Amazon's Ad network has a free Kindle HD promotion

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Amazon's Ad network has a free Kindle HD promotion

benmc(Posted 2013) [#1]
This is interesting, and time sensitive too:

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/mobileads.html

It appears to basically be a free Kindle HD giveaway/promotion for integration of Amazon Ads in your mobile app, but there are a lot of details, time constraints, minimum impressions requirements, etc, so worth reading about and checking out.

I was able to modify the Java produced by Monkey and replace the Admob references with Amazon code in about 30 minutes in one of my apps. The 2 networks/SDK's are extremely similar.

Maybe the Amazon ad network can be part of the Monkey core? It's literally a change to just a few lines of code from the Admob integration.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
I've seen this... and I'm out. You need something like 500 'hits' per week during some months, and they are not responsible for other countries taxes when sending the device, so here in Brazil it would cost me an arm and an leg, even it being free :/

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well Amazon says you have to send at least 500 ad requests per week. That's almost NOTHING. Even my less downloaded apps have about 30,000 per month. It's not clicks it's just impressions.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#4]
I was able to modify the Java produced by Monkey and replace the Admob references with Amazon code in about 30 minutes in one of my apps. The 2 networks/SDK's are extremely similar.

Do you mind to share these replacements? Thanks!

benmc(Posted 2013) [#5]
Right, it says 500 requests per week, that's pretty easy to get actually. I definitely have a couple apps that would get me there quite easily, so I'm excited.

As for the changes, I haven't really documented what I did, but it was very easy to swap out AdMob references for Amazon, and I used the simple sample app too get the job done + documentation about the ad sizes. Hopefully I'll have some time and I can post it here.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ah great, now I should be able to find that as well. Just out of curiosity, I never did a build with Eclipse or something similar, I guess I will have to install all this stuff to rebuild the project or have you changed the stuff in the brl.admob module?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
I think changing the or making a copy of and creating a new module would be a nice idea, just copy brl.admob and the java admob native code and rename them amazon and make the appropriate changes.

I'd love to try for this but I still don't have anything on the market.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#8]
Alright I did an Amazon Ads module similar to the Admobs BRL one. Will post it asap.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#9]
I didn't think of just changing the admob module.... uhg, that would have been smarter. I just jump into Eclipse. I used it for 2 years to make Android games before Monkey, so I find myself falling back whenever there's a problem :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
Looking forward to your post xaron , doubt my little game will the required impressions but hay its worth s try

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#11]
benmc have you got it to work. I have no ads showing due to an SQLite exception. Looks like I'm not the only one...

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1306

Here's the module btw: http://www.leidel.net/dl/monkey/amazonads.zip

You have to add
#AMAZON_APP_KEY="your key here"

to the targets/android/template/config.monkey file

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#12]
Looks like the Amazon guys really messed it up. lol

It works on the emulator and maybe even works on their Kindle stuff so I'll just submit it!

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#13]
Oh well I see you have to refresh the ads by yourself. How stupid is that? I've added a LoadAd method you should call every 20 seconds or more.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#14]
I did get it to work, but it looks like I'll have to update my app to get it to refresh itself every 30 seconds. Awesome that you have a module!!! I'll have to give it a try too.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#15]
Well yes just call LoadAd in the module to reload an ad.

I've submitted my first game with that module and it works! :)

Volker(Posted 2013) [#16]
I'm trying to get this stuff working.
Example:
Import mojo
Import amazonads

Global aads:AmazonAds

Class MyApp Extends App

Method OnCreate()
		aads = AmazonAds.GetAmazonAds()
		aads.ShowAdView(1, 1) '1,1   0,1  1,0
		SetUpdateRate 15
	End Method

Method OnUpdate()
		If TouchHit()
			aads.LoadAd()
			Print "ad loaded"
			Print "width+height:"+aads.AdViewWidth()+ "  "+aads.AdViewHeight() 
		EndIf
	End

Method OnRender()
		Cls
		DrawText("hello world", 10, 10)	
	End

End

Function Main()

New MyApp

End

I've added #AMAZON_APP_KEY="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" to C:\Monkey\targets\android\template\config.monkey

I see no Ads. The amazon control center shows me that their are
requests but no impressions and a fill rate of 0%.
Are my ShowAdView() parameters corrects?

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#17]
Got my Kindle Fire HD today. :)

The US guys are more lucky as they get a free upgrade to the HDX...

mjcamerer(Posted 2013) [#18]
I haven't received mine just yet. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I am in the US and was very happy to get the upgrade to the HDX for free.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#19]
Lucky guy! :D

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#20]
Just got a mail where Amazon apologies for sending the wrong (8GB Kindle Fire HD instead of 16GB).

So now I get another one but this time the HDX! How cool is that? :D

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#21]
Awesome that is!

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#22]
@Xaron - thanks for the module.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#23]
@Supertino: You're welcome :)

HDX is there! What a powerful device!

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#24]
I just bought the FireHD 7" - £99 on Amazon - why the hell not

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#25]
Yep, it's an incredible device even with the "Amazon limitations" ;)

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#26]
It's certainly not as nice as my nexus 7 (2013), its thicker and heavier but a good tablet to let the nephews use when they come round rather than scratch up my N7.