MServer constantly exiting - fixed!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/MServer constantly exiting - fixed!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#1]
This has been doing my head in for the last 2-3 weeks, although it only happened once my project reached a certain size asset wise.

MServer would load up, start loading the assets and listing them in the console window, and then just vanish - leaving me with a html5 error as obviously the server had stopped "serving" halfway through.

Maybe 1 in every 15-20 times it would load fine, and then I would be able to just 'build' and hit 'refresh' in the browser to test again without having to re-run MServer.

I did this for a few days, but as I added more stuff it became ridiculous, I counted 50 times the other night and every one failed the same as above.

I tried various versions of Monkey - it happened in all of them - but small programs were fine, and I was pulling my hair out.

Then when testing v73b my anti-virus popped up saying mserver was dodgy...which of course I knew was false (unless Mark is upto something lol) - and then my lightbulb switched on!

I disabled my AV and what do you know - perfect every time!
I have since added my Monkey/Project directories to the exceptions/whitelist in my AV and no more problems.

So, this is for future reference if anyone has this problem and decides to do a search.
If I can save them the hair pulling it caused me then it was worth the 2mins it took to post.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
Food for thought: If your antivirus program supposedly 'knew' that it was dodgy, then why did it allow you to run it occasionally anyway?

Makes you wonder what other (actual) bad stuff if wouldn't have caught...

(What AV software were you using, anyway?)

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#3]
It didn't 'know' it was dodgy, it 'thought' it was - which I said I 'knew' was false.

It also didn't let me run it occasionally, it threw up the warning the first time I tried to run using v73b - it didn't throw up anything with any other version I tried (v69 onwards).

I use AVG which works fine (although probably isn't the best), but it's not like it's saving my ass every day, I can't even remember the last time I had a virus tbh (and I do use multiple AVs t check if I suspect I may have a problem).

It didn't pop up any warning or message when MServer was quitting either, which is why I never considered the AV before.

I think maybe the mass accessing of files (not using atlases yet) triggered something and thought I'd pass on my solution in case anyone has the problem in future (regardless of their choice of AV software).

grovey(Posted 2013) [#4]
AVG was giving me fits yesterday as well while programming. So... I uninstalled it and bought Bitdefender.