Auto or Manual ...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Auto or Manual ...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm old enough now that I have been playing shooters like Tiger Heli, Truxton, R-Type, 1942 and many others in their original Arcade format, as a result I have grown up as a manual button bashing kinda guy.

But I realize that others may not be like me, and the trend in shooters today seems to be to have auto fire.

So are you an Auto fire kinda guy, or frantic button smashing kinda guy.

this has some relevance to some of my projects so any reply will actually help.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm old school, so I say autofire is cheating. :-)

But I think autofire is convenient for mobile...

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#3]
Totally game dependent.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#4]
manual fire hurts my fingers, I dont think autofire takes anything away from the game unless its like galaxian of course.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
c.k im the same lol cheating sods with their auto fire lol, that being said im sure I broke my fair share of arcade machines the way I used to bash the hell outa their buttons.

I think its a no brainer for mobile shooters, unless you wana bash the hell out of your mobile its kinda common sense that you need auto fire.

but for xbox, pc, mac im not so sure.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
Autofire on mobiles is better cause you need only one finger that blocks the screen view.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
yeah that was something I noticed while testing Terminal on the iPad, using a virtual joystike reduces the issue of screen blocking a bit tho but I feel you lose some control.

As for the fire I have tested tapping to shoot , as an oldie and a guy whos spent god knows how many 10p's on shooters and hours of button bashing, tapping the ipad just didnt seem the same.

testing the same code on a pad felt better but something was still missing.

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#8]
It depends on the system, for touch tablets/phones autofire removes a lot of control issues.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
Have both and add it as an option ;)

maltic(Posted 2012) [#10]
You could have automatic weapons and an in-game purchasable upgrade.

Although one can imagine that manual fire on a touch screen might get pretty tedious. It really depends on the game and target platform.

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#11]
Have a look at the llamasoft ios games.