Symmetry..

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Symmetry..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
How important do you think it might be ? , it may seem odd but I have only just noticed that my hexanoid levels are an odd number wide resulting in a loss of symmetry, think I onoy just noticed it because iv been spending a lot of time in my editor drawing out levels.

I can very easily, well fairly easily strip a column from the left or right of the game board and restore symmetry which will slightly reduce the playable area and of course reduce the possible number of tiles, neither of which I am overly concerned about there is still bags of room.

But before I do this, I have to ask Should I do this, does it matter if a level has a few extra tiles on the left or right, or does it matter that the raindow I just painted has its center a little off the center of the screen..

would love opinion here.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
It looks weird. I would remove the left row if symmetry is important.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
thats the big question tho, is it important, if I filled in that left side with the app colored tiles would you notice, would you care that the level had a little extra on the left than the right ?

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yes, it would look strange when the setup of the tiles is surpose to be symetric.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#5]
I went for symmetry in Oozing Empires, I think it looks odd in many cases if you don't have it. And in an example like is shown here, I think it is an absolute must.

It's easy to do anyway, just remove a column, move the game half a hex to the right, and draw the red background tiles in the part of your game rectangle not taken up by the board.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#6]
how about this: remove the red borders and you win another column. :D