OUYA versus Tablets - Controllers

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/OUYA versus Tablets - Controllers

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi guys,

Since OUYA seem to go quite well i was starting to think about targetting my game for the OUYA too. There is one concern through. My game will be currently adapted to play for desktop and tablets, its easy to make the use of the mouse, keyboard and some kind of virtual keyboard on android. At some point you need to input text (for this i used Challenger GUI 3 because it support many stuff and its fast. It needed some tweaks only to make it work flawlessy on others targets on a recent monkey version). Would it be possible to handle text input with the controller on the OUYA and then handle tablets and desktop in a different way while keeping everything work togheter ? I think compiler declaration is the way to go (#IF, etc.) but if you guys wanted to input text in your games with a controller. How would you guys handle this ?

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#2]
First I'd do my best to not have any require text input for my controller games.

On OUYA you have player accounts, so I'd assume there is no need to enter nick-names or such for scores.

However you might have a game where the player can name a character, a car, a house, a city and so on. And if there is great gameplay value in that then adding a virtual keyboard is how it works on the main consoles & touch devices. I am planning to let users that want to enter their e-mail if they want updates.

Hopefully there is a way to use the Android keyboard using the touch-thing on the OUYA controller or something. Hopefully this is solved by the dev-team or will soon by the community.

A interesting thing with making your own keyboard is localization. Either you only support a-z or you make ~50 different keyboard layouts :)

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#3]
Alright i see. Then the controller is maybe not a good idea in that case lol Thanks.