Anyone using Monkey for "larger" projects?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Anyone using Monkey for "larger" projects?

Kauffy(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is anyone using Monkey for larger scale games (think of things like Towns or Dwarf Fortress) or things larger than that? (Larger in terms of complexity, not just hours of gameplay).

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't know if mine can be considered complex, but my levels are getting kind of complex and I build a level editor to kind of cancel that out (placing images, collision geometry, particles, event triggers, writing scripts, ...)
If content is your problem, converting that to data and then loading these files will help a lot with complexity. Also using a scripting language for your behavior can help to tackle this.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yes I do. I guess my submarine game will become quite complex. It's using minib3d.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
I would consider Skids soccer game quite complex.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yes, absolutely.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#6]
I consider my 9 Iron Ninja game to be pretty complex. You can get achievements, costumes for your ninja, randomly generated terrains, in-app purchase to unlock the full game, multiple menu screens, scrolling list views, dialog windows.

The only problem I have with getting into complex development right now is file streaming. I wrote my own module for reading/writing files on Android and iOS, but now I guess v66 has some file streaming capabilities I need to try out - which hopefully work on all the mobile targets.

Saving big chunks of data will be necessary for the next "big" game I want to make.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#7]
im making a fairly complex wargame and only ran into a small problem

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4207

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#8]
Yes i do. I am currently working on a big scale project (Which is an online game frontend using monkey and server-end using C#) alone this is a lots of work through but its possible if you put enough dedication to this and keep yourself motivated.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#9]
I'm doing a roguelike. I don't think it will be of the complexity of Dwarf Fortress, but it will be a reasonably complex one.

tiresius(Posted 2013) [#10]
I have a few big projects in mind but I want to continue learning Monkey and quality OOP methods, and pump out several more smaller games before I get to a mega-project.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#11]
I am making a procedurally generated universe for port of an old game im working on, at the moment its slow going but its getting there. I just want to see if Monkey can handle such a project before I move development over to the language :)

I know the selected targets have their own limitations but on the whole if monkey can compile it for HTML5 and work 95% speed then I know everything else will work 110% ;)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#12]
95% speed on HTML5... mmh. I would be surprised if it does. On which browser do you want to see that? Graphic wise Chrome is the fastest. Calculation wise I think FF takes the top spot here.

Leon Brown(Posted 2013) [#13]
95% speed on HTML5... mmh. I would be surprised if it does. On which browser do you want to see that? Graphic wise Chrome is the fastest. Calculation wise I think FF takes the top spot here.

That's where NaCL on Chrome comes in handy.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#14]
yeah im using Chrome at the moment, by 95% I meant if the game runs at 95% of how it should run then thats a bonus on my part :D

Kauffy(Posted 2013) [#15]
Thanks for all the input-- I was just curious if other people saw Monkey as a viable platform for "larger" scale games. I couldn't see any obvious limitations (other than the resource limitations on certain platforms), so I didn't know if people regarded it as common knowledge that e.g., "Use Monkey for simple flash-style games and things, but use ________ for more complex projects."

I have a large project in the works that I don't anticipate Monkey having any issue with-- but I'm certainly having my fair share of challenges. :)