Problems with installation of monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Problems with installation of monkey

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello everybody.
I just bought monkey after playing with the demo for few weeks.
It seems i have got a problem with the installation(version 67f).
First of all i can't see all the targets under the slider of the ted editor (is it normal?) just html5,xna,glfw,windows 8.
Second when i compile (for html5)and run a very little chunk of code i have done with the demo i get an error message after the browser window opens:"Monkey runtime error:type error:cannot call method set delegate of undefined".
All i have done was download the zip file from website, copy it in my hd partition and open it.
Didn't have any problems with the demo (apart from having only html5 target).
Am i missing something obvious?
Thanks.

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#2]
Welcome!

I had that "Monkey runtime error:type error:cannot call method set delegate of undefined", it was fixed after I upgrade to latest version + upgraded any libraries.

Use the latest version? Goto: Account --> product updates --> v69

You can only see targets you can use. Have you installed everything needed plus opened the config file and set every path? It can be tricky to get all the requirements to install correctly. I have learnt that it often is not Monkey but that the installation wasn't correct. To fix this I started compiling an example in that target (without monkey) and to this day if that works, usually Monkey works as well.

I would call this a programming question, feel free to use the programming forum, it is more responsive.

Docs are not the greatest so I understand any possible beginner confusion, keep asking! :)

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks for your help.
I tried every version from 63 up to 69, and only 63 works (the demo one).
I will move it to the programming forum.
Thanks for the hint.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Welcome.

When you upgrade to a new version, VERY often you need to delete the build folder which was created when you build an app. Mostlikely you got that error because of this.

To see all the targets, you need to install SDK's and maybe and development tools too. Then alter the config file in the bin folder of your monkey installation. Btw, to be able to develop for iOS, you need to develop on a Mac. To be able to compile for Windows8 and Windows Phone 8 you need to develop on Widnows 8.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
didnt know that about win8.. that settles it, I need to upgrade.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#6]
Sorry.
I was sure i was missing something basic, and i did...forgot to delete the build folder..
Now i am just trying to set the Android target (which will be my main) but it's a bit complicated.
I really like the language, it looks elegant (compared to other i tried before) and easy to read. (btw i got your book Mike).
Thanks everybody for the help!

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#7]
A quick update.
I managed to install everything correctly.
Everything runs fine and i managed to install and run my demo program from a real android device and the emulator.
Now i just have to learn the language.
Thanks everybody for the help.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#8]
congratullations. You'll enjoy it. Monkey is very pleasant to work with