Struggling against machines....

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Struggling against machines....

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#1]
How much time do you spend with updating, waiting while updating, finding out, what happened after new updates?

It is back breaking, how much time you loose with all this stupid updates and new features and incompatibilty problems afterwards....
I cannot spend the half day with trying to reanimate a system, that yesterday worked well...

I also watch Monkey walking in this direction. The new V67 has a lot of features somebody needs but not everybody. And the documentation cannot keep pace and the users too.

Example:
Why did they change Millisecs()? Because someone is too stupid to think about another way to seed RND()? Crazy!

We all should discuss more about the helpfullnes of new features. Where has gone the ease we were used in the days of BMAX?

Example:
You need a half day to find out and install all additional tools to get a monkey project run on your smartphone. And the other half day you try to find out, what all this tools are necessary for...(and capitulate at the end of the day...) Is this really the best way?

Please, dear Blitz-Research-Team, think about usability and ease and first prefer features which can solve incompatibility problems to those, which add new incompatibilitys.

Sorry for my bad english...It should sound satiric not angry.

with regards

a (today) demoralized Midimaster

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#2]
Time for a roadmap update, or maybe a roadmap proposal that could be voted on and prioritized somewhat with community voting or via a survey sent out to all Monkey community members?

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#3]
Its not that bad bro, I can get a new machine running with monkey quickly now ive had some practice.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
It's not so bad, IMO.

The 3rd party tools issue is not Monkey's fault, it comes with the territory of having a multi-target language. It simply cannot be as easy as BMax. And it seems to be 'done once, done forever' with the tools.

As for Monkey, unless you are eager to test or use new features, why not stay a few steps behind? I have not installed V67 yet, and I only went to V66 because of the Android 4.2 bug fix. If it caused any problems, I would have reverted and edited a previous mojo version to fix the bug. Generally I have found that stable Monkey updates cause no problems by the time I install them.

Millisecs() is something of an exception - very few functions have in fact changed since the beginning. Probably it would have been better to leave it as it was even if it was not the best choice, and add something like diddy.RealMillisecs() as well.

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#5]
I think Mark changed Millisecs() back now. See posts 3 and 4 here:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4484

v67* is definitely not production ready yet. Soon.