N00b learning Monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/N00b learning Monkey

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
As many folk know, I'm thinking about ditching desktop platforms in favour of mobile by the end of this year.

I've used Monkey before but it was like 30 versions ago and I am way out of touch with it. So I found this:

http://www.packtpub.com/monkey-2d-game-development-beginners-guide/book

Two questions: First, is it any good? Second, if I get the digital version, does it get updated or have I to buy it again? (I worry about these things becoming so far out of date they're rendered useless).

I'd just like something to read when I'm on the toilet.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
I got a copy of the book when it was free, but after reading through it decided against using it as it is all based around FantomEngine, which Mike has written himself (and is apparently good, and free)

As I was new to Monkey I wanted to get my hands dirty myself rather than using a pre-written framework where everything that was written in the book was using the FantomEngine functions and hiding all the nitty gritty stuff.

I know you are a good coder who has published games out (albeit with BMax) so I'm not sure if you would want to use a framework or write your own whilst learning and getting to grips with Monkey - that's your call.

My route was this forum, trial and error, small test apps and the SmalltimeOutlaws Tutorial Videos on Youtube for anything I didn't quite understand and I have not hit any kind of complete brick wall as of yet.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
I think I'll pass, then! I'm not opposed to using middleware to some extent but I don't want to use a whole engine. I'd rather do my own thing.

Thanks for the info!

Amon(Posted 2013) [#4]
Just dive in like you did when BlitzMax was released, Dave.

You've more than proven your capabilities at programming so in essence all you need to do is apply the same strategy with Monkey as you did with BlitzMax.

I'm not saying there won't be any headaches but then when is programming free from headaches, using any language?

My 2p's of advice.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#5]
The docs are a bit annoying to search through, but they are a very good way to learn Monkey. I only really started taking off on the language after getting a solid IDE (Jungle); anything that can autocomplete deeply is a pretty great boon to learning, since most of the functions are self-explanatory, and those that aren't can be Context-F1'd.

If you know Mojo, you already know pretty much everything you need to know. Monetizing the apps with ads and IAP is unfortunately a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Updates appear to always be free. For reading material I recommend you whip out your phone and read the monkey forums on the can. That's what I do (yes, replying too, hahaha...). There need to be online docs and a wiki out there but so far there's no quintessential source other than the official offline documentation, so you're SOL there, unfortunately. That does slow learning a bit, but not by a lot.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
GFK, the book is definately not for you. The purpose was how to create some games, not to teach Monkey from the grounds up. I had to scrape a lot of text regarding Monkey basics because of page count restrictions and publisher requests. And that is why I needed to create the framework or the goal of this book would not have been archived.

Study the examples, watch the video tutorials that are around and I am sure you are good to go.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
The first 3 chapters are not covering fE, but the rest is using it. Just to correct the statement from rikman a little.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#8]
It is worth taking a look at fantom, I am using it in a game now and I really like it.