How's the site re-design coming along.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/How's the site re-design coming along.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just wondering if there is any new progress on the new website design . ..?

While I am here I thought I would throw in some other random suggestions..

How about svn support ? A brl hosted svn server open to members could be really cool, would give module developers a new option for their repo.

Also how about a developer page and or admin option for members to create a developer profile here on the site , which could be used to tie in the svn access it could also serve as an index for people to find and list developers find their websites and contact details etc...

dragon(Posted 2013) [#2]
today, we have 1 developer: Mark

i think, if some people like, they can add more stuff to monkey...
i think about targets...

monkey is a good solution for the future:
new PS4 or XBox One comming...
PSM need a reborn...
and some other more: ubuntu mobile?....

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Mark is not the only person working in the BRL team, and hes also not the one doing the website, I think but don't quote me on it cos im not 100% sure but is it Devolenter or some one like that that's working on a theme, which as I understand it Simon will then take and code the back-end for or shoe horn it into the back-end that already exists here.

I really hope he re-codes it all tho, or uses an off the shelf solution.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
Why SVN? That's ancient. Many of us have moved onto Github for public projects. I personally use Bitbucket for private projects, since it's friendlier in terms of cost for this than github is, whereas github has the better social networking options. But in either case, both of them are far ahead of the game than say Google Code, which feels like a dinosaur now.

While it's not SVN's fault for this, it's definitely a good example of what a BRL-sponsored code repo would feel like without a good social network backing. As a collaborative platform, Git's just better suited for that than SVN is, like SVN was to CVS before it. Would hate to see resources pooled into something that's going to be dead-on-arrival.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
the type of repo does not really matter, HG, Git, SVN, if they did it, which ever they picked, people would use it.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#6]
Maybe they're waiting for the 3D stuff to be done, but yeah a nice redesign, more feature bundled IDE and a PR push is what Monkey needs, need more people in here so I can steal all their code.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#7]
Over the past few days I've noticed the "(new)" has been more and more useless, and I think I've found the culprit..
Chrome's latest update appears to be updating it's "New Tab Page" thumbnails automagically, which means it quickly visits each of the 8 sites, every time you open the browser.
This has the unfortunate side-effect of toggling your "visit" status on the Monkey site, which in turn unflags all of the "(new)" statuses.

The quicker we can get proper "(read)" statuses, the better!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
Slightly OT: If you're using Chrome there are two extensions you really need.

1. Speed Dial 2 (the one with the lightning icon)
Lets you put what you want on your home page instead of just having Chrome guessing based on where you visit most often.

2. AdBlock (an octagon with a handprint in it)
Blocks ads on most sites including the really annoying ones in YouTube videos. I reinstalled Windows about two months ago and it's already blocked over 17,000 ads.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#9]
1. I've instead opted for actual homepages. Socoder, Twitter and Facebook now pop up instead of that rubbish new gigantic Google Search thing. Seriously, what is THAT about!?

2. I refuse to use any kind of AdBlock.
Adverts are there to support the websites I visit, and it's 100% wrong of me to block the ads, and then somehow expect the websites to continue to exist.

My rule of thumb is this : If the website throws garbage at me, I stop visiting the site, and instead rant about it on Twitter.

Sometimes, it's a case of the web-dev not even being aware that certain adverts are doing popups, and it's generally a good idea to let them know, rather than everyone sticking to adblock, and leaving these evil adverts to thrive in the background.

No Adblock for me..
Adblock is evil..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
I use Adblocking, and for the most part it's a god send, but just to clarify that I only block the ads on websites who serve up offensive material, so my ad blocking state by default is to allow the ads.

This way I can support the sites I enjoy, while at the same time block the site adverts if they become offensive in some way.

Best of both worlds.

programmer(Posted 2013) [#11]
Just wondering if there is any new progress on the new website design . ..?
Bump. Any progress?