New Server!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/New Server!

simonh(Posted 2012) [#1]
Slightly overdue, we've moved over to a new, much faster server so hopefully you won't have to keep making cups of tea while waiting for pages to load.

I'm afraid the server content is from two days ago, so anything posted in the last two days will have disappeared.

If you spot anything out-of-place or plain not working, please let us know.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#2]
the content of the last 2 days will come later? Or is lost?

Amon(Posted 2012) [#3]
The Content Loss is a minor thing. A new server is good news as it was becoming quite painful trying to browse both this and BB.com with all the slowness.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
Mmmh, imho not really faster sometimes.

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#5]
It seems very fast to me.

I tried a Visual Route Trace which starts from three locations. US and Asia/Pacific were fast but I gave up waiting for results from Europe.

Anyway, monkeycoder apparently lives in Dallas.

Rus(Posted 2012) [#6]
I noticed some slowdowns previously. Everything seems nice a fast from here in Malaysia!

@simonh
I posted a bug report in the last two days, that disappeared. Should I repost or will the 'lost' posts be re-instated?

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#7]
so far way better for me... :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#8]
Way faster for me too, though I was blaming it on my internet dongle.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#9]
Rus - please repost. I don't think the missing posts will be re-added.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#10]
Wow much better :D

Rus(Posted 2012) [#11]
simonh - Thanks! I've gone ahead and done just that! Cheers!

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#12]
It's A LOT faster now.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#13]
ooof- i had a big post....

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#14]
While we are discussing unpresentable site design, it seems that on site happened not very good update. People have lost their posts, discussions and some bug reports. It happened without notification. Also, I'm sure, a few new users were also lost. It doesn’t inspire confidence.

New server - it is good. But it would be better to have update without losing data.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#15]
Intentional data loss on server migration? Good grief.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#16]
It could have been much better without data getting lost, there's no discussion here. It seems some people is never happy. I am, I like this site going this fast. And, additionaly I honestly don't think this is intentional. Also, there's nothing preventing users to repost whatever and I'm sure new users will be able to register again if that hasn't been manually done by BRL just after the server migration was completed.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#17]
Old server is still around if you need something from the last two days.

http://74.86.81.120/~monkeyco/Community/_index_.php

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#18]
It seems some people is never happy.

Holy crap. You're really going to paint being unimpressed by using an out-of-date backup for server migration as just being due to a "glass half-empty" outlook? It's a pretty basic expectation for web-hosts to migrate data intact.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#19]
I'm sure people will live through the Trauma of some data being lost. Inevitable there were casualties but we got most of those men home. Buck up man, you're a soldier now. :/

simonh(Posted 2012) [#20]
Holy crap. You're really going to paint being unimpressed by using an out-of-date backup for server migration as just being due to a "glass half-empty" outlook? It's a pretty basic expectation for web-hosts to migrate data intact.

The data was 99.9% intact. We did the migration ourselves, and it took a day or two, hence why a handful of posts are missing from the last two days. Sorry if you're annoyed by it so much.

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#21]
There are several ways to avoid data loss during migration. I was able to do it with my own sites. But maybe I do not know something important. In any case, I did not want to offend anyone, but it would be desirable, that next time we were notified.

Thank you!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#22]
I can confirm that the world is still turning on its axis over here.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#23]
Great news!

However I never made a copy of that tutorial I wrote. Any possibility getting that post back?

EDIT nwm I'll reformat it from the backup copy :)

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#24]
@Tibit only one way - to copy manually form http://74.86.81.120/~monkeyco/Community/_index_.php

michaelcontento(Posted 2012) [#25]

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#26]
BRL passive-aggressive response to legitimate criticism mode engaged I see.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#27]
This reminds me of the typical situation with wife/partner:

-Darling, what happens?
-Nothing, nothing..
-Are you sure?
-Yes, yes...
-Totaly sure?
-Yes, yes, I'm good
-Ok, then I'll go
-What!!? Ok, leave me, ignore me as you always do, insensible son of a...

It doesn't matter what you do, you know she won't be happy.

Now seriously, I honestly do not believe anyone is that annoyed because of the lost data. We all know it is not good, and it should not happen, but I'm pretty sure we'll get over it...

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#28]
@ziggy it is not good for reputation. Yes, we all know that nothing bad actually happened. But for new and potential users, it can be frustrating. If we can do it better - we must do it.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#29]
@devolonter: Of course! I'm sure BRL and Simon already knows it. In my opinion, I think we should see it in its proportion. This is not the Nasa or a National Security service. We're not handling missiles or the like, so we could just have had the taste of not spoiling a good news in the same thread in less than 24 hours. I understand critics help people improve. Ok, that's a good thing, but there are ways and ways to say it.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#30]
Sorry, Ziggy, but I really can't get on board with the practice of belittling customer issues. The data loss shouldn't have happened and I'm sure anyone involved in server apps would scratch their head to work out how on earth such a loss would ever need to happen.

It's completely reasonable for me or anyone else to note their disappointment with the action. Responding to those comments with sarcastic variations on "stop whining, the posts aren't important" isn't reasonable especially from BRL themselves. "Nothing any customer posted in the last two days means anything to us and you can just go fix it yourself if you want to repost" is a shoddy, shoddy look.

Putting up a straw man that any complaint is some sort of hysterical claim that it's the end of the world is disrespectful and worse for customer relations than the initial cause for complaint. A response I could respect would include recognition that it's a mistake, an apology for doing it that way, a statement of intention to do better in the future and an offer of remedy if possible. It's not hard.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#31]
@muddy_shoes: But... come on... Nobody says it is not reasonable to complain, nobody says it is not something that should have not happened. I only say I don't see it as something this important, and that I do not share the tone of the complaints. BRL are not working for us, and they provide a free self-hosted community to people that holds a Monkey license, which is something nobody is paying them to do, so we could just be a bit more respectful.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#32]
The problematic "tone" I see in this thread is not from those who said that losing data was a poor show.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#33]
Intentional data loss on server migration? Good grief.
That's what I was referring with disrespectful tone. "Intentional" is very different from "undesired", or "accidental".
That said, I think my point of view has been clearly explained, feel free to disagree I truly think I have nothing more to say.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#34]
That's not "tone". Passive aggressive non-apologies and belittling critics by characterising them as pathological moaners or the act of criticism itself as hysterical exaggeration is.

If someone would care to explain how it isn't intentional when the data is still available then I'd be interested to hear that. The evidence and description point towards a totally intentional act. The data still exists. BRL did the migration themselves. In what way are we meant to come to the conclusion that just dropping two days of data without any notice to the users wasn't intentional?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#35]
If someone would care to explain how it isn't intentional when
Yes, that's easy. There's something called mistakes. Some mortals do them every once in a while. When you do one, it's usualy not your intention. Also, If it's small, you're not suposed to flagelate in public. Specially when there are good intentions behind the facts.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#36]
It wasn't intentional - the server migration was completed Tuesday morning (when the data was current), and unfortunately due to a communication delay between Mark and me (which is often difficult due to UK/NZ time differences), it took longer than expected to update the domain zones to point the domain names at the new server.

We haven't re-added the missing data as we felt it's not worth potentially messing things up. The old data is still viewable via the above link if there's anything you wish to keep. There was probably less than 50 posts not transferred.

Locking this now as sadly it's become a negative discussion about what was meant to be a positive thing. We have a nice fast new server - let's enjoy that.