How powerfull is monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/How powerfull is monkey

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, I am fairly new to monkey and game development and I was wondering. How is monkey comparing to other SDK's like Loom SDK etc.
What potential does monkey have? And could some1 tell me what games would be possible to make with monkey?
Would games like angry birds etc be easy to make in monkey? Or is that a no go?

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#2]
Anything is possible
Angry Birds is just 2d graphics and physics,
there is a physics module someone made

Command line interface: Everything you will do is managed by LoomCLI, in your favourite terminal. I must say it feels pretty awesome to imagine you’re Hugh Jackman in Swordfish or Angelina Jolie’s best friend in Hackers.

Hmm Monkey can't make you feel like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish....sorry

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#3]
At this moment im going through the book of pakt publishing Monkey game development. But there isnt alot in there about the coding style. I was also wondering if there is any good book about the coding language?

Oh and thanks for the reply :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#4]
Loom SDK is based on the LuaJIT compiler, so it's committed to one technology, whereas Monkey is not. Monkey converts to the native code on a platform, so you will usually get the best possible performance.

Also, if there is a new platform in the future, or a new programming language, then Monkey is built to handle these changes. For example, it didn't take long to get Ouya support.

What potential does monkey have? And could some1 tell me what games would be possible to make with monkey?

Angry Birds? yes.
there also miniB3D to handle 3D, but don't expect Call of Duty.

Many of the libraries are handled by non-BRL volunteers, so there's that downside. Here's a list, but it needs to be updated:
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/modules.php

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks alot for the responses, its good to hear another view on these mathers, since im a php developer i dont have alot of knowledge about this stuff.

Its good to hear that monkey will be able to make games up to par with the best selling atm. And the community is by far 1 of the best i've encountered at this moment.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#6]
Would games like angry birds etc be easy to make in monkey?
It would be fairly easy for someone with a decent understanding of Monkey and whatever physics engine they are using to implement the basic game mechanic. Art, level design, sound etc are the long slog to achieve something of that quality.

If you are new to game development, I would aim your sights lower to begin with. Learn the basics, build a few mini games to hone your skills before embarking on your magnum opus. It will be a lot less frustrating that way, believe me.

RetroRusty(Posted 2013) [#7]
What about a game like TowerFall on the OUYA? That's in C# using MonoGame and it's got some really good features. Could Monkey and Mojo2D do a game as good as that with no speed issues?

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#8]
I don't see why not. The code that comes out per each target is written to compile natively towards what the target is designed for. In OUYA's case, its Android with Java. Java and C# are fairly similar languages and both speeds are relatively the same as well.

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#9]
Monkey could easily do an angry birds. As others have said its down to your ability and crafting some visually appealing graphics.

Monkey offers more targets than any other tool. I looked at Loom some time ago and it doesnt really offer anything that say other Lua based tools such as Corona SDK and Gideros offer.

For learning a tool, well for me its not just about the tool, Its about how good the docs are, and more importantly how active the community around the tool is. That way if you get stuck you can ask others and learn from their expertise.

The loom forums don't look *that* busy and that would concern me. The monkey forums are pretty active.