Pay what you want - anyone got any XP?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Pay what you want - anyone got any XP?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Today is my lazy day to spam the forums and look up STUFF! :) at the moment I am looking at Pay What you Want, was wondering if any of you have used it, what service did you use, what's your experience with them , and did or do you have any issues with how it all works.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#2]
No personal experience but itch.io seems to be rated as the easiest route to PWYW (and possibly for selling at all) for small indies. Essentially all products get to have a minimum price, which can be $0, and then all buyers are offered the ability to donate more.

I think going full PWYW (as in no minimum) is a move you make to attract attention / boost players or when you genuinely don't care about getting paid. When people post stats from these sales it tends to show that if people can pay nothing they will. e.g.

From: https://twitter.com/S0phieH/status/432309043575521280

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well, not sure about that, the stats you linked and the subsequent check of their recent tweets show that they practically sold nothing until they made the offer, which which point their sales jumped , sure might only be 240$ but that's 240$ they were not getting prior to the offer, and you can attribute the spike to the announcement that I assume they made about it.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yes, but the marketing power of a sale doesn't require you to give the product away. The same dev tried a different sale tactic on a different title of just bouncing the price around for a week and it provided a better actual sales spike in terms of paying customers and higher revenue.

http://www.sophiehoulden.com/results-of-the-swiftstitch-pay-when-you-want-sale/

Like I said, if you want to just get numbers setting the low payment at zero is fine. If you want to get some attention from people who are willing to hand over some cash then just having a sale works (providing you tell people about it).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
Think I am definitely going to go the itch.io route, I can if I want as you pointed out set the bar at £0.00 but I can also set a fair minimum and then lower it to Zero to create that SALE event , either way it seems to give a lot of flexibility.

I still have plenty of time to figure this out when it comes to Hex but I think I will deff be putting some of my other stuff on itch.io.

Would still be nice to hear from some one here who's dealt with them tho .

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#6]
I've not dealt with itch.io personally, but there are quite a few local devs here in Manchester that swear by the site. They seem to be getting a decent reputation with a few of the more popular indie devs too.

My only experience with PWYW was when Hack, Slash, Loot was in a Humble Weekly Bundle. The stats on that were 110k sales, making $550k total, with an average per sale of $5. Humble is a bit of special case though so not sure how useful those stats are to you.

I think the key to the PWYW model is to offer extra value if the customer pays more. There needs to be a decent incentive to not simply pay the minimum. Soundtracks, concept art book, bonus games, etc.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#7]
David, may I ask how you got HSL on a HumbleBundle?

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#8]
They asked me. Not much more to say than that I'm afraid. I'm sure the fact that HSL was already in the Humble Store helped.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#9]
probably helps that it and any other game that shows up tends to have gotten real nice coverage in the press. I'm sure crpyt of the necro dancer will appear in one soon if it's not already.

ordigdug(Posted 2014) [#10]
Joining the Humble Store:

http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/1362814-joining-the-humble-store