Request: Official updated demo version of Monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Request: Official updated demo version of Monkey

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Mark,

could you please update the official demo of Monkey to a more recent version?
Since version 63 there were quite some changes in Monkey which could give a potential customer a different view on Monkey. Recently I got approached by some users of a different forum and would hate it if they get the wrong impression of Monkey.

Cheers
Michael

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hmmm... +1 on that. I *may* present Monkey on my University on the next couple of months (a class of 30+ programmers) and if they get interested would be a shame to see an old version.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#3]
also a lot of "User Modules" already need a higher version. At the moment you cannot test them with the Monkey demo version.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
This is a must I think..

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
just a thought:
isn't the "demo" the same as what is up on GitHub?

i think the demo should point to that...

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#6]
Demo is a confusing term anyway. Users will expect a time limited app which monkey is not.
Monkey Lite would be a better fit I guess.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yeah they need to rebrand it as the FREE & PRO versions not the DEMO & PRO versions..

I think people see DEMO and think nah wont bother it will only work for 30 days, as is common with most demos, but if they see the word FREE it's all good.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#8]
Frustrating. I posted this before in the bugs forum, as that is the only place you could be sure 95% that Mark sees it there.
It got moved and guess what. It doesn't look like he saw it.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#9]
I agree. The demo should be renamed to the Free version (HTML support only). That'll make it clear, and yes, +1 on the point to the Github URL.

I do sometimes wonder who takes care of Monkey marketing... :)

I also feel the documentation needs more in-line code examples and more detailed explanation of commands and what they do. There are several commands I have no clue of what they do and the only way I might find out is by accident when viewing examples in the /bananas folder! That to me is not making it easy for newbies.