Names of Old!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Names of Old!

Amon(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just a quick post to say I'm seeing more and more peeps of old here; long time blitzers.

Nice to see you lot here. I guess the phrase 'Blitzers Till We Die' holds true.

:)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
indeed.

can only be a good thing as well.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#3]
Been here for quite a while and wrote a few things in monkey, however in the last year I have been using monkey more and more so in the coming years it is in me toolbox :-)

There is projects we are working on which are targeted at android so hopefully they will be released soon :-)

Shagwana(Posted 2013) [#4]
One of the golden oldies here too

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
starting to feel really OLD now .. :S

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#6]
I was a Blitzer on the Amiga... not really much on PC as I went to C++!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yep I'm another old timer, kinda drifted away from coding for a while, but nice to be back now with Monkey.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
I lurk here, mostly. Still using Blitzmax so I post most stuff over there.

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#9]
Me too :)

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#10]
BlitzCoder was home and I was sad to see it disappear. Whatever happened to Krylar? He hasn't posted on his blogspot for over a year now.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#11]
BlitzCoder was amazing, funny as this sounds but its features were way better than the official site so much so that back in the early days I almost never posted here, and posted exclusively on BC.

Its funny when you consider how old that site would be now and yet it still offers far greater functionality than even this site does now, which just boggles the mind when you think about it.

I used to have that full site backed up, at one point I planned to rehost the lot but at the time I had other things crop up that required more of my time.

Its a real shame that its no longer around.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#12]
I used to frequent blitzcoder until guildhall leisure/idigicon killed it off which was a bloody shame,if krylar had kept it I'm sure it would still be going in some form or other.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#13]
Yeah guildhall had some big issues with brl, I cant really moan about them myself because it was them that pulled me over to blitz from db which I have since been eternally grateful.

But I have to agree that closing down that site was a major mistake, I think selling it to them in the first place was a bigger mistake tho.

Tried finding it on the wayback machine bit it looks like the domain name is active still so it didnt list anything sadly.

I know some of you will not agree with what I am about to say, bit I think one of the things that made it such a good site was that it did not require an official brl key to post.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#14]
Ah for me I did blitz back in the Amiga days, after that it was c/c++ then db classic after writing starflight 2000 mark liked the game so I got onto the beta team and have been with blitz in some form or other since then :-)

Yeah I've looked at the competition who hasn't but blitz is easier for me to use ATM when it gets would in the tooth that it's unusable then I will look elsewhere.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Yeah I think it was an Arkanoid style game I was doing in DB when guildhall saw it and asked me to redo it with blitz.

God I loved the Amiga that machine was before its time, I had the 500 the 600 and for a short time a A1200 before I got my first IBM PC, I did the same I learnt C++ for college but in my own time was using DB, but when I saw blitz it just felt like home, no other way I can say it.

I even had an argument with examples with one of my UNI lecturers that we should be using a Blitz product in the first year but they insisted on DB Pro which drove me round the fkn bend.

I think its nice to see there are still some of us around, although I think with monkey its really evident that there are far fewer of us now than there was for B3D and BMax, its a worrying trend as it seems numbers are dwindling just as things seem to be getting exciting.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#16]
Yeah I do believe that loads haven't made the transition from blitz3d/blitzmax to monkey yet as some elements they require aren't in there yet.

I still use max because server side things just cannot be done in monkey, now I can compile and use both on me Linux laptop there is no need to use windows or OSX at all as my netbook is capable enough for testing purposes and I have even compiled a build on me nexus from it.

Myself, GfK and a few others have been here since the beginning and have seen many talented coder come and go, and even more stay and lurk. On the whole blitz has matured over the years and its nice to see everything moving towards the total multi platform approach.