Monkey X Free - What is wrong with the people?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey X Free - What is wrong with the people?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#1]
I don't get it. Monkey X free edition became now free for commercial usage and in topics on corresponding forums where we spread the word, most replies are negative. Are people so close minded that they don't wanna try it but rather trash talk and drag it into the mud?

I wonder why i care about it?

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#2]
Maybe you're just talking to people who already paid full price and only use the desktop targets anyway? Or are you talking about non-blitz sites?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#3]
People who only use the Desktop target, are REALLY missing the whole bloomin' point!!!

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Any action that will help the popularity of Monkey is well received :) I bought the full version ages ago but have no negativity towards the
product being partially released for free.

It's all good.

In theory, the more people know about it and use it, the more revenue is potentially created.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#5]
I talk about people on the html5ganesdev forum and on the blitzbasic forum.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
Give us a link .

You have two options, either counter their argument with something they lack, valid information, or just ignore them, the internet is full of trolls, every community has its fair share, and not everyone will like what you have to say, you simply have to say your bit and hope the right people read it, hear it and take notice.

Anyone who hates on it for the sake of hatting on it can simply be ignored.

bazmonkey(Posted 2013) [#7]
Dunno, often the only people who will post about something are the negative ones, just a fact of life.

More users == good for everyone. I think its only an issue if pricing/features keep changing, or versions get totally confusing (see Unity?!).

FWIW, I'd make the free version export to *all* targets, perhaps with a file/class limit (and non-commercial only), then everyone would see the power of monkey for themselves. But, I'm sure there are arguments against that ;)

Snader(Posted 2013) [#8]
A lot of people start moaning when someone posts about something being free. The focus should always be on the strong points of a product. It being free is a nice 'extra'.

I had some positive reactions in a Google+ Android topic after I mentioned the biggest selling point: New Star Soccer was made with Monkey.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#9]
Presumably this is the HTML5 dev conversation: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/2680-monkey-new-website-and-now-free-for-html5-commercial-dev/

I can't say that I see unwarranted negativity there. The language syntax being unappealing because of its perceived difference from the more popular languages has been noted here since launch. The low community numbers and lack of compatible tools are also issues that I'd raise as caveats to anyone thinking of developing in Monkey.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#10]
The people who will care the most are the people who are doing games as a business and know the value of publishing to so many targets with relative ease. They are the ones who will pay the most, support it the most, and they are the ones who should be marketed to.

People making things without commercial incentive will always be the people least willing to pay, and will judge it from a perspective which completely misses why it's so amazing. Can't expect them to say nice things or even give it a fair try when they don't really care about what it says it does in the first place.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yeah, I saw no real negativity on the HTML5 forum, except for the guy who didn't want to make an account to download. To the person who said there's no activity on the HTML5 forum, it might be worth pointing out that the better Monkey works, the less activity on platform forums is needed!

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#12]
I guess then I take that wording to strong. Sorry guys.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#13]
Good, honest critique is great, because then you have solid objections to try to counterpoint.
The best way to sell something is to take the arguments and match the benefits to the arguments.

MaxPower(Posted 2013) [#14]
Monkey is a wonderful language.
But (yes theres a but)
There is something missing i cannot put my finger on it,BUT there is something missing.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#15]
I find that the most vocal people in indie dev communities are the ones who have never finished and released a game, even a simple one, so it is probably best to take any opinions they have, good or bad with a pinch of salt.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#16]
For what it's worth, being able to try something out without having to register is a big plus to me. You could potentially be registering an account with a site you're never going to use again (if you don't like it).

Also (and not to sound too negative on the whole thing) I don't think the IDE really allows Monkey to shine as bright as it could. I'm aware there are plenty of people who will say "the IDE is fine, I'd rather Mark do X, Y and Z" but in my opinion the IDE is what is holding back Monkey from new users. There may be bias here though because I absolutely love using JungleIDE.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#17]
For a lot of things I'd agree on the issue of registration, but with a programming language that comes with a free commercial-use licence for some targets, it doesn't seem too much to ask. Maybe there could be a freely downloadable, rarely-updated HTML5 demo for those who just want to look?

As for Ted, it's not all bad. For the beginning programmer it's friendly, simple, and not intimidating.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#18]
I find that the most vocal people in indie dev communities are the ones who have never finished and released a game, even a simple one, so it is probably best to take any opinions they have, good or bad with a pinch of salt.
...which would be the majority of the user base/potential user base. Ignoring their opinion would not seem like a good move from a marketing point of view.