Curated Netplay Framework

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Curated Netplay Framework

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#1]
Something I would like to see would be a netplay framework that end users could download, already populated with a bunch of different games. The framework would offer abstracted netplay hooks to the client games, would offer the option to download more from some sort of repository, and would handle multiplay lobbies for the games.

I just had this flash of an idea-- a window with a list of different games in it, possibly with picture icons.

Especially if it was multiplatform, I think a lot of people might like that sort of thing. I don't know how one would arrange such a thing, how money would be made off of it if at all or anything like that-- but it might allow small multiplayer games to get the exposure they needed to maintain a critical mass of players so they don't wither away from the empty lobby death spiral.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
you mean this?
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3261

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#3]
That was supposed to be a collection of Monkey games bundled as a single app.

I think zoqfotnik is thinking of a programming language and platform agnostic netplay hub.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
I read it as Monkey Touch but with network and multi player games, guess zoqfotpik could clear up a little what he's meaning.

either way it sounds interesting.

As for monkeytouch, I did hope it would become an annual thing but interest in doing stuff with it seemed to fade so :/

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#5]
I was thinking of a platform agnostic netplay hub with a repository of games and a simplified API that the programmers would use to make their games compliant.