it comes to UI things and things like particle editors. And I think that's one thing which could be added by users to Monkey.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#14]
I come from Amos back in the Amiga days, anything other then typing in the code feels cheap and dirty to me, I need to know what is going on under the hood or I feel I cannot trust it.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#15]
I agree. Have added a Monkey X section to my blog. Don't know if there are many readers but I promote Monkey in many different forums.

http://www.leidel.net/wp/monkey-x/

Snader(Posted 2014) [#16]
@Supertino. Amos, yeah, those where the days!