Why only html5 ?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Why only html5 ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I was wondering about this today, why does the websites app section only allow html5 when Flash in a lot of cases would be a far better platform to use ?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
Compatibility maybe?....I don't think Flash works on iOS for example.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I always thought that flash worked on the Apple desktop environment, but I might be wrong, that being said it would be nice if we the developers got to choose, possibly uploading flash instead of html5, or uploading both and then letting the end user select which format they like best or have support for.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yeah, Flash doesn't work on iOS devices, so HTML5s better for .. Um.. Me!!

HTML5s not a bad deal, you just need to think your way around colour issues. It's handy that Alpha works perfectly fine, along with rotation and scaling.
I've got my text display to strip out colours when in HTML5 mode, and when I need super colourful things, I tend to go for a standard "8 base hues drawn in the spritesheet, with added tweaks on faster targets" method of colourising. (See BlastTrax for oodles of fancy colour without the need for flash, or even WebGL.)

It's doable, and any skills you learn trying to get extra oomph out of HTML5 mode will serve you well in other areas.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah im a massive fan of html5 its what I build for and test in all day long, I only ever build for flash once in a blue moon just to make sure its keeping up, but I still think having the option to upload both formats would be really cool.

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#6]
Flash doesn't appear to work on new android things either.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
I think I have been lucky for me Flash just works on everything I have, I wonder if its the new accelerated stuff that is causing problems for some devices.

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#8]
Didn't Adobe abandon Flash for mobile devices?

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#9]
Yes, adobe page says its discontinued for your device blah blah blah.