Need to see difference between mp3 files.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Need to see difference between mp3 files.

ondesic(Posted 2012) [#1]
Does anyone know of a program that I can view the details of an mp3?

Using one common source file, I created 2 mp3s from two different programs, but with the same settings. One runs in FLASH, the other doesn't.

I can't figure what the difference between them is.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#2]
This happens me all the time too - I suspect it is short files that get encoded correctly. Audacity does some files right and not others.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#3]
Audacity?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yep.

I haven't looked around much for other options.

ondesic(Posted 2012) [#5]
I tested audacity but no matter what settings I use it produces files that only play for a few seconds in flash.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#6]
If you have money to spare, I suggest getting 010 editor and using the mp3 template they have to compare the files - http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/templates/

As far as sound conversion goes, I used to use Audacity and it was alright but, as stated above, had some issues. Now I use GoldWave for pretty much all sound conversion and have yet to have issues playing the files with Monkey or any other programs for that matter. So if you have more money to spare, I strongly recommend getting that.

ondesic(Posted 2012) [#7]
I will check out 010.

I bought goldwave as well (I use it so much I thought it only far). However, GoldWave can't encode it right either. Remember, the files I am having problems with are long files (over 14 sec). If they are shorter than 7 sec then they play fine. If they are over 7 sec and are 22050 hz, they will stop at 7 sec (14 sec if the mp3 is 44.1 Khz).

Also, I encoded file an entire day (for real) and found another problem. I also found that some programs encode a file to 22050 hz, and every program says it is 22050 hz, but flash will say it is 32000 hz and won't let you use it.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#8]
Would it be possible for you to output a Monkey flash test program that is having the problem and upload it somewhere? I'm wondering if your flash version might just have problems.

Edit: I'm mentioning this because I've encoded several minute+ long music/sounds/etc and had no issues playing them.

Oh, maybe it's a version 62+ problem? Parts of the flash output was changed regarding sounds/music. I was still using v60 when I made my comments.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#9]
I also have had problems with audacity converting files (that play back in monkey).
Since using adapter I've no problems: http://www.macroplant.com/adapter/
But it's just a converter.

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#10]
I'm not sure Mp3s officially support 22khz encoding. Not for a technical reason, but... it's "just the way it is." - I could be talking out of my botty though.

That said this means nothing. I am shocked that we are still having problems decoding MP3s so many years after they were invented (I'm looking at you, Flash, but I am hoping that it is a Monkey bug!)

I have upgraded to the latest version of everything, and my MP3 files play fine. Audacity has never failed me in the 5+ years that I have used it.

If you want to see details and are using windows 7, you can actually just view the details tab when you right-click and select Properties. :-)