Every Xbox One is a debug console

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Every Xbox One is a debug console

Raph(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/xbox-one-indie-self-publishing/

New target in the future? :)

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#2]
Unless it's as easy as "Compile game, upload game, job done!" then it's not compatible with AGameAWeek.
As much free time as I have, I'm really struggling to fit everything into a single week, especially now that I've started doing weekly GooglePlay/Android uploads, too.
When these "BIG" companies try to do things "For the Indies", they seem to forget that a lot of us are doing this on our own, and don't have a huge group of employees to handle the mundane bits and pieces that are inexplicably required to simply post your latest game.
I JUST don't have time for all of that!!

Make it easy, or don't bother.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I suspect that they will want this to be as seamless as possible, compile, build, then either bluetooth, wifi, or ftp the build to the xbox for testing. I see no real reason for them to make it any more complex, and if they are smart and think it through they will really do what they can to make it easy for us.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#4]
this is a important change...
new xbox is now open for us!

simonh(Posted 2013) [#5]
Would be cool if they open it up completely. All that power to play with...wouldn't have to worry about polygon counts too much!

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#6]
The XNA process is quite straight forward - you have an app you install on the Xbox which when run provides a key for you to enter back on your PC (on the same network of course).

Once going, you compile (from VS) and it sends your app (and starts) on the Xbox. You also have a entry in your game list.

You need to be a WinPhone/Xbox dev in this case.

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#7]
I'm dubious - this is a such a 180 from their previous "all indies must go through 'real' publishers" stance it's hard to see it as anything but another knee-jerk reaction to the PS4.

I suspect there'll be all sorts of 'strings' attached, as no doubt there will be for PS4 indies too.

Others seem to be similarly wary: See 'updates' at the bottom of this article:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/xbox-one-indie-self-publishing/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#8]
I think them getting rid of a few key people at the top was a massive step in the right direction and will I am sure lead people to think that he was the cause for most of the stupid ideas they initially had for the ONE!.

With him gone(hahha zynga lol) my hope is that the new blood can see past the greed to just how valuable the indie scene has become for their players, their market places and their wallets.

If they have gained any kind of common sense, they will make this whole process as pain free for us as possible, saying that however I do expect some restrictions, it is Microsoft after all and they do love to control things, I just hope their not to crazy about what control mechanisms they put in place.

As for the PS4, I really hope this battle for Indies turns out to be a full on War between them, if it does they will be beating each other over the head with features to lure Indies in, and that can only be a good thing for us, I think, I hope , ultimately it's going to result in two very strong, very stable and very easy to use platforms.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#9]
I'm dubious - this is a such a 180 from their previous "all indies must go through 'real' publishers" stance it's hard to see it as anything but another knee-jerk reaction to the PS4.

I suspect there'll be all sorts of 'strings' attached, as no doubt there will be for PS4 indies too.
Well, people are calling it the xbox 180, after all. Maybe Microsoft got so scared by the projected sales figures that they really are pulling out all the stops.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#10]
I just hope there isn't any country specific limitations. Just because I'm from Brazil, I can't publish on X360... (and neither on Wii/WiiU or even on PSN/Vita)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#11]
that sucks balls, is there like some stupid reason behind this ? probably something political :/