Ubuntu OS Phone

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Ubuntu OS Phone

dragon(Posted 2013) [#1]
Nice video:
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Monkey should also support it...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
"Ubuntu now fits your phone"... but only if you have a Galaxy Nexus (which the majority of people don't).

It would be industrial suicide to support it at this stage, if ever.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#3]
ok, today we have a wild west situation on phone/tablet/tv
here are too many OS & HW comming from everywhere

next one:

modified android from china:
http://en.miui.com/

(look video MIUI v4 - amazing!)

you can flash it yourself to some phones like cyanogenmod

secondgear(Posted 2013) [#4]
I agree with GfK. While the idea of using one device as a smartphone and as a portable desktop is certainly appealing, too many things need to be put in place for Ubuntu to succeed at mass scale (support from manufacturers and carriers, affordable peripherals, filling up the mobile app catalogue, etc.)

MIUI looks fantastic. Made me want to flash my Nexus One :)

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#5]
The interface looks amazing. I have felt for the last few years that the phone will eventually be the all in one device. You go home and wirelessly connect to any TV as a monitor and currently use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse which will eventually be supplanted by voice and motion controls.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have felt for the last few years that the phone will eventually be the all in one device. You go home and wirelessly connect to any TV as a monitor and currently use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse which will eventually be supplanted by voice and motion controls.
The big flaw in the masterplan, though, is that modern mobile devices can only go for a day and a half at best with moderate use, before a recharge is needed. Streaming video remotely to a TV would kill the battery dead within a half hour show.

If only mobile manufacturers were putting as much effort into battery R&D as they do with their handsets.

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#7]
These phones would be better if there was a standard docking feature available with TVs and monitors.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#8]
With the Lumia 920 I have built in wireless charging, so just sit it on the end table and the problems are solved :)

I do agree that battery technology needs a revolution. I have read of a couple of different things supposedly coming soon that are going to greatly improve the tech.