controlers...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/controlers...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
anyone coded to take something like this into account ? , iv only just found this and have to see it looks like such a simple and yet cool solution to the lack of tactile sensation when pressing buttons to control a game on a mobile platform.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#2]
Nice idea - is there a standard device?

Seems like it would be easy enough to implement a user-defined setup system anyway.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
There's nothing to do. You just have to implement a virtual joystick. Those things are "suction" buttons just attached to the screen.

Here's an example:
http://dx.com/p/touchscreen-game-controllers-joypad-joystick-buttons-for-iphone-4-55536

I never tried it, but it doesn't look very "fixed" - probably if you try to "turn" the joystick too much it will release itself from the screen :P

(Hah, just read the reviews in there about it, and people are complaining exactly about it - buttons slipping!)

Raph(Posted 2013) [#4]
That said, iOS7 adds an official controller API for third party peripherals -- controller cases, standalone controllers, etc. It is likely going to lead up to wireless controllers and games on Apple TV.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#5]
Ah... I thought they were actually just 'poking' the screen in certain positions, as if you had on-screen buttons but the controllers made it more tactile.

Maybe I just invented something!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
Raph there is one of those already the iphone plugs into the middle of it and you get a dpad on the left and two buttons on the right and it connects to the phone via bluetooth.

I found these little sucker controls cooler though given their low price, the fact you can pop them in your pocket and their easy to move around on the screen to take advantage of any hot spots a developer has made.

Raph(Posted 2013) [#7]
There have been bluetooth controllers for iOS before now, yes. iCade and many others. But there hasn't been a standard. In iOS7, Apple is making a standard. They'll be part of the MFi program, sold in Apple stores. That's a game changer.

I have the Fling ones, they're neat. But a full console controller (shoulder buttons and all) is going to totally swallow the hardcore market, especially if the App Store allows direct install to Apple TVs.

They are still mandating full touch support for the games, though. So there will still be room for the suction cup controllers at the lower end of the market.

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+Apple+Posts+Guidelines+for+iOS+Game+Controllers+on+Dev+Site/article31744.htm

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#8]
They are still mandating full touch support for the games, though.

I can understand why they would do this but imagine that it's heading to a place where many games will have lip-service touch controls that are actually unplayable. The compromise on screen space in itself would be hard to swallow for a game that is intended to be played with physical controls.

Then again I find virtual buttons near unworkable anyway, so perhaps it's not much of a change.

Raph(Posted 2013) [#9]
There's no feasible way to add "do you own a controller?" to the filters in the App Store because it's an optional add-on. They can't query the device for it. So you'd rely on the game description, which people don't read, and you'd have people buying games that they can't play because they don't have the controller.

So by doing it this way, they prevent a big customer service nightmare. And kickass looking games that "work but barely" with touch only might drive adoption of the controllers.