Monkey-X Logo/Icon

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey-X Logo/Icon

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#1]
I liked it better back when it didn't have a nose.
It looked more cutesy and welcoming.

Your thoughts?

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
I don't care about the logo at all. The product is what i care about.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#3]
Alright, you got a point.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#4]
Remember to be considerate of the majority of other humans who are not so pragmatic. We all want Monkey to sell better. Everything matters.

Like ideally for picking the logo those in charge would be split testing which ones out of several options (along with other elements) prove to increase purchasing... but doubt split testing on anything will ever be done here. So no hope, no worry, doesn't matter.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#5]
I liked the old one too, but this one is also very nice.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#6]
Here's a thread where we went about talking about the new logo redesign and also some alternative designs:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=7714

I personally don't like the new logo, either, and thought the old one only needed a few tweaks to "fix" it. The new one smacks of something I can't really explain in a politically-correct way other than to call it "British-face-detailitis", something that seems to chronically (and negatively) affect almost exclusively European (and specifically British) games' cartoon mascots. For example:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

I know I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers saying this, but the people who said the old logo was too childish are simply wrong and might be a bit too old or outside that particular realm of art/fashion/marketing to "get it". The simple/cute "Superflat" style trend has been in vogue for some years now, and while it might be dialed back and become more conservative over time as the companies who adopted the style as part of their marketing strategy stop being earth-shakers and become more mainstream (as it should), it will still continue to exist. Simple vector shapes can emphasize a recognizable brand through the mascot, which may or may not appear with the product's logo. It's tied quite a bit to "fresh" startups, of which Monkey should definitely be considered to be marketed as a product of, as it's a fresh language for BRL. Examples of startups going with this style include Github, Trello, Twitter, and Hadoop.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter, and it seems to me that eventually BRL is gonna get tired of trying to appease everyone. But, I think what they had before was on the right track branding-wise. This new version looks a little weird to me. Too "detailed", as I said before, like one of those monkey banks which eat your coins.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#7]
+1 well said

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#8]
Nobuyuki, I believe you hit it on the nail. I personally thought the old logo better. I find the alternative design by rcobra to not fit with Monkey and the new Monkey logo to be too detailed. The alternative logo comes across teenager-esque/young adult and thus seems much more unprofessional than a product that just comes across as, let's call it, playful, like the old Monkey logo was. Those are my thoughts anyways. Ignore them at will. Everyone has their own opinions and in the end I don't know how much modern logos have swayed customers.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#9]
I suspect we tend to worry too much about how much people will be swayed by such things.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
personally I think rcobra's version in the opening post in that thread is perfect, its flat, simple, and would be instantly recognizable in any colour.