Chomebook outsells Windows 8

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Chomebook outsells Windows 8

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#1]
Apparently there was a boom in the sales of the new Chromebooks over Christmas - so much so they were the best selling laptops on Amazon, with more Chromebooks being sold than Windows 8. It could be a good time for Monkey users to consider making apps that take advantage of the full capability of the OS - i.e. offline storage, etc.

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#2]
Has the chromebook design changed? the original idea was madness, it was totally useless if you didn't have an internet connection.

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#3]
I'm actually surprised that Apple haven't sued Samsung over the similarity to the Macbook Air ;-).

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yes, it has improved a lot. There are different versions, the one that is a hit is an ARM powered device that looks a lot like a Macbook Air, but at a fraction of the price ($249 / £229). The latest ChromeOS now has support for offline storage and multitasking - i.e. you can open multiple web apps at the same time. Take a look at this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRlfz83lmhE

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
I am going to recommend a chromebook to my parents, they are the kind of people who write the odd document in open office and center things by spacing it out and typing all in caps, it's embarrassing... so I think a simple device like a chromebook and google docs will work for them.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#6]
I still feel the price is too high for what it does. You can get "real" laptops on sale every week for not much more.

Samah(Posted 2013) [#7]
@Leon Brown: I'm actually surprised that Apple haven't sued Samsung over the similarity to the Macbook Air ;-).

My thoughts exactly; that slimline keyboard looks almost identical.

I'd get one if it had thunderbolt... ;)

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#8]
I just tested it and it runs apps as fast as Chrome on my Macbook, including 3D WebGL.