Scope2D Level Editor open sourced

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Scope2D Level Editor open sourced

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#1]
Scope2D is a non-tile based Level Editor written in BlitzMax.
You can create Levels in the style of Braid, Aquaria or Limbo.

github: https://github.com/shinkiro1/Scope-2D

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#2]
Cool project, and a super nice website you have :)

If you are interested here are some possible improvement suggestions:

I noticed the work-flow can be much-improved if the user could short-circuit the select | move | scale | rotate icons. You probably already know this, but here it is anyway:

I would prefer a multi-mode like this: MoveMode is by default active. If user hold LEFT-CTRL SelectMode activates - while in SelectMode LeftMouse adds to selection, RightMouse removes from selection. Automaticly re-enter MoveMode when CTRL is released. In MoveMode (default) LeftMouse moves like normal, RightMouse moves straight. If User Holds ALT and Drags using Left then a Copy is made of the current selection and MoveMode is entered with this selection (short for Ctrl+c - just like in PowerPoint!), RightMouse same but moves straight. Hold SHIFT and LeftMouse changes scale, RightMouse changes rotation. And I'd use SPACE only used to open imagebank intead of rightMouse. Hope you get the general instant-command idea I'm aiming for, what specific keys that are used are not that important :)

Also in the zip you had a main.bmx file? I expected after reading in your docs there was a Monkey Loader Example.

I think I might have great use for this in the future.

And while I'm at it, a suggested feature that would be very useful for me would be a mode for setting points, circles and rects - that can be used for area-triggers, ai-waypoints - I did noticed a "player" sprite. Maybe this is how you intended that to work?

And hold middle-mouse to scroll :)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hey Tibit, thanks for your feedback.

If you downloaded the zip from the website you got a very old version, I haven't updated it in a long time (like 6 months). Github has the most recent version.
Also the controls have changed quite a bit to enhance the workflow. It's loosley based on Autodesk's Maya (3D App) keyboard shortcuts (see github readme)

If User Holds ALT and Drags using Left then a Copy is made of the current selection

I have put that on my ToDo List.

And I'd use SPACE only used to open imagebank intead of rightMouse.

In the current version that's the case, the right mouse will be used to create the last created sprite again (under mouse position).

And while I'm at it, a suggested feature that would be very useful for me would be a mode for setting points, circles and rects - that can be used for area-triggers, ai-waypoints - I did noticed a "player" sprite. Maybe this is how you intended that to work?

I am in the process of doing this because I also need that for my game.
In the current version there are 3 'modes':
* Edit Mode: normal editing of sprites
* Colission Mode: place primitives (rects only for now) that act as colission polygons
* Event Mode: Setting Trigger Areas, etc. (Not implemented yet)

And hold middle-mouse to scroll :)

Scrolling is now done by Cmd/Alt dragging.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#4]
Sounds Awesome!

If you downloaded the zip from the website you got a very old version, I haven't updated it in a long time (like 6 months)

Ah hehe, I'll pull the Git version from now on then

Maybe relink the download to point to the gitrepo? ;)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've replaced the old download buttons with a single one now which directly downloads from github.
Thanks for pointing that out. Also I did some updates to the website. It's still not fully correct but the most part is ok now :)

PS:
Ah hehe, I'll pull the Git version from now on then

Sorry for kind of blaming you :/