Monkey X!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey X!

simonh(Posted 2013) [#1]
As you may have noticed, things are looking slightly different around here! We've gone all out to re-launch Monkey with a new website, new domain name, and new free versions of Monkey.

www.monkey-x.com is our new domain name, with X standing for 'X-platform'. We believe this to be a more distinctive, memorable domain name than monkeycoder.co.nz, so from now on, all efforts to promote Monkey will be centered around the new domain name. Please use it when mentioning Monkey to friends and colleagues!

The new free versions of Monkey X replace the old demo versions, and come fully equipped with two targets - desktop and HTML5 - which can be used without restrictions to develop and release commercial games. Also, free version users can now sign up and use the website the same as everyone else - we hope this will encourage more users to try Monkey and join the Monkey community.

Finally, of course, we have the new website, which I'm sure everyone will agree is a huge improvement on the old one! Apart from the sleek new design, which is fully responsive and fluid (try it on your phone!), we've added many new enhancements.

A massive thanks must go to Arthur Bikmullin (devolonter), the hugely talented Monkey user and professional web developer who has very generously donated his free time to improve the website. It was Arthur who approached us around about a year ago with the idea of redesigning the website - we loved his designs, and since then have been working with him to produce the new website. None of this would have happened without Arthur's involvement, so please show your appreciation by offering him a star when he next posts :) (stars can be clicked in the top left corner of posts - one of the new enhancements!).

devolonter(Posted 2013) [#2]
Thanks for the nice words! Glad to see that we finally got a new site and hope you enjoy it. But don’t hesitate to report about bugs or make critical comments.

Thanks to BRL Team that allowed to implement the plan and especially to Simon Harrison, with whom it was really nice to work with! I would also like to thank my wife AhNinniah, which helped me with some graphics and icons!

I regret that I didn’t have time to do everything that I wanted. But I hope in the future we will fix that too.

Cheers!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Love what you have done stunning improvment .. Only missing some of the extra pages in the apps section. Brilliant work tho :)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi! just to say how much I love this new site. It's much better

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#5]
I thought I clicked on the wrong site!
It looks more exciting, that's for sure, though frankly from a utilitarian point of view the old site did what I needed with minimal assets...

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
The "stars" seems to not be keeping when you mark them

EDIT:Me wrong. They're kept

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#7]
Argh! Scary! Change!! *runs*

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#8]
Very nice indeed! Haven't looked on desktop yet but the mobile site looks awesome!

I wasn't able to "request desktop site" from chrome mobile? So will have to wait until tomorrow to see it in its full glory.

I noticed the social icons in the footer didn't work.

Definitely makes monkey seem a more reputable entity!

I wonder, do we have thread pagination now???

Well done all involved :D

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#9]
someone reporting that it crashing on Chrome, yet I'm on Chrome+Win8 and no crashes here.
http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99426

otherwise, great work!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
Chrome here windows 7 all is fine.

I don't see stars in the app's tho.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#11]
The new design looks great!
Also a nice move to make the desktop target free.

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#12]
I'll find the new design rather confusing.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#13]
While I really like it, and it's a big improvement, I have a few personal issues:

1) The narrow font is really really really hard for me to read. There's so much space available, I'm not sure why this choice was made. Such as the bullet points on the store page.

2) There's virtually no color contrast in some areas. And there are light fonts that are unreadable. Like on the store page. It says something below the titles, but I have to highlight it to read it. Also in the forum, where it says how old posts are.

Overall, it's very cool. I just don't understand the narrow, and very hard to read, fonts when so much space is available everywhere.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#14]
I was actually really surprised by the lack of colour and contrast even as I type this my font is hardly noticeable with this background, it really should be black font not gray.

I would also have given each of the forum icons full colour, at the moment the main forum page seems like a huge pale page nothing really stands out, it was a missed opportunity to really make each of the forums pop.

I also miss the links at the bottom of the front page, the apps stuff those links need to also be in the app section seems odd they are not.

Most of this is an easy css fix tho which is really cool because it means it wont be hard for them to tweak it.

its a really cool theme, and as I said in other places around the net tonight, its a massive improvement over what we had design wise, its just a shame we didnt get any new functionality.

Samah(Posted 2013) [#15]
Looks awesome, but typo on the "store" page. ;)

Also I want forum avatars... :(

Capn Lee(Posted 2013) [#16]
Monkey X?

tiresius(Posted 2013) [#17]
I'm interested to know the reason to switch to commercial for HTML, and also include Desktop... for free (!). I thought the HTML only on the demo was more than enough to try out the language. Can someone give the reasoning? Just curious.

I think the new website does look more sleek and hip than the original.
I'd like the ability to set themes like the old page, is there a way to do this? I haven't seen it yet.
Well done devolonter and others involved !

Amon(Posted 2013) [#18]
Woah! Looking nice. A full version of Monkey for HTML5 and Desktop imho is a fantastic idea.

Thanks, Devolonter

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#19]
Hi, the forums look GREAT on the iPad!
But-- when I go to the apps section, the games auto-play and bring the browser to a crawl. May want an option to show a screenshot/play on tap instead for mobile browsers.

FBEpyon(Posted 2013) [#20]
I don't understand why you would of given full desktop access to people, it's a good idea, but most of us paid for the full version so that we can get the other features outside of HTML5, and now I personally fill like I have wasted my money (like when MaxGUI went free) to get the full version. Now unless there is going to be something else available for use in the future that the free products wouldn't be given (like a GUI module).

Thanks, FBEpyon

Samah(Posted 2013) [#21]
@FBEpyon: ...like I have wasted my money (like when MaxGUI went free) to get the full version...

I bought Team Fortress 2 when it first came out, and now it's free to play. Should I ask for my money back?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#22]
Awesome! Got a nice shock opening the site today! Great work everyone - I'm sure it will help drive new users to the product!!!

Soap(Posted 2013) [#23]
Good changes! Hope things continue to improve.

I agree about the contrast not being high enough in some places.

The "ALL ACTIVE TOPICS" is now more difficult to read, because things are more spaced out than before without improvements to when things were last posted.

RENGAC(Posted 2013) [#24]
Wow! I really like the new design !

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#25]
What a surprise!

Love the new design but I do have to voice (as others) my concerns... desktop for free? I'd have to agree that HTML5 only was a best option.

Also, letting the free users be able to post on the fora is my biggest concern. It was great that only paying customers can post - always worked so well for b3d/bmax and here, where the community is one of the best I've ever found. With this, be ready to fight spammers, newbies without a clue and all sorts of things that happens everywhere else, and it's annoying as hell. Please, please re-consider this.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#26]
Great new update... now go and update www.blitzmax.com ;)

I agree the contrast needs a big improvement!!

@Slotman
Also, letting the free users be able to post on the fora is my biggest concern. It was great that only paying customers can post

It will build the community up, with Monkey(X) having just over 1000 members in 2 years it will really help! Maybe they can only post in those sections?

@Samah
I bought Team Fortress 2 when it first came out, and now it's free to play. Should I ask for my money back?

LOL!

@FBE
I don't understand why you would of given full desktop access to people

Again to build community... also I really only use Monkey for mobile development...

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#27]
The new website is a massive improvement, it's sleek design creates a professional first impression which is so important.
Great work guys.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#28]
What! and just in time for Christmas,

I still think 'monkey' should have been dropped all together.
Also could we get the forum BB codes posted on the 'new topic' and 'reply' pages I best many here don't know you can embed youtube videos in posts.

A free desktop\html5 version will hopefully build the community so I think that was a good move.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#29]
Amazing site update, well done Devolonter, not a HTML table in sight! :D

I think making the Desktop version free as well is a bold and brave decision. It make's sense though, HTML5 does not really reflect well for Monkey in my opinion, great for testing code out quickly, but for an actual game/app... nah.

And pagination, oh my god, pagination!

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#30]
Great job on the new website!

And thank you for listing fantomEngine. But there are no links to all the modules/frameworks you have listed there. On purpose?

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#31]
Let's hope its as secure as previous big changes that got hacked :/

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#32]
I spread the word a little:

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/2680-monkey-new-website-and-now-free-for-html5-commercial-dev/

Snader(Posted 2013) [#33]
I already started a thread on Google+ in an Android Development community.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#34]
The new monkey site is going to take a bit of getting use to. . Though I think that the apps section could have done with a some sort of search option along the lines of what you see in the World of Spectrum archives. And it would have been a nice idea to be able to 'select all' for a code/codebox without having to do a select/drag/copy/paste. And what happened to being able to preview? I you could use that to format a post so that it made sense before finally posting.

Redbeer(Posted 2013) [#35]
The site looks great.
It's certainly a drastic change for the better.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#36]
>It will build the community up, with Monkey(X) having just over 1000 members in 2 years it will really help! Maybe they can only post in those sections?

+1 More people using Monkey should be greater concern than anything else. If we stay active and encourage positive posts then there will be no problem with more users. The console targets will be what get people to invest monkey into pro. More bait to get people to give Monkey a chance is good!

Would also be good to have pro users have a tag next to their username. This would get people to upgrade to pro also.

Dash in the domain name is a real sin. It makes it pointless to be a .com sadly. Were there no other options out of all of the ideas we posted here? .io domain names are treated just as well as .coms by Google and others now. There are plenty of good names available still.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#37]
I think all of the moves are great: New name, new site, new free version. I too think HTML 5 would have been fine on the free version, but I understand the reasoning for adding the desktop. It might be a good idea to only let free users post in the beginning section.

Also, whenever I click on a thread it takes me to the last page, which is kind of confusing if you haven't clicked on it yet!

Devolonter, great work and thanks for the efforts!

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#38]
I think this site looks amazing, very sleek and professional looking.

I certainly don't think the name 'Monkey' should have been dropped, what's so special about other names like Python, PHP?

Only time will tell whether or not it will work, what's important is the quality of the product, a name is just a name, let's not fight over it. ;)

well done on the new design, heading in the right direction.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#39]
Site looks good, though I think I preferred the layout of the old forums - as people have said too much empty space and too much scrolling needed to get around the place. I'm sure it will grow on me though, and hopefully get some themes.

I also think HTML5 was fine for the free version, and that free users should only be able to post in a specific part of the forum to stop spam / new users asking questions and trolling all over the place - let's keep it confined to the beginners area until they purchase.

Did I read it right and you can release commercially with the free version?
That suprises me if true, especially with the desktop target now being free - although again I understand it's a fine line between getting new users and keeping the existing paying members happy.

It's posted here that the PSM target is also included in the free version of Monkey - is this intended or an oversight?

All in all seems like a nice update, well done to all involved but please don't sit back and leave it to gestate - listen to the community and keep updating and fixing/tweaking the site.

Happy xmas!

devolonter(Posted 2013) [#40]
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments, and especially for the notes! Glad to see that most people like the new design, but I also see that there are few things that bother some of you.

1. Contrast
It seems that some users have problems with lack of contrast. I tried to make less important things less contrasting. So they don’t distract from the main information. I tested design on multiple devices and never had a problem with reading. But I believe that the issue exists since everyone has different monitor settings, so I’ll try to do something with it.

2 .Themes
I see that some people miss them. Unfortunately, it’s hard enough to support multiple themes for all kinds of devices. We had a lot of problems even with this one! However, if you tell what you would like to see in them, I’ll possibly try to think out something.

3. Active Topics
I think we will do something with this template.

So, I think we will find a compromise on these issues sooner or later. But as Simon said, I donated my free time and I ran out of it... Now it's time to return to real work, so do not expect quick changes. I will try to return to it soon, but most likely it will happen next year.

P.S. I don’t think I have the right to discuss it. But I see some people do not like the free Desktop Monkey version. Without this step, Monkey will unlikely become popular. People need to see how it’s easy to switch between targets! Besides, now there are many free products with which is very difficult to compete... I just hope that free Desktop Monkey version will give us new users, possibly new module developers and new people who can spread the word about Monkey, and help to improve it!

If free license users bring any issues, we can limit the user without stars (and a free license) with one post a day, or something like that. But currently, I don’t think it makes sense to solve such issues because they do not exist yet.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#41]
I think allowing desktop free is probably good, but possibly it should not have included Mac OS. I doubt whether many Windows or Linux users would buy a tool like Monkey to target desktop anyway, I am sure that for most people it is more for the mobile platforms, with Mac the only desktop I am not too certain about.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#42]
the 'new apps' thing should be at the top of the home page

bruZard(Posted 2013) [#43]
the short version: i really fuckin' love it :D

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#44]
Monkey X? What has changed?

Wow.. checking things out. The site does look more mainstream.

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#45]
Great job on the new website!

Looks more pro!

therevills(Posted 2013) [#46]
IMHO The Fav icon really needs some work... kind of looks like it was done by a 5 year old....

Jason W.(Posted 2013) [#47]
I'm very pleased with the new site. Well Done!!

Jason

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#48]
Am I the only person who liked the old Monkey logo better? :)

To address the concerns of people believing the forums are going to be flooded with new users: That's usually actually a better thing than a bad thing, and while the forums had a dedicated core of users, I definitely felt like it was pretty dead in here. I think a good balance might be to offload paying users into an "Advanced Monkey Programming", "Monkey X Pro", or "Monkey Pros" forum, where the core of us who have been contributing for a while can ask each other perhaps harder questions, and be more likely to get a response from someone that isn't just a "guess", maybe even get responses from some of the regular contributors to the language. Obviously, making a new thread would be restricted to paid users. That way I think, new and free users don't have to feel like they're stuck in a ghetto, and paid users can get some level of support that's better than the other offerings.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#49]
Am I the only person who liked the old Monkey logo better? :)

i think both logos still feel too "kid-centric" for a professional tool.

didn't we all take a shot at the logo a while back?
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5290&page=2
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5290&page=3

impixi(Posted 2013) [#50]
To be honest I much prefer the old site. No point articulating why, as it appears I'm in a small minority, and a lot would have to be changed to cater to my whims... Subjectivity is an interesting thing...

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#51]
I like the clean new look, however I would like slightly more colour and contrast. Perhaps as a half way house to full on themes, just some colour options would be nice.
The one thing I *REALLY* hate is the monkey logo- it's always looked very childish. Something a bit more like the '12 Monkeys' logo would fit the bill better.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#52]
Heh, I asked what you did not like about the graphics on Oozing Empires, and I suspect it is the same thing. I do think my AI icons look a bit childish on the Settings screen (though I like them on the main screen).

I have to say, though, in a world where multi-billion-dollar companies cannot be bothered to skuemorph their icons, maybe it's time for programmers to forget about fancy graphics that are not their meat anyway..

Soap(Posted 2013) [#53]
All threads/pages all have the same title. They should be thread title + main site title so for example "Monkey X! - Monkey X"

Having thread titles in all caps is an issue.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#54]
Am I the only one that thinks it sounds like a daffy duck cartoon to the planet X :)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#55]
Man, I love Duffy. If it sounds like that, then even better! Hail to the duck!

Soap(Posted 2013) [#56]
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/favicon.ico

Old favicon is still on the server. It looks better than the new favicon.

degac(Posted 2013) [#57]
WTF!?!? I though to a fish-site or to an error in my shortcuts!

Niiicee! Good work... (I need to explore the new website deeper !)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#58]
One thing that has been bothering me... why the thread title doesn't appear on the window title? It's confusing when I open several threads at once in multiple tabs, all of them just showing "Monkey X"...

Armitage1982(Posted 2013) [#59]

Soap(Posted 2013) [#60]
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php needs to now forward to http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php because right now many Google links are broken.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#61]
I think that this forum needs several improvements. Moreover, the monkey logo is not quite professional.

Monkey X's logo should look professional. For example, this logo looks professional:

Using a monkey silhouette for the logo may be quite nice.

devolonter(Posted 2013) [#62]
I think we should not be so serious. Think about Monkey logo as a mascot. For example, the mascot of GitHub is Octocat, mascot of Linux - Tux, PHP has Elephant as a mascot. Actually, I can give many similar examples. Don't they look a little childish? Why it doesn’t bother others and why it should bother us? If you don’t like the official representation of the Monkey character, you may use your own...

The first mockups with new Monkey logo were represented a year ago, and it’s very sad that only now when we’ve done so much, someone says that he doesn’t like it.

About favicon. I really have troubles with creating small icons 32x32 and smaller. So it would be great if someone makes a better favicon!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#63]
I was one of the few happy with the old site, but the new one is fine too. I can adapt to things being a bit more spread out even though it would not be my choice. Pages going forward instead of backward (I mean, showing the latest page as #3 and going to the last one you saw) are fine too. I like the Monkey icon though I liked him just as well without the X. I do have to say that the favicon must go!

A couple of suggestions for the apps section:

1. "Playable" vs Non-playable" - I don't think this is a good description, when the criterion for 'playable' is basically "HTML5, and uploaded to the site". I'm not sure what the benefit is supposed to be especially with regard to enforcing HTML5 - lots of people including me don't like using that. If I could upload Flash apps I would do so. HTML5 may theoretically be more reliably playable in all browsers, but in truth I'd guess Flash would still beat it on that basis too!

And for the user, an app is no more playable if it is on the Monkey-X site than if it links to an off-site app.

2. Small thing, but screenshots should have PNG as an option. If you convert an image with lots of flat colours (like many games) to JPG it will either be huge or have lots of crawly colour artefacts.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#64]
For me any kind of improvement is progress. All these changes to the site and the fact that Monkey is climbing that ladder of must own x-platform games programming languages shouts out progress. A lot of progress.

I think the strategy to increase the amount of users by allowing forum access to anyone coupled with a version of monkey that is out the box ready for development is a good strategy and a good move.

I'm of the belief that an open forum is a more productive forum when handled properly. For instance a closed forum like the BB forums of old meant there was no new influx of talent, personality and variety. Granted some people who join may cause problems but the risk is minimised if good moderation is in place.

I just came back to this site after visiting the BlitzMax/BlitzBasic forums and reading the Monkey-X thread over there. I'm disappointed with what I read over there because some of the members posting in that thread deemed it upon themselves to be the owners of Blitz Research but also that it is their right to exclude people. Instead of embracing the good news they were sort of shocked by the changes. The closed forum as it were has created a sort of member Institutionalisation i.e. a bit like a prisoner who's spent 20 years in jail. When it all changes for them or something happens that shakes the foundations of that closed space they are in, you end with members who post much like the few in that thread.

Variety is a beautiful spice. :)

Ramble over....

therevills(Posted 2013) [#65]
The first mockups with new Monkey logo were represented a year ago, and it’s very sad that only now when we’ve done so much, someone says that he doesn’t like it.

You cant please everyone - so don't try ;) And every one is entitled to their own opinion...

About favicon. I really have troubles with creating small icons 32x32 and smaller. So it would be great if someone makes a better favicon!

I know what you mean - I hate doing the app icon for my games... maybe just a simple silhouette of the monkey face?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#66]

devolonter(Posted 2013) [#67]
You cant please everyone - so don't try ;) And every one is entitled to their own opinion...
Yes, I understand. Just wanted to say that this opinion was very important a year ago. Now it's a little bit late. But I admit that not everyone saw topic with mockups, though.

maybe just a simple silhouette of the monkey face
Thanks for the advice! I’ll try to do something with it.

@AdamRedwoods Thanks! But, unfortunately they are not clear and blurry. It is a main issue I deal with during the creation of favicon. Here is required pixel by pixel work or something like that.

Snader(Posted 2013) [#68]
Site looks and works great! Thanks for all the effort!

bazmonkey(Posted 2013) [#69]
Love the work done on the site -- great job to all involved. Much more modern and welcoming now, in my opinion. New domain name very nice.
We have a history of playing with the logo, so dont take it as meaning anything much..! A partial silhouette style does look quite nice, though it begins to look a bit like the mochi robot logo perhaps (didnt try a favicon - they are really tricky actually):

http://goodreactions.com/test/monkey-new.svg
(adapted from an old svg - but I gave him taller hair and bigger ears!).

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#70]
I think I said it before but I love this new site design. That all. I'm enjoying it much more now.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#71]
I think we should not be so serious. Think about Monkey logo as a mascot. For example, the mascot of GitHub is Octocat, mascot of Linux - Tux, PHP has Elephant as a mascot. Actually, I can give many similar examples. Don't they look a little childish? Why it doesn’t bother others and why it should bother us? If you don’t like the official representation of the Monkey character, you may use your own...

Well I'm certainly not trying to step on any toes. Overall I like what you have done with the site. However, as food for thought, all those examples you mention of funny logos have one major difference from Monkey- they're not trying to sell a commercial product. Think about that. Also, there is a perception that seems to hound Blitz (and I presume Monkey) that it's a kind of toy and not a 'proper' language. I think that is a misinformed opinion, however the Monkey logo seems to play right into that perception.

Brand image is important if you want to sell something, just a fact of life.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#72]
bazmonkey - I like the second of your two Monkey-X logos and text a lot. Only think is I think the drop-shadow might be better going the same direction on image and text.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#73]
The second logo in bazmonkey's post is very excellent. I think that this logo can give confidence to the public that Monkey X is a reliable and powerful software.

Volker(Posted 2013) [#74]
I' missing the preview button.
On the old website I could see all posts a member made by clicking on profile
and then on posts.
Would be great to have this things back!

degac(Posted 2013) [#75]
Found a little 'missing'
click on Forum Codes (above the text area for posting reply)
A panel will show the shortcuts supported. Unfortunately on my 16:9 screen I cant' see more than CODE shortcut... CodeBox, Youtube [just in full screen mode] (and what else???) are not present/visible. Maybe you need a scroller or something else

Cheers

edit: tested on Chrome

edit2: tested on FF... in full screen mode I can see all the shortcut (even Youtube)

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#76]
Is there any chance of a darker alternate colour scheme? I'm using a pretty big screen and it's very bright now...i like the blitzbasic blues.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#77]
Any one accidentally pressed the "subscribe" button instead of the "reply" button when posting? I thinks its muscle memory from the old site.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#78]
The "Active Topics" page is pretty bad on the iPad IMHO. The same forum title font is used as a thread title, this when viewed in conjunction with the indistinct overall table style(large spaces between thread titles, similar spaces between forum titles, similar font styles between forum titles and thread titles with similar colouring too), makes for a lot of forced concentration, when before all it took was a quick scan within a tiny scroll area. Also the "new" text is not in line, vertically, with the thread title.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#79]
I think the star's need to also be made more evident and probably moved to the bottom right of all posts, inst other popular forum software any kind of merit, thumb up, beans, +1 type system tends to reside in the bottom right of a post, for example you read the post, and then give it a boost,+,star,Beans if you liked the content, having the star at the top seems counter productive and its also near impossible to see in both its unclicked and clicked forms.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#80]
the useful data at a glance on mobile kinda stinks too. Can't see when the last post was, only the last topic posted in.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#81]
Any one accidentally pressed the "subscribe" button instead of the "reply" button when posting? I thinks its muscle memory from the old site.

Just did this today :(

benmc(Posted 2013) [#82]
The forum CSS is very frustrating. At first glance, you do think that it looks much nicer than it used to. Everything is very pleasing to the eye BUT then you have to start using it on a day to day basis, and you realize how it's really not a usable design for a forum.

1) The spacing between threads has WAY too much padding. The ability to look at a screen or a search and find what you need to know is very very frustrating.

2) The color contrast is way too stark. The titles are very dark, but the last-posted info is far too light. You go from everything popping out to having to readjust your eyes to read the details. It's headache forming.

3) All CAPS is hard to read. The titles are all in caps. Not only do I have to be in a constant state of scrolling and eye-shifting, I have to also decipher what I'm supposed to be reading because all CAPS letters tend to blend together. A forum is all about reading, it's all about pushing and pulling important data. Please look at the biggest and most popular forums in the world, and they aren't styled so much and typically, titles of posts are all squished together in a search, and there is very little CAPS used, and a lot of times you have blue and black text so you know what to READ and what to CLICK.

This isn't a rant, it's hopefully insight after a week of using the forum system - or trying to - and finding that it's become almost unusable in a very frustrating way.

I've developed my own style sheet that I plugin with Firefox developer tools now whenever I want to actually do any reading - and that's just not right.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#83]
Make the current Monkey X forum as this forum but replace all the blue colors with brown colors. Then the new Monkey X forum should be quite nice!
http://forum.retrogamecoding.org/

devolonter(Posted 2013) [#84]
Thanks for the feedback. Finally I have some free time and I can begin to work on forum templates improvement. Hope we can upload update soon.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#85]
I miss a function to resize the font used for the content. On my 1920x1080 screen the text it too small compared to the padding elements. When I zoom the browser until the font is readable, the paddings become so big, that nearly no content remains on the screen now. I have to scroll a lot. And I would prefer to have more than 10 posts on a screen, than have to swap the page over and over again.

If you use the "Search" and then click on a result you will get only this single post, but not the whole thread. This is not very helpful. I would prefer to get back the behavior like it was in the old forum.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#86]
excellent.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#87]
It would be nice if there were an option on the search screen to give only threads, but sometimes you do want to find individual posts out of long threads too.

In the absence of such a button, you can still go to a post in the thread, and then click on the thread title in the topic name link in the top left to get the full thread.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#88]
I'll ask for it again: please, PLEASE put the threads title into the page's title! It's very hard to open multiple tabs and then seeing something like this:

Just having "Monkey X" as the title of every window is just wrong...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#89]
devolonter, I dont recall if I suggested this yet or not, but if you do move the STAR's to the more logical and obvious location of the bottom right of each post, it might be a cool idea if you also add some other social buttons down there as well, like facebook like, twitter tweet buttons, and possibly google + +1 button, all of which is fairly simply to add to any theme and would allow all website users to very quickly share a post with a much wider audience.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#90]

These yellow square faces look strange. Using another icon may be better.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#91]
They remind me of the mcp from tron

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#92]
They remind me of the mcp from torn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwcFNzANmGY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sionco(Posted 2014) [#93]
Also,
When you reply to a topic, there is the nice 'forum codes' link to the top right.
But when you create a new topic, it isn't anywhere to be seen.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#94]
I miss "Users Previous Posts" also, it was a good indication whether a user was still active and in turn whether their code archive code would be up-kept.

degac(Posted 2014) [#95]
Would be a nice feature to have a 'copy source' button when displayed CODE/CODEBOX... I know I'm lazy :P

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#96]
Ctrl-C does the job anyway.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2014) [#97]

I miss "Users Previous Posts" also, it was a good indication whether a user was still active and in turn whether their code archive code would be up-kept.

Same here, that's the biggest loss for me.

The new site's a great improvement in many ways, but I agree with pretty much everything benmc said up there. (Also, we really need post previews back!)

simonh(Posted 2014) [#98]
The user posts page is still there, it just hasn't been updated with the new design yet:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/userposts.php?user=1

I've made a couple of tweaks - the page title now includes the topic title again and I've updated the favicon.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#99]
Thank you *very much* for adding the topic's title into the title bar! Much easier to navigate now :)

therevills(Posted 2014) [#100]
Favicon is a lot better :)

I'm missing the scroll to the bottom feature by clicking on the subject link at the top of the page since the new site went live, any chance of getting it back?

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#101]
HTML5 demos used to work in portrait and landscape IIRC, now they only work on landscape on the iPad.

spintop(Posted 2014) [#102]
The new favicon is better. Thanks. Please continue to improve this website. Thanks again.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#103]
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but if you edit a post on the first page of a 2+ page thread, it sends you to the last page instead of the page where you edited the content. It's a little bit annoying user experience wise.

Also, just putting this out as an idea, but some 16x16 gravatar avatars next to the star would be nice. It'd make it easier to recognize a post by who posted it. It's also stupidly easy to implement gravatar so I don't see why not.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#104]
Gravatar is a brilliant idea and hassle free for the brl web team as well very little work required to implement it, I would rather see a little larger avatar in a forum typical location tho , to the left of this text <<< would be really nice.

spintop(Posted 2014) [#105]
Hi, two suggestions:

1. Please pin the threads of Mollusk IDE, Jungle Ide and Jump IDE in the Monkey Programming sub-forum. (although they are not this company's products)

2. After we enter each sub-forum, only 10 discussion threads are displayed on one page. Please increase the number of discussion threads from 10 to 20.

Thanks a lot.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#106]
Loving the new website!

The only thing missing for me is the ability to click on a user profile and view all of their specific forum entries. Nice to be able to see what Mark (or another user) has been up-to recently or finding one of my old entries.

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#107]
Tweaks/bugs list:

Could the login links be changed so they don't both start with "s"... So maybe login and signup? It is counter intuitive every time to have to actually read what the links say!

Could the subscribe email notifications also scroll to the post in question? Its a pain having to scroll down.

Could the post and subscribe buttons be switched around. Currently the UI is not consistent. If you create a post then "update post" is on the right. If you edit a post then "update post" is on the left. I think on the left is the natural position for the post button. It would solve the accidental subscribe clicks people have been having too.

Could the forum topic title on the thread list goto page one. Maybe have a second link that navigates to the latest post (on the topic list). Currently it just goes to the last page of the topic so you either have to scroll down lots or go back pages depending on what you were wanting to do when you clicked the forum thread.

The forum codes popup doesn't work for me.

The social media icons and some of the forum icons need some more anti-aliasing

The language flags need a slightly strong border. The Russian flag with white stripe makes the icons seem uneven.

Could we have the option to list forums by our own most visited. Perhaps make it so this choice is saved too for next time. I only read about 3 or 4 forums so it would be nice to have the ones I read at the top of the page. If not this feature, then could we possibly reorder the forums a little. The "general" type boards seem an awful long scroll down.

Could we get "goto start" and "goto end" buttons for forum navigation. Currently only back/forwards.

simonh(Posted 2014) [#108]
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll make some improvements soon.

Skn3 - on your last point, the arrow buttons are 'goto start' and 'goto end'.

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#109]
Hey ah whoops, perhaps a prev/next as well then :) ?

Raph(Posted 2014) [#110]
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but I would love to see the forum name in the tab title. Thread titles do show up, but not forums... I often open multiple tabs, one per forum with new stuff.

MaxPower(Posted 2014) [#111]
I would like to see the ability to change the colours and fonts.I like a dark interface like Carbon.Other than that i think the new site is well laid out.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#112]
Doing a forum search for a keyword or phrase, then clicking on one of the resulting thread links brings up the single post from that thread that contains the phrase but not the full thread that contains this post. This gives the misleading view that there was only one post on the thread with no others. The full thread should be displayed with the view located at the correct post within the thread.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#113]
Agree, but that's not a new thing, the forum search always worked this way.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#114]
Why not make a full featured phpBB (https://www.phpbb.com) forum, from the beginning on?

Prepare yourself for some thousand users with some hundred thousand or even a million postings.
The current forum here is so simple and I find it not easy to read. Because it is not easy to read and use,
topics get split into Part1, Part2, ... Part8 and so on. Now you have all this different parts floating around.
I don't know what forum codes can be used because the popup window is empty.
With phpBB you have also a much better input area, you have a quote button for each posting and much more.
You can also change the design to Monkey style colors and use the Monkey logo.
Additionally forum users are able to choose their own preferred style out of the styles you install
(maybe 5 styles to choose from, for different tastes).

The community/forum is the heart of Monkey. It is the base where Monkey users meet to exchange all this codes,
ideas and help, so the forum part is very important and should get some more attention in my opinion.
Think of 7.000 users making 700.000 postings after a while... and Part1 to Part40 floating around in the middle of this
some hundred thousand postings. It will be a mess, but it has already started. ;)
Maybe you add more forums later (german, french, etc), and each forum alone may have some hundred thousand postings,
full of useful codes, tips 'n tricks. Those forums should be a pleasure to use.

The next important thing for such a programming language product is the IDE. It is the same: very simple.
Too simple, as a professional tool for professional developers.
After 1 day using the editor, I changed the background and foreground colors of the "Console", "Projects"
and "Code" windows in the C++/QT code, because the default white color hurts my eyes.
The Editor has dock windows, that's nice. But why put "Projects", "Code", and "Debug" tool windows
all in one dock window, so I can't see all at the same time, if I want? (dock windows are useful
only if we are able to arrange everything like we want)
I consider things like code completion and showing function arguments while editing standard nowadays.
The help window should also be undock-able to put it on second or third screen.
Also, I don't want to switch away from my code view when pressing "F1" for help on a keyword or function.
Being able to change the help colors in the options would also be nice. It is again the white background
that is a no-go for my hyper-sensitive eyes and central nervous system. ;)

It would help the product much if the editor/IDE gets pimped to be a professional tool, IMO.
It is part of the whole product and part of the product image. It is the central tool for the Monkey user,
the tool where (s)he spends most of his/her time.

Please just take it as some ideas and suggestions for improvement. No offense intended! Just my opinion,
and I like to freely talk about what I think.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#115]
Danilo I have been banging on about that for years their never going to change the forum, actually boggles me but its their call :/

As to the IDE, I have no idea what the deal is there, but I think it was contracted work and now that's it done mark is reluctant to spend more on it, that aside Monkey has a number of really cool editors, take a look at Jungle (don't make the mistake of buying anything but a lifetime licence, that's still biting me in the ass :( ) look at Mollusk as well.

Personally I code in both my out of date Jungle and my Upto date Mollusk, Mollusk opens all my module code and Jungle opens my project code, helps me keep things all separated out.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#116]
Agree, but that's not a new thing, the forum search always worked this way.

Actually the old forum showed you the full thread located to the relevant post. The Blitzbasic website still uses the old forum search code, try it over there. Currently you see only a snippet of the relevant thread unfortunately.

simonh(Posted 2014) [#117]
Doing a forum search for a keyword or phrase, then clicking on one of the resulting thread links brings up the single post from that thread that contains the phrase but not the full thread that contains this post. This gives the misleading view that there was only one post on the thread with no others. The full thread should be displayed with the view located at the correct post within the thread.

Click the the thread title to see the full thread.

Why not make a full featured phpBB (https://www.phpbb.com) forum, from the beginning on?

This forum is closely integrated with all other parts of the website (forum topics for apps for example), so using a third-party forum is not an option.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#118]
One more thing about the Apps section:
When browsing Apps section you get 2 Apps per page, and if you want to look at all Apps,
it is already like 130 pages or so that you browse. On the right side it shows 4 latest playable Apps.
Is it possible to add a button under this like "Show all playable" or "More...", so interested users/customers
can get a quick overview of all _playable_ Apps to try, without the need to browse all 130 pages?
Or make the "PLAYABLE" header a link to show all playable Apps?

Thanks!

Raph(Posted 2014) [#119]
Another minor thing -- clicking a user's name takes you to their profile, but there is no way to get from there to see their posts. Searching for their name only works if it's unique enough (mine isn't). This would be handy when I am finding what other code someone helpful wrote, etc.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#120]
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7637&post=75302 - This post is one page back

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#121]
I like the layout of this recent change but its still not addressing the now massive issue of the forums looking like a massive solid white wall.

If anything I think it's made things worse, by all means keep the layout, I like the new css design for the post blocks and user names, but its all still far to bright, its actually crazy how bright things are now just with those bold names being done and the bordered post box's being away.

PLEASE.. darken things down and alternate the posts colours slightly to make it pop out at us, this is all very very hard for me to read , specially when its a lot of text.

[edit] - Looks like I posted while your in the middle of actually working on it so with a bit of luck your working on the whiteout issue.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#122]
I like them white. It's clean, minimalistic, organized and easy to follow. I would not change it.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2014) [#123]
It's not the whiteness that's the problem, just the separation of post/background elements by contrast. It's really hard to look at.

skape(Posted 2014) [#124]
I like the white, I might simply try making the "posts area" background slightly darker to make the post bodies "pop" a little more. Dunno.

simonh(Posted 2014) [#125]
It's not the whiteness that's the problem, just the separation of post/background elements by contrast. It's really hard to look at.

Really hard to look at - is that not a slight overstatement?

Yellow text on a pink background would be really hard to look at. Spinning, psychedelic animated gifs in the background would be really hard to look at. This...I'm not so sure.

John Galt(Posted 2014) [#126]
Could do with darkening the line around the posts- it's pretty hard to see here.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#127]
The user posts page is still there, it just hasn't been updated with the new design yet:

Any ETA to get this fixed? Also are we getting the preview button back any time soon?

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#128]
The search is still pretty bad. Searching for a phrase brings up a single post from a forum thread even if its got 100 posts spread across multiple pages. Even the post that it comes up gives you no indication where within the 100 posts the the found post has come from, forcing you to manually search each page of posts from the thread. Searching for stuff in the MiniB3D thread can be a real pain for example.

Please, can we have the same functionality that we had from the old forum, where searching simply located you within the thread, instead of just giving you a tiny snippet from the thread.

Also, you still can't do a "Click here to see the authors other posts".

Volker(Posted 2014) [#129]
Sammy, use Google instead:
yoursearchterm site:http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/

Also, you still can't do a "Click here to see the authors other posts"

That's pretty important! Sometime I know I or anyone else has posted something to a question which comes up,
but I can't find it without this.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#130]
Ah, nice tip Volker, thank you! :)

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#131]
You also cant create topics on mobile devices at all the button is missing.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#132]
You also cant create topics on mobile devices at all the button is missing.

Wow! I never noticed that till you said!

You can see the issue when you resize this site in your browser (as its using a responsive design).

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#133]
While it is nice to look at, the new website doesn't work good on mobile at all. Even on desktop you see quirks.

Also they threw links to other 3rd party products out. Wonder why. Maybe not good enough for their standard now.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#134]
Toooo much white , everything else light grey, a bit hard on my eyes (just my two cents worth) , as others are saying "contrast"

Good to see Desktop is free, Mobile Development is what Monkey is really about isn't it ? otherwise we would still be using Max wouldn't we ?

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#135]
FYI create topic and search only appear in mobile landscape mode

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#136]
The main gallery slider on the home page does not update it self (scroll throught the sub pages). You have to click on it. Please make it update itself.

degac(Posted 2014) [#137]
Very stupid question/request.

Is there a way to 'read' the last 'stable' version of MonkeyX to download?
I mean, in the user account page I can find a link to 'MonkeyXPro77f.zip'. But this page - I suppose - is blocked.
I would like to read from an external program the latest version, check with the installed one, and show an alert.
Maybe a txt file somewhere I can safely read the content.

Thanks

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#138]
@degac: I've requested this before, but no luck

Derron(Posted 2014) [#139]
If you need to access a restricted area:

- build a script hosted on your website
- this script uses your credentials to fetch the content of the page (cookies)
- this script caches the information it found (to avoid flooding-functionality)
- your app then relies on the information it gets from your script

advantage: if something changes, you just have to change your script, not the whole application.

bye
Ron

degac(Posted 2014) [#140]
@Derror:
I already tried that solution, but as for security reasons account access can not to be pass over (Ie: you need to type in user+password in the fields). The account infos are not exposed (of course) in the URL.
Same for the free version of Monkey. A direct link to the latest demo is not possible. You need to register to the site.
And to me all this seems very over complicated to have only a text info...

I will prefer that at least there will be a downloading link for the demo version, as it will be easier to 'pack' the direct link in an application (direct download...) or site made with Monkey for example...

In any case I think putting this info (latest complete version number and direct link to free version) could be easy added somewhere. I dont think it's an hard work to do.