Community Project

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Community Project

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
With the summer well on the way I am thinking about kicking off another community project, not sure what specifically tho, anyone got any thoughts?

Would anyone be interested in a ludumdare style 3 day jam where we set a theme ?, would those people interested also be interested in streaming as much of their dev as possible?

monkey jam?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#2]
if we had finer access to music offsets I'd say let's all make minigames for a rhythm game, but that would need something like Fmod ;)
Minigame collections in general used to be a popular community project thing some years back though.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yeah we did one here , didn't turn out to bad either although could have been a lot better.

I think some sort of jam might be better than another minigame compilation tho as that last one forced people to use diddy, if we make it a jam where people take part and submit their own little game then there would not be that restriction, I really think something like a monkey version of ludum dare might be a cool idea, we could if possible even get mark to pick a winner and a theme.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#4]
I'll be up for a Ludummonkeydare style... but due to time restrictions I would like 7 days as I am normally busy with other stuff.

Samah(Posted 2014) [#5]
Nobuyuki Diddy has the SeekMusic command that should do what you want.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
I'm open to a longer time frame I am always worried that I wont be able to finish something in a short period of time and as a result I tend not to enter things like ludum, so I would not object to a longer time of a week rather than a weekend, but I think a shorter time frame might be better, if we can get some more discussion going on in this thread we could possible get thoughts on time frame from other people and see what other people think, like you they may have life stuff limiting their time and we don't want this to be something only a few try it will be better if as many people as possible take part.

so 3 days (FRi,Sat,Sun) or a week (Sun->Sun) anyone else got any thoughts?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#7]
god my grammar is shocking :(

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#8]
guess no one is really all that interested, damn it I hate how quiet this community is. :(

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#9]
I could only participate in something like this if I would not have any other obligations.

But family, day job, side jobs don't leave enough time to devote myself for something like this.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#10]
I'm afraid I'm pretty busy, too, and I didn't really like the diddy requirement for the last project, so there ya have it. Back in the day, there used to be small competitions with prizes in the community I was in, so maybe someone could sponsor that. The only people I know here selling middleware though are Ziggy and that ignition guy.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#11]
well short of some form of official support I think the idea's dead, I know I wont waste my time on it if only 2 or 3 people are taking part, there would be no point at all when I could just spend that time working on my own things.

Given the response I think a jam with a prize at the end might be the only thing that would encourage people to take notice, I think it would also take a concerted effort from the community to help spread the word before it started, I could imagine something where mark or brl sets a theme, and a week during the summer holiday period, and then at the end takes all submissions and votes on a winner, first prize could be an Pro licence for monkey, if ziggy, grudlux or others also chipped in a licence or two it could round out to be a worth while thing, and could generate a ton of visitors and possible new users.

Would take a fair bit of organizing tho, not sure mark would be all that up for something like that he barely posts here never mind organizing a small jam competition every year, hell I know how hard it was for me to get people to submit code to the monkey touch project.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#12]
i had an idea a while back where you could do a collaborative jam, like the game "exquisite corpse". someone starts and passes the game on, and each consecutive person adds something to it. you can't delete anyone's work, just keep adding on to it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#13]
there was a game made like that ? I tried to google it but just got tons of info on the process nothing on an actual game.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#14]
What about something like they do in the ZX speccy scene, http://cgc.zx.gen.tr/
Might be better to give people more time to work on something (say a month) and everyone submits it to someone on here that can host the html5 versions of their games on a webpage and people can vote on them, then at the end of the month (plus maybe a week for voting) the most votes win :)

Tbh, not sure if that's what ludum dare does and if so, I apologise in advance for my stupidity :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#15]
there was a game made like that ?

no, was just an idea i had.