Advertising with AdMob and others

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Advertising with AdMob and others

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#1]
Has anyone spend money promoting their game with AdMob or a similar service? I'm hoping to have my game out there (Google Play Android Market) before Christmas, just wondering if it's worth spending a few buck to try and get some downloads?

Can you choose which games you want your ad to appear in? I'd like my game to be only advertised in certain "similar" games. And how do they charge you? is it per click on your ad, or can you get per download of your app? I know they don't pay much to developers per click, do they charge much per click to their advertisers? e.g. if they pay 1 cent per click to the advertiser, how much do they charge to the person who is providing the ad?

EDIT: My quick Google of this is not at all positive. Very expensive to advertise on! Any suggestions for something more affordable or other ways to promote your game would be appreciated :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm not sure one can do much these days unless the product sells for $20 or so, or it's already a hit and you're just spending some of the income to keep it in the public eye. Maybe there are still some of the old-style 'sharing' networks around, where nobody pays but show each others ads, getting paid in displays of their own ads?

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#3]
So how does everyone get word out when they release a game?

Obviously you post about it here, and social media like Facebook, guessing it's worth joining some Indie forums too?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
The market is getting ridiculously saturated. I think you need to have a 'hook' that will get you some viral marketing by way of word of mouth or a high-scoring app.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#5]
@Arabia - a couple of thoughts on promoting your game

Facebook - why not create a facebook page for the app
Twitter - you could try something like IDRTG - http://www.innovatty.com/twitter/IDRTG/
Post on forums (including Monkeycoder!)
Tell friends/ family!
Do a video, and put it on YouTube
I suppose getting your app reviewed on a review site may well help, but I know some places charge for that..murky stuff..

If you're serious, I'm sure there are agencies that can handle all this stuff

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks for the advice.

I really do not want to spend a lot of money, while I think the game could be popular, I can't see it bringing in thousands of dollars - I'd be happy if it makes enough to cover my Google Dev fee's and then enough to justify paying the Apple fee's to put it on iOS. Similar games as far as I can tell have achieved over 10,000 downloads, so making $500 is hopefully not out of the question.

I might just try and get this one out there and see what happens, if it proves popular enough I might look at expanding on it and doing a follow up and then look at pressing the advertising a bit more.

Not sure if such a beast exists, but it would be nice to only pay for advertising if a user downloads your app. Paying to have an ad pop up in someone else's game doesn't seem like the way to go unless you get a very high click rate or you have a game where you're going to make really good money for every install.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#7]
If ads were paid like that, they'd cost a lot more!

By the way, don't forget SlideMe. Their site puts the latest apps on top, so at least you will be on the front page for a day or two. In Google your app starts buried under 10000 others. Also SlideMe is free, and uses the same icon formats etc. as Google Play, so when you've done one you've done both.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#8]
yes, good point about SlideMe. In general, don't forget the "other" appstores. Ones I have found which work quite well, outside of Google Play are:

SlideMe
Amazon
Samsung Apps
Opera apps

I'd be interested to hear what others find with the alternative app stores

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#9]
imilar games as far as I can tell have achieved over 10,000 downloads, so making $500 is hopefully not out of the question.

10.000 downloads won't give you $500. More likely something around $100-$200.

York(Posted 2013) [#10]
I have really bad experiences with Amazon. I only get one download a day. :)
On SlideMe I get more downloads, but 1000 downloads arenīt as valueable as on GooglePlay.

Now I want to support the Opera-Store, but I donīt find a Faq for developer? Is there anything I need to change in my apk?

10.000 downloads won't give you $500. More likely something around $100-$200.

I agree. My best app makes ~ $150 (10.000 downloads).

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#11]
For me Amazon works best, followed by Google then (DON'T FORGET!) Nook.

All in all I made about $20k within two years with my Battleship game (oh well now it's called Sea Battle due to some rumbles with Hasbro). At the moment I have more income with Admob as with sales at all...

SlideMe doesn't work at all for me and I never got any app at Samsung approved. Their rules are somewhat contradictionary to my apps. lol

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#12]
@York, don't think you need to do any particular changes for Opera app store (I didn't..)

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#13]
Hi Xaron! Sorry to open an old topic. But did I read that correctly? 20.000 USD within 2 years through ads via Admob?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#14]
I currently make around $400USD per month thru Admob... not brilliant, but better than nothing.