Online documentation

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Online documentation

David Casual Box(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm trying, every day, to convince colleagues to switch to Monkey (instead of HAXE or other competitors...). Most of the time, they say "but, where is the online documentation?". The documentation is HTML based, so it's not a big deal to put it in the web. Mark? :)

PS; kudos for the new website, the "subscribe to topic" and the new name!!

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#2]
Agree, it's a no brainer.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
I can host it at jungleide.com if BRL does not want to for whatever reason. (unless there's any licensing issue with this)

David Casual Box(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks Ziggy, nice idea. Should be a first step, but the issue remains if the newcomers cannot find the documentation on the official website right? The best place for the link should be the Language page, or the homepage in the header, beside a Get Started link.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Honestly I think it just boils down to them not wanting to have to maintain it, this topic has come up so many times, they even flirted with it a few times but seem to have failed to lock it in, I may be wrong but the docs may be online now via the repository.

What I would love, in fact what I think would be best, would be a a system hosted here, where all pro users can edit the docs, all changes made by a pro user then gets a yes or no by some one at brl and the edit either goes live or gets binned.

This community is amazing, and if we all had access to the docs I am sure they would grow in detail very fast without any or minimal support from Simon and Mark.

David Casual Box(Posted 2013) [#6]
Paul, nice proposal. There was a Wiki but it never worked I believe. A new one, open to subscriber to pro licence should be amazing.
For the official site, I still not understand. The doc is already HTML made, the webmaster just have to run an FTP client and push the directory everytime a new build is created by Marc. It's not a technical issue.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#7]
there's a wiki on github.

simonh(Posted 2013) [#8]
OK, we now have online documentation!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#9]
Link:
http://monkey-x.com/docs/html/Home.html

David Casual Box(Posted 2013) [#10]
Amazing!