Forum Syntax Highlighting and Forum Code Hints?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Forum Syntax Highlighting and Forum Code Hints?

Anatol(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

I'm almost certain that either the "code" or "codebox" forum code used to highlight the monkeycode syntax. Did this feature disappear with the forum update? With syntax highlighting it's just so much more readable!

And a small issue. The "forum codes" link that displays hints doesn't show when you create a new topic. It is, however, still visible when you want to leave a reply to an existing post.

Cheers!
Anatol

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#2]
Anatol wrote:
And a small issue. The "forum codes" link that displays hints doesn't show when you create a new topic. It is, however, still visible when you want to leave a reply to an existing post.

This is fixed by my browser extension - MonkeyPlus

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#3]
There was a tag called "monkeycode" that would highlight code. Code and codebox never highlighted code, and for good reason, as not all code inside a code and codebox is Monkey code. Take for instance several of my posts here about MiniC N.Edition.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yeah the monkeycode ttab is still in play it's simple not got the backend support to highlight. I hope they add it again because like the guy mentioned above, reading code that's not highlighted is for some people incredibly hard.

Anatol(Posted 2014) [#5]
[monkeycode]
Global syntaxHighlighting:String
Field solved:Bool
If syntaxHighlighting = "nice" Then solved = True
[/monkeycode]

Hm, thanks, yes it used to be [monkeycode], I remember now. But syntax highlighting still no longer works...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah they really need to add it, in the past I helped them with it but my profiles were limited at the time, but now things like crayon have support for monkey as well as other's so they have a few really good options when it comes to highlighting our code and making it look nice and easier to read.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#7]
Not too bothered about highlighting, but would it kill them to put the code into a proper <textarea> so I can click it, Ctrl-A it, and Ctrl-C it without having to faff about trying to copy the right amount of stuff from the box.
Seriously, BlitzCoder did this over a decade ago, it's not bloomin' hard.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#8]
ElectricBoogaloo wrote:
so I can click it, Ctrl-A it, and Ctrl-C it without having to faff about trying to copy the right amount of stuff from the box.

Try for that MonkeyPlus extension

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#9]
I've got to say that I'm not overly keen on needing an extension to view the website at its full potential. It's not good for mobile browsers and for noobies to the site who don't have the extension installed.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
I'm with sammy I wont install an extension just to get features that any modern website made the last 10 years should do automatically.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#11]
With nikoniko's extension, it shows what this site could become in the future and its up to BRL to add these "simple" features.