Should Sifteo be the next official Monkey Target?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Should Sifteo be the next official Monkey Target?

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#1]
For consideration of Mark and Monkey community:

IMHO, Sifteo Cubes could be a huge opportunity, great fit, and could make monkeycoders go bananas!

What are they?

https://www.sifteo.com/cubes

They have excellent documentation, and a kick-ass emulator. Start here to find out about the technical details:

https://www.sifteo.com/developers

Chime in with your comments, thumbs up, thumbs down, or feasible or not?

Cheers,

Andy

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nice gadget. Maybe when the new implementation system for targets come out, you cna give it a go. For an official support, I don't see a market for it.

dragon(Posted 2012) [#3]
you can create own targets

this system is really non standard

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yes you can create your own targets, but it isn't documented. And Marc hinted that a new system is comming, so I would wait to do any work before that is out.

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thumbs down...
...too expensive
...not exactly portable, if you can produce a way to play with them without needing a notebook or desktop computer then you'll solve the biggest issue

Does Monkey need more targets? I'm hoping Marc is going to add more modules to Monkey. Modules like GUI, 2D, 3D. Yes there are 3rd party modules but using one can introduce bugs and delay while the 3rd party updates their module to be compatible with the latest Monkey release.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
Waldo, there is a 2D module, called Mojo :-)

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#7]
Well i think we must give it time. Furthermore, i don't think a GUI would be implemented by Mark.. this shouldn't be native.

xAD(Posted 2012) [#8]
Oh, it's a toy like Cubeworld meets Chumby.
Why does it not just use standard Java or something if they want penetration? Silly.

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#9]
I do like the fact they've opened it up to outside developers, though it seems, for the moment, they're really more interested in working with established/proven ones.

It's a very cool toy, just in need of a purpose. I think it's provides an interesting challenge for game developers. Maybe I'll dabble with for fun ...

Belimoth(Posted 2012) [#10]
This is cool, I'm going to have fun thinking of game ideas for this hardware.

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#11]
I think if Mr Sibly decided to bring Sifteo cubes to Monkey it will make a great addition, although I can't see it happening, but I would much prefer developing for this platform than have a PS Mobile target, I wish I knew enough C++ to be able to do it myself!

I'll gladly pay for an update though if anyone would like to bring these little cubes to the world of Monkey :)