Graphic Artists/Music&Sound Composers.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Graphic Artists/Music&Sound Composers.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#1]
Can anyone recommend someone that is good at this sort of stuff? And what sort of money do they charge?

My graphic design skills are "adequate" but I'm sure someone with a lot more skill than me could create graphics that would vastly improve chances of my game being downloaded/purchased.

My music/sound composition skills are non-existent :) I hunt for free music & samples, and that's as far as I go.

I'd particularly be looking (if such a person exists) for someone that would be willing to profit share from the app. I can't guarantee if it will sell, but worst case it is something to put on your Resume for a published app. Of course credit for your contribution will be noted on the loading screen & credits.

I'm guessing with this sort of profit share, I'd need to also a basic confidentially agreement/non-compete statement signed - wouldn't want someone taking the idea (not that it's that original)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
The rates depend greatly on the amount of work that has to be done. You will have a hard time finding an experienced artist that works for profit share. Some charge by item, per hour or for a whole project. So far i did whole projects where the amount and type of art was known upfront and the rates ranged from 150 USD to 800 USD.

You can help the finding process by making a list upfront where every item is described as best as possible. Size, style, length, color scheme, references, etc. This list you can hand a possible canidate so he or she can calculate the work load and what to charge. Also let them know how fast you need the work to be done.

Most artist also charge upfront fully or partially. Because they got screwed before, that is why.

Good luck with your search.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#3]
In my current project the art work has cost around $8000 USD, but that's for the entire game.

All the artists I have hired in the past have been happy to be paid in instalments. I would never pay upfront fully.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#4]
Wow!

Looks like I'll be sticking to my own limited skills at this stage, I really can not see this game grossing too much money. I'd be happy it if made $1000 using my art work, I'm sure it would earn more with professional art work but I'm just not in a position gamble at this stage.

I really haven't looked at what is freely available yet, I may be able to find some royalty free stuff that I can modify for my own use.

If anyone does happen to know someone who is will to pitch in on the off chance that it might make some money, or someone that starting out and is looking for experience getting their work into a released app, please let me know.

Thanks for the input guys.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#5]
what kind/style of music are you searching for? Perhaps I can make something "cheep" for you?

If you do not want to tell it in public, write an email...

Your name is "arabia". do you speak arabian?. I search for somebody who is able to translate some words for my app...

RENGAC(Posted 2013) [#6]
What kind of game is it?

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#7]

Your name is "arabia". do you speak arabian?. I search for somebody who is able to translate some words for my app...

Actually I'm an Aussie :) Don't ask about the name, it was something I used a long long time ago and I just chose it again when I originally registered my Blitzmax.

When I get a bit closer to getting the game working I'll send you an email. Cheers.

What kind of game is it?

I won't say too much here - there are versions of this available on iOS as far as I know, but nothing that I can find on Android - so I don't want to let the cat out of the bag so to speak, it's not an overly difficult game to write so I'm sure someone could knock one up in a week.

It's a tile/board based game, so it would really be piece design - no human characters to design/animate which in my experience are even harder to design.

I take it I can get in contact with you via your website? I'll send you an email when I'm closer to getting this done to see if you're interested.

Cheers

RENGAC(Posted 2013) [#8]
Ok, send me an email at your leisure. I'm kinda busy at this moment learning and remaking an old game of mine in Monkey, but we can discuss the complexity of your project later.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#9]
Cheers RENGAC, I'll fire off an email in the next week or so. Got a fair bit done, so the game is working now I need to polish it up, add levels etc. and then with the right graphics it should be really to submit to Google Play in the next month.