i want to buy the book promotion code dont work

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/i want to buy the book promotion code dont work

DiabloV(Posted 2013) [#1]
message from pakt :

Sorry, that promotion code is no longer valid

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Packt alwayys runs specials for their books. Just be a little patient. Sign up for their newsletters too.

About the book. The content is more about creating certain games. If you are looking for a complete introduction to Monkey, then you will miss stuff in it. Also from the 3 or 4th chapter on, I used fantomEngine to write the games.

DiabloV(Posted 2013) [#3]
ok

what a good deal to start dev with monkey ?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
The help files and examples from Monkey itself, plus the video tutorials from invaderJim.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#5]
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3318

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#6]
I purchased Mike's book, and for me, I actually found that I needed to go to Jim's (InvaderJim) YouTube tutorials first as I just couldn't grasp the structure of the code compared to BlitzMax. Mike's book is very good, but as Mike suggested, I'd check of Jim's stuff first.

I think Mike mentioned that some stuff had to be left out of the book, it's 380 pages as is and would have probably been 1000 pages if he explains every little thing.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
Exactly. I had much more basic stuff in the first chapters but the publisher wanted to cut stuff out and did. Almost came to a point that i wanted to stop the writing process half way. A few times i called my editors names. ��

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#8]
Exactly. I had much more basic stuff in the first chapters but the publisher wanted to cut stuff out and did. Almost came to a point that i wanted to stop the writing process half way. A few times i called my editors names. ��

Don't suppose you still have these early chapters? or would it be against your contract to release them?

I know the money probably isn't in it for you, but have you either thought of self publishing or maybe making some YouTube vids like Jim?

Such a great language, but it really is let down by the lack of detailed documentation as BM was. Hats off to you guys who can get into the source code for Monkey and work out all of the stuff that isn't apparently obviously to a lot of us learners.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#9]
It would be against the contract to use these early drafts.
But yes, i am currently outlining my next book and this i will self publish. Jim has done a great job on explaining Monkey on video. I see no need to extent that now, video wise. Book wise maybe. ��

Also fantomEngine can still use more docs, tutorials, examples, hands on training too.

Any suggestions you would love to see in another book are welcome.

DiabloV(Posted 2013) [#10]
yes, it's ok.

I am tempted by the framework playnax ignition....