new logo redesign

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/new logo redesign

rcobra(Posted 2013) [#1]
hi, I'm new here and I would like to thank you for the monkey x, I decided to give something of myself and I did a new logo, I hope you like it.

web version

download
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69870545/other/monk.zip

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#2]
I love it!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I do as well actually, it's simplicity actually offers a lot of flexability..

+1 from me in the hope that Mark, Dev etc like it and use it. Oh and have a star from me as well.. :)

spintop(Posted 2013) [#4]

This old logo may not be suitable for Monkey X because this logo looks like some toys. It makes the public think that Monkey X is not a professional and powerful software.

rcobra's logo is quite good.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#5]
Other than the background color, it looks really good.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#6]
I'd prefer a wider face like the original, it's seared in my mind:

proper use of the glyph and the old monkey logo font can create a nice monochromatic letterhead. The ability for the logo to be condensed to a single tone is a sign of its memorability, as OP correctly recognized. However I feel like his design of a few spheres is not as memorable as the wider face we've come to remember and associate with Monkey.

30 minutes in Illustrator was all the love the old logo really needed to make it shine, anyway.... I never understood what people's problem with its "professionalism" was -- if you want to appear light on your feet you have to separate yourselves from your competition with your own style. The logo was clean before and mostly served this purpose; just needed some touch-ups if you ask me. This 3-up is just a few examples of what the old logo can look like. small changes to the face's angle, upturned rather than downturned ears, eyes brought closer to midline and increased slightly in size, etc.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#7]
Perhaps there should be a Money X logo competition. Then a lot of excellent ideas and logoes will appear.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#8]
This is probably the seventh or eighth thread I've seen on the topic of Monkey's Logo.

My main worry is that, if your primary concern is that the logo of the powerful, multi-target, highly capable language you're using might look a little childish, then you should probably stop looking at the logo, and focus on working on your game a little bit more.

The logo, the name, the syntax, the way you use it, and how good you are at coding.
None of this matters in the slightest.
The end product is all that anyone gives a monkey about, and if you honestly think the language's logo might put people off from playing your game, then you need to make a better game.

spintop(Posted 2014) [#9]
if your primary concern is that the logo of the powerful, multi-target, highly capable language you're using might look a little childish, then you should probably stop looking at the logo, and focus on working on your game a little bit more.

Hi, but a better logo can attract more people download, try and learn this Monkey X language. Many people judge a book by its cover. I think that replacing the current logo is not mainly for the current Monkey X users, but mainly for people who don't realize this language. The company of Monkey X may also want to see a big community using this language.
I am also a new user of this language and learning programming.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#10]
You impress people of a language's abilities by making great games with that language.

Do more of that.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#11]
I like the smiley original one.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#12]
I think, and I may be wrong but at a glance it seems over the months that the people who have raised the logo issue seem to be more artistic than those who do not care, it's possible that those artistic types of people see more in a piece of art than others, so something as seemingly insignificant as a logo for monkey for those people actually means a whole lot more than to non artistic types.

From my own perspective when I see a tool or application that's got a really nice looking logo design it switches me on to finding out more about it, when I see a badly designed logo it instantly switches me off and I am far less likely to dig any deeper, I am the same with video games, my eye's do the initial first pass of a game, if I like the visuals I will look closer at the details.

So for me, personally I don't like the current logo, it's not that its bad, I simply do not like it, so when I look at it I always have it the back of my mind that other people like me would be put off before finding out just how good monkey is, and as a result I kinda want to change it.

WITH ALL THAT SAID.. James is right, if the things being produced by monkey really start to shine, and people know that its made with monkey then that is a far better advertisement for monkey than a nice logo, the problem with it is so many people do NOT advertise that their killer app was made with monkey, so its a little lost on that front.

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#13]
ElectricBoogaloo hit the nail on the head!

I do believe graphics are an important aspect but they are not the MOST important aspect. It's the product and what the product can do that is the most important consideration.

Understandably if the logo was a match stick man holding a banana or something similar then perhaps more effort could be
put into designing a better logo, but the fact that people are not really liking the current design which is great, is an insult to
the individual(s) who are giving up their time for the good of the product - For FREE.

Monkey could always be like TGC products who spend more time on marketing, graphics design than anything else, they forget
to make the 'product' better.

Plugins anyone?