Getting more Android downloads?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Getting more Android downloads?

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, I have recently released a free simple snake remake on iOS and Android, on iOS there have been over 2000 downloads but only 68 on Android.

With such a large amount of Android users I am surprised there are not more downloads, anyone else have this experience?

Trilobyte on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reactor15.trilobyte&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5yZWFjdG9yMTUudHJpbG9ieXRlIl0.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Well. As there are sooo many apps out there and many of them are just crap, the main problem for new apps is to be found.

Some things to consider: The name is not that search friendly.
The description is poor. I guess it's a bit hard to find. Don't know where it pops up if one searches for "snake" or "snake remake" or "snake retro".

The screenshots are pretty dark and not so appealing.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#3]
Sometimes you just can't tell - there will be differences between systems, countries and sites that you will not be able to explain.

I like the description - it's not like you're asking money to try it, and the reviews are good. I will probably download it for my tablet next time I'm near a Wi-Fi!

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#4]
A few thoughts:

I suspect search is key here. No-one's going to be casually searching for "trilobyte", so how will they find the app? Maybe you could do more with the descriptive text to help.. mentioning the word "snake" and "snakes" several times in the description might help.

If its name were "Trilobyte Snakes", you might find it appears higher in searches.

If you google, there are some articles about app store optimisition which is worth a read.

The icon is nice.. and this is deceptively important, apparently, in driving downloads.

I suspect success breeds success with the appstore, i.e. once you have started getting a certain number of downloads, that will boost your rating in searches, which boosts your downloads, and a virtuous circle comes into being. So getting a "boost" to trigger things will be useful. You might try something like a service from fiver.com (or similar). Use Facebook to promote. Twitter. Post on forums. Anything to get the app out there. Posting your query here will have helped :-)

Give it time. More downloads will happen in time.

(Not answering your question, but I found the best way to drive more downloads overall was to use other app stores, in addition to google play. I've had luck with Amazon, Slideme and Appslib, but I believe others have had joy with Appia and others. YMMV, as ever.)

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks for all the info :)