is Monkey now Free?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/is Monkey now Free?

Deen(Posted 2014) [#1]
as post title above? is that free now? im sorry for asking here, just wonder when my officemate said it is downloadable via github now. if it free, why i still can see a price tag in the 'store' page? as soon my question answered, you freely can delete this post (if it is controversial in some kind???).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
In the past the lite version only allowed you to build for html5 to allow you to test monkey out, but now there is a proper FREE version, which will not only allow you to build to html5 and the desktop environments but it will also allow you to register on the site and communicate on the forums.

If you wish to do anything with the other targets, iOS, Android etc then you need to buy the pro version.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#3]
Part of it is open source, and there is a free version which can build HTML5/Desktop targets. Mobile targets require you to buy the full version. It is pretty clear on the store page:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Store/_index_.php

Deen(Posted 2014) [#4]
just wonder the one that downloadable via github... seems like all folders available in the targets folder.. what is actually happening on GitHub version?

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#5]
The Github version is there so people can submit their code to be integrated in the official version, help fixing thing and so on. You don't gain anything from getting Monkey from GitHub. Maybe an early patch if Mark decides to update the Github inbetween. But nothing major. The free targets are included in the download here and on Github. For all the other targets you have to get Monkey X Pro. And it is definetly worth the money.

Deen(Posted 2014) [#6]
i see.. pretty clear now, thanks for all of the answer guys..