New Monkey User

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/New Monkey User

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hey all,

I'm a long time Blitzer, been thinking about it for a while and finally took the plunge and bought Monkey and an iOS Dev Licence.

Still feel a bit confused that even though Monkey and the iOS Licence are meant to be the same price, Monkey came out £20+ more expensive - not sure what is happening there?

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I'll be having a look around the forums and getting used to Monkey as best I can.

I'm sure I'll have questions, so I hope to see you around :)

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hello,

I noticed that as well; I can only assume the $99 doesn't include VAT.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ah yeah possibly, maybe they should make this a little clearer as even if Monkey is worth the money, it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth which isn't the best start.

On the flipside, I already have Monkey compiling to all targets except iOS (still waiting on the email to confirm my subscription, but I'm wondering in this day and age how it can take a full day!?)

I had to search the forums a little for info on setting up for Android, but other than that it was pretty painless - hopefully iOS will be the same.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
It is the VAT. Welcome to the forum.

NoOdle(Posted 2013) [#5]
welcome :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#6]
Well my iOS Dev details turned up about an hour ago, and after much reading and blindly copying guides I have just deployed the obligatory "Hello World" to my iPod Touch 4G from xCode! :)

All that keychain stuff seems like far too much hassle, but what do I know?

So that is all targets compiling for me within 24hrs, and most of that was waiting for Apple to send me my details.

Looking forward to getting to grips with Monkey! :)

edit:
The xCode project that Monkey spat out gave me 1 on issue on compiling which was the use of 'setStatusBarHidden:animated' in 'Other Sources/main.mm' as it says it was deprecated in iOS 3.2.

Not a major thing but I didn't expect any warnings in a 'Hello World' and it seems easy to fix I would think.

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#7]
Right again, the IOS key chain system is an absolute farce compared to MS system of just unlocking the device.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#8]
Yeah, I've just had another hour long battle after I found out about xCode managing Team Provisioning Profiles for testing and then somehow I had multiple entries of keys/certs/chains/stockings/suspenders all with the same name and no idea what was what - what a ballache.

All sorted now though (fingers crossed) and have compiled a couple of the Monkey samples and deployed them to my iPod without any problems!

*big grin* :)