Breakout / Arkanoid.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Breakout / Arkanoid.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
It's been over Ten Years since I last made a game in this style, and I was wondering if any of you who have made one recently would care to offer up any suggestions on game mechanics that I should look at.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#2]
If targeting mobiles maybe you could control the bat by tilting them?
Have the speed based on friction and how you tilt the device forward?
Ok sounds more like baseball now..
Oh and don't forget the "bullet time" a la max payne!
Ok back to work...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I was toying with the idea of having a rewind and play function in it, so you could recover a lost ball by hitting rewind and then play, moving your bat a different way to make sure you catch the once lost ball..

The rewind mechanic would drain something so it could only be used a little, not sure tho I had a good solid idea of how to implement it but I might save it for another project, or at least till I can flesh out the idea.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#4]
Well you could do with a sort of power ups system.
After you consumed it you will have to win it again...but this way is a bit boring.
You could do that you can rewind time, but your bat will get more shakey and direction unpredictable for like 20 seconds as a result, so the player can choose to loose 1 ball for sure or potentially loose 2 or more if not careful.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#5]
I was toying with the idea of having a rewind and play function in it, so you could recover a lost ball by hitting rewind and then play, moving your bat a different way to make sure you catch the once lost ball..

That reminds me of Braid, where you can rewind and try over things. Its a cool concept, and would put a nice twist to the game :)

You could make the bat become shorter as they rewind time. They can only go as far back according to the starting length of the bat to its shortest length. This way, if they lose a ball and they have the bat length, they can rewind time, if not, then they just lose the ball :) This way they will need to regain bat length again before they are allowed rewinding. I also like the idea of making the bat shakey or just a little bit less responsive (maybe even both) during and just after the rewind is complete.

Something else that would be cool is to have a sticky bat, where the ball doesn't bounce, it just sticks. THis is an advantage thing... the user can re-fire the ball off at their convenience.

Make the bat also have a feature that gives the ball an extra boost just after it hits it. So when you normally just have it bounce, create a multiplier that amplifies the balls speed when it strikes the bat. That will add a nice level of difficulty :)

Another idea is to have the bat go berzerk - it controls opposite of the user's controls when it hits a type of object.

Make exploding balls. This would be interesting not only that it can destroy the objects as usual, but if it hits the bat, then it shortens the length of it as well :)

Maybe add a new element where a new foe comes in and can "steal" features implemented to the player's bat. So the idea is that they come down from the top and make it past the bat then attach to the bat and remove what they find. THey could also add a crazy bad feature to the bat like the opposite controls affect. Of course they player could destroy them first before they get to the paddle to evade this.

You could also have falling objects that cause the bat to become shorter (or something else could occur to the player's bat) when it hits the bat.

I'll just stop there. I have too many ideas for this :)

Sounds like fun!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ok, ok... one more!

How about the new little foe that comes out could also REPAIR/REPLACE the damaged or missing blocks? So if there is a special object that the player could REALLY use, like a power up or an improvement to the bat, etc. This guy comes out and repairs or replaces tiles that prevent the player from getting at it so easily! The player would need to hit the foe to stop this from happening.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#7]
That sound cool.
You hit a brick with a question mark and you might get an alien that stay outside the screen area and randomly throws things at you for a period of time, you can avoid the projectiles but you might also avoid the ball.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#8]
Sounds like a community project now.
"Monkeynoid".. where instead of the little alien i described before it's a monkey standing on a tree throwing bananas at you :P

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#9]
when I bought monkey, arcanoid was my first try.

Have a look on the 'gravity' feeling here:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/topics.php?forum=1046&app_id=46

When friends test it on a mobile device I see, that they often try to slew the device to move the bat.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
I just had to post this given the comment above.. its from a project that I kinda started with another community member only to have them do NOTHING lol..

I think I will end up finishing it on my own.

On Topic yeah some of those idea's are really cool. :)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#11]
This image gave me some new ideas... Uh oh :)

Here goes:

I like the monkey tossing bananas at the paddle, but what if you change up the base from being a hole where it falls through to a solid floor. Then instead of using a ball to bounce around, use a banana! The banana will stay good until the player misses it and it hits the gound and splats all over. And change up the paddle to being a Monkey that catches and throws the banana up at the tiles above to destroy them. All the while, other baddies could be throwing objects at the Monkey.

These objects could be distractions that could force the monkey to "misbehave" and go towards the object or run from it - out of the player's control! Some objects may enhance the player, while others could induce some serious harm.

With that, change up the ball limit with the monkey having a health bar. This health bar drops when hit with an object and grows when eating/getting something. The game is over when the player loses their life.

Another idea for the floor... so switch up the paddle becoming smaller with the floor falling apart and have objects that hit the floor and make holes in it. Its up to the player to avoid these holes. So now you have a mini platformer game mixed with the breakout style :)

Each level could have different disasters in them. You can only go so far up the screen, but you can jump or use your tail to swing across holes or what not :)

Another thought is you could have the objective to get the bananas on the level. You beat the level by getting the bananas located on it. You'd have to stick with the bat idea or get a different character to be the bat. There could be a monkey that you need to get the banana for tossing objects at you until you feed it a banana, and then you can clear the level of tiles to beat each level :)

Ok. Gonna stop again. I'm running way too many ideas on this over here :)