App stores 2013?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/App stores 2013?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#1]
So how are the various app stores performing for you guys in 2013?

My game is a week or so away before being ready and I have decided to go for ads (admob) rather then IAP due to the extra setup and integration of different API etc needed for each store.

Store's I am going to target on day one are;
- Play store
- Amazon market
- Slideme
- Samsung

I looked into NOOK but it seems you need to move to the US, meet the president, marry someone from Texas and yell "USA... USA" 1000 times before you can setup an account on there.

Any more I should consider (Android).

I don't have the kit and certainly not the money to release on iOS yet but if any one has any experience's to share of iOS vs Android please share.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Don't forget Barnes&Noble. It's worth it!

Zurrr(Posted 2013) [#3]
I upload same 4 store as you mention. 6 month ago. I can give you some info on how much download i got compare each of them.

Play store :
The best. with proper description and title I got around 30 per day.
Slideme: Is no 2. At beginning 1000 download easy on about a month. after that slow around 10 download a day
Samsung: No 3. Also around 10 download per day
Amazon market: Not good for me. I got less than 5 download a day.

Hope this help a little. By the way this only my personal experience.
My app download increase more on google play after 1000 download. Got around 50 per day now

Zurrr(Posted 2013) [#4]
ops forgot to mention. all the above download is organic. no ads

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#5]
ok, here's our snapshot for our simple little game, Yikes! Zombies! Run!

6 month view - October 2012 - March 2013

Google Play: 8626 downloads (approx 47 per day)
SlideME: 9558 downloads (approx 53 per day)
Appslib: 2978 downloads (approx 16 per day)
Amazon: 37300 downloads (approx 205 per day)
AndroidPIT: 3013 downloads (approx 16 per day)
Totals at other appstores have been much less - Appia, Mobango, AppChina.

Apple Appstore: approx 9000 downloads (50 per day) - approx - very difficult to calculate from itunes connect, unless I'm missing a trick..

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#6]
@Xaron - yeah I hear Barnes&Noble (Nook) are good but having to arse about with the US taxID stuff... pfft - I might go through that later.

Thanks for the Numbers guys I'll post my 1 month figures for my new game when I have them.

My Santa's workshop (free lite version) game got about 37k download on slide me since November last year, 1.1k on Amazon and 225 from google play - needless to say the conversion rate to the full version was probably 0.00000001%.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#7]
Stats for my Alcatraz game (really recent, launch the game more or less a week ago on Google Play, then on other stores):

Store/downloads/date available
Google Play: 528 (May 31)
Amazon: 217 (June 3)
GetJar: 147 (May 31)
Samsung: 2197 (Jun 11)
iOS: 6658 (Jun 11)
SlideMe = 1037 (Jun 14)

Do you guys have suggestions to other stores? I'm all ears :)

Edit: updated download counts... Samsung is going well, iOS even better (was dropping - got another spike yesterday!); GetJar is stuck and SlideMe is ok so far.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#8]
I'll share my numbers as well soon...

Supertino, as you might know I'm a German resident and getting an EIN is pretty easy, just a phone call to the US!

benmc(Posted 2013) [#9]
For Fun-Putt Mini Golf Remix:

Windows Phone Market has been the best.

I'm at 40K+ downloads of the free version now, and getting some awesome results with PubCenter ads. Plus, it's #5 in the Free Sports Games category on their Market. Loving it.

Second I'm going to say is Amazon.

I don't get NEARLY the downloads here that I do on Windows Phone, but for some reason the free to paid conversion rate is a whopping 10%!!! I love that, sales every day. Free downloads are way low, but it's doing fine.

Third would have to be iPhone App Store.

I'm barely selling anything, but I get about ~16 downloads of the free version every day. Very few conversions.

Last is Google Play.

I have not leveraged my other games yet to get more eyeballs, but downloads and sales are very very low.

I haven't put it on Slideme yet, but my 9 Iron Ninja game did VERY well there, so I definitely want to be on that platform.

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#10]
@benmac
is that windows 7 or 8.I had very good results with pubcenter on windows 7 but its really died off now.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#11]
As far as I'm aware, my app is available on the windows 7 and 8 app stores. I was under the impression that it was compatible with both. I'm not sure how to test that tho.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#12]
Updated my numbers... iOS is doing great, followed by Samsung!

Also, I have to ask: how did you integrate the PubCenter ads in windows 8? I got up to the part where you set a reference in the solution to the SDK... and then nothing :P

benmc(Posted 2013) [#13]
Sorry, I meant Windows Phone 7.1, and I thought I was on Windows Phone 8 too. I'm not actually on Windows 8 desktop.

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#14]
benmc your game does work and show up on the Windows Phone 8 store (the screen just has black bars due to the different resolutions between WP7 & 8)

I have had the most downloads on Windows Phone 8 of my free game Trilobyte Snake, so far it has more than double the iOS downloads in half the time.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#15]
Here come my numbers for the game Sea Battle (former Battleship) (march 2012 till now)

Lite version / Full version
iOS: 97,039 / 2,525
Google Play: 145,786 / 3,226
Windows Phone: 73,103 / 989
Amazon: n/a / 172,229 (please note it was app of the day which was about 160,000 DL)

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#16]
Xaron,

On the app of the day you don't make any money, do you? Do they have to get your permission?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#17]
@Xaron: impressive numbers!!

Too bad I can't publish on windows phone 7. The "XNA Creators Club" isn't available in Brazil =(

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#18]
Yes on the App of the day I don't make any money, but the sales afterwards went up really nice. Peak was around 200 sales per day ($1,99 each).

Amazon asks for permission before, yes.

SLotman, thanks! :)

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#19]
..couldn't resist letting you all know about our app which has had a grand total of 5 installs since it's launch on Google Play at the end of March. That's like 0.05 installs per day :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silentshark.ga

Yes, it was launched for April Fool's day.. probably should delete it at some point.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#20]
@silentshark: I thought I had seen everything :-)

I have an app in the Play store sice a year, sold 6 times. WOW!

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#21]
@MikeHart - it's certainly a niche app.. too niche :-)

Volker(Posted 2013) [#22]
@silentshark: You should do some advertising for your app.
What about an admob campaign?

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#23]
C'mon guys :-)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#24]
Hahaha - An App that only shows ads for itself would be pretty funny! ^_^