Where's Monkey at these days?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Where's Monkey at these days?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
It's been nearly a year since I used Monkey and I haven't used it for at least ten versions. Can anybody give me a quick summary of the major improvements/more recent features, particularly pertaining to iOS?

Debugger? Proper file I/O? New features?

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#2]
This is the latest VERSIONS.TXT:

Why not keep your current version and install the latest alongside it? (Just leave the .monkey file association with the old version.) You just have to copy your existing config file/s over and you're done.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I thought you meant you were sticking with an old version; just realised you haven't been using it at all. Tons been added over the year, though.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I think the last version I used was 49 or 50. Going to have to read through that lot when I get to a big screen/proper PC (am on me iPad).

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Debugger? Proper file I/O? New features?

GLFW has debugger support and I think most of the targets now have some kind of proper file I/O.

New features... async stuff, binary files, read / write pixels, metro amd psm targets, reflection, exceptions...

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#5]
metro targets? I dont see that option.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#6]
Are you on windows 8?

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#7]
I setup win8rc and VS2012rc in vmware but i still only get the standard xna option in monkey, is there more setup needed?
The supplied VS metro demos compile fine in VS.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#8]
Im not sure the metro target has been released yet but sounds like it will be ready http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3206

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#9]
In regard to the development of Monkey.
Can we say that anything but the language itself will be community created?

I saw plenty of modules that may very well fit a great framework like JungleGUI, Diddy, MNet, etc.

Still no official plan to avoid rewriting the wheel?
It's great if you want to learn how to do everything, but it is not my goal.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#10]
It's perfectly normal for most of a language's libraries to be created by "the community". Monkey's community isn't exactly large or heavily populated with people ready and willing to write libraries though. To a certain extent it's chicken and egg.

Monkey's open-source/public-domain and proprietary dual nature is also very unclear on the surface and I've read more than one comment that this is very off-putting to many people who are of the sort who do tend to create and publish libraries.

There are certainly issues with the standard libs being rather sparse and with the discoverability of existing libraries though, I agree.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#11]
In fact, I just need the Farseer physics engine library.
Sticking to Windows because of XNA isn't a problem.

I know it's possible to directly extend Monkey with external XNA class but I have no clue on how to implement callback and what to modify in order to make a reference to the Farseer libs in the XNA Target system of Monkey.

There isn't much movement on the XNA forum to learn how to do this, but I know it's possible given that kind of stuff : http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3746