Cheap Android Phone from Motorola - Moto G

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Cheap Android Phone from Motorola - Moto G

therevills(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm looking into updating my aging LG Optimus One which has been great to test with (and I still plan on using it for testing) and my search has come across Motorola's new Moto G phone which sounds really good value.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/motorola-moto-g-review-50012772/

We can't actually get it here in Oz yet, so does any have one and what do they think of it?

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#2]
I keep current on android and it looks like a great phone for the money. I bought a Sony phone for my daughter a couple of months ago and it was significantly more and not as good. I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend, but my first choice would be a Nexus 5. The Moto G would be second. It is definitely an unbelievable value.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#3]
I am tempted to sell my S3 mini and get a Moto G (unlocked), specs are crazy for the price ~£135, corning glass, IPS 720p, quad core. My only issue is that it's about 25% heavier, but it's a bigger screen so I guess that makes sense.

Very tempted indeed. *goes to check what s3 mini's are selling for on ebay*

therevills(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hopefully "Aussie Tax" doesn't increase the price too much when this arrives here as I really like the look at this one :)

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
So I just bought a Moto G - sold my S3 mini so I actually come out with a new phone and £20 extra.

The bigger screen, 720p and stock Android 4.4 where the main selling points for me. Yes its going to be heavier and bulkier but my S3 mini was a little too small, I think sammy got it right with s4 mini but that's too much money for me.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#6]
Cool! Have you played with it much? How's the performance etc?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#7]
I wont get it till Tuesday =(

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#8]
Wow, very nice phone. Though, the bumper accessories don't appear to be coming to the US until next year. Seeing as how I scuffed up my Nexus S within a month by dropping it on the pavement, that bumper's a big deal.

As a purely dev device, though, this looks like a real boon.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#9]
Got mine yesterday, screen is really nice, a little heavier than I thought (coming from an S3 mini) and could be a mm or 2 thinner, bit slippy too; back is like a soft touch plastic but for £130 its simply the best value for money Android out there.

Screen is just about right for games, some games I could not play like GTA and Heroes of might and magic on my S3 mini cus the screen was a lil' too small.

Just need to buy a flip case and I am set for another year when I can get a free Nexus 6 (I assume they'll be out then) as part of my phone contract.

*NOTE: you might lose a finger or two getting the back panel off.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#10]
Finally managed to get one today (only released today in Oz) and its a great phone for the price! Still playing with it! :)

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#11]
How are your fingers doing after having to wrench the back off the phone to put in a SIM card?

Also I would not recommend the official flip case\cover, it adds an insane amount of bulk to the phone, slap on a screen protector and be done.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#12]
How are your fingers doing after having to wrench the back off the phone to put in a SIM card?

It was a challenge!! LOL! I found it was more about how much pressure to release the back from the bottom - after all these years why do phone makers make it so hard to get them off!!

Also I would not recommend the official flip case\cover, it adds an insane amount of bulk to the phone, slap on a screen protector and be done.

Ah thanks, I was looking at the flip case - but they are not available here yet so I'm trying a cheap "gel" case.

mteo77(Posted 2014) [#13]
Phone is very good for the price.
About the back cover....at start i thought i was going to break it!
Oh and i have ordered a back flip cover..a month ago (still have to be delivered...) i am more than happy to add bulk, never liked paper thin phones so anything that add bulk is more than welcome!Otherwise it will end like my old phone..so thin that i forgot i had it in my back pocket, so i sat on a chair and...tadaaa "crack"....
I noticed one thing, since it doesn't come with a charger you have to be careful of not using a "fast" one (or anything that has got more than 1 amp) otherwise the phone will get very hot, the charging state will register that it's full after a very short time (40 mins or so!) but in reality it won't be charged.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#14]
The Australian models comes with a charger (a wall adapter for the micro-USB) and it is also dual sim which is pretty cool!

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#15]
The Moto G's 4.5-inch screen has a 1,280x720-pixel resolution, which is a very impressive amount of pixels for such a cheap phone. It gives it a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch, which is the same as the iPhone 5S's retina display -- but the Moto G costs £414 less.

Wow!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#16]
If anyone is looking for the Moto G ADB USB Debugging Drivers you can get it from here:

32bit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2550635

64bit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48193757&postcount=6