Get paid for writing apps for Microsoft stores

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Get paid for writing apps for Microsoft stores

JonnyBritish(Posted 2013) [#1]
Microsoft in the USA is running a deal where you can get paid 100 dollars per app for up to 10 apps in the Windows 8 store and 10 apps in the Windows Phone store. This is a limited time offer and open only to residents of the USA and Columbia 18 years of age or older. Please watch for offers like this from other Microsoft offices around the world.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dorischen/archive/2013/03/11/get-up-to-2000-incentive-for-publishing-windows-8-and-windows-phone-8-apps.aspx

With Monkey supporting Windows 8 and Phone 8 development I wanted to ensure this community was aware of this deal. Note this offer is only open to the first 10,000 apps published in the store.

thanks

John O'Donnell
Evangelist
Microsoft Corporation
http://www.twitter.com/jodonnel

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Why do you always limit these kind of things to the USA?

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#3]
Wow! You guys with apps on iTunes and Google Play need to get on this ASAP!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#4]
USA and Columbia?
Surely he means British Columbia?

Although maybe not - I bet they would get some serious coding sessions done on cocaine! :)

Yep if you already have apps out there this seems a no brainer.

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#5]
I read the actual requirements... It's USA and District of Columbia. :-)

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#6]
With Monkey supporting Windows 8 and Phone 8 development I wanted to ensure this community was aware of this deal.

Is this true? I didn't think Monkey supported Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 development? As I understand XNA is not available from Microsoft for Windows 8 Store apps and Windows Phone 8 Store apps?

For starters, it looks like you can ONLY develop Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Store apps using, ah, er, em... Windows 8, you can't develop on Windows 7, what's up with that?

For XNA, you must use the open-source MonoGame framework

Is MonoGame a viable way to develop Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps?

You throw us a carrot (Microsoft via JohnnyBritish), but we need the special sauce to go with it :)...

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yes you need Win8 to develop for it.It isn't a restriction that Mark has made up.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#8]
I realize it isn't something Mark made up. The real question is if you can use Monkey to develop and publish apps in the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Stores. XNA is not native, and I didn't think the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Phone targets were ready for prime time, or even if they would be officially supported?

Wylaryzel(Posted 2013) [#9]
Working on a Win8 machine I can currently compile my monkey prototype to Win8 without any problems.

TBH, I didn't try to submit anything to the shop up to now as the game is not ready for prime time yet

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#10]
@Wylaryzel - Thanks for the vote of confidence, I also know that Mark has been doing work on the both the Win8 and WinPhone8 targets so that is encouraging. Would rather use the native Windows 8 SDKs, but the XNA route also seemed interesting via MonoGame. Wasn't planning to update my dev. environment to Windows 8, but in order to play in the new Microsoft app stores, there appears to be no fighting it.