Ouya rocks Kickstarter! Monkey should be be there.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Ouya rocks Kickstarter! Monkey should be be there.

chimaera(Posted 2012) [#1]
I don't know (and can't) expect everyone to know about Ouya, a new console (for $99) that is rockin Kickstarter. With a few hours left their campaign has already received over 8 million USD and over 52K backer.

So why is this important for this community? Well, to be short, the platform is based on Android and very open for indie development. So a lot of the people working with Monkey should be able to launch a game on the platform.

I am not a very talented coder (I am the first to admit), but our games will be able to run on the console. The only *but* is that on top of the android SDK will add another Ouya layer to work with their Marketplace SDK. And we don't have it, which means that we don't know how we can utilize this great opportunity.

It would be great if the community OR better MarK S would get in contact with the Ouya team to get their SDK and get it ported to Monkey.

I love this community (and been part of it since early Blitz) but we are not that many. But here we have a great opportunity to make a mark. A console to be launched in March 2013, based on Android that Monkey can work with.

It would be shame if this platform (Monkey) with all it's talents (that you!) given a 7 month period would not be able to deliver some really cool games on a brand new market that will have a marketbase of approx. 57.000 units (based on Kickstarter data) on day one. Your game could be free or you could sell it for 99 cents!

Sorry for a long post! (Expecting a few TL:DR), but I do believe that this is very very important for our community.

Just google Ouya and read more about it. For me (a backer) I truly believe we as a community could add some really cool S*#t.

Chimaera out...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3220

chimaera(Posted 2012) [#3]
I have posted my comments in the above thread, but if you want OUYA support in Monkey please post it here.

BlackD(Posted 2012) [#4]
Why should we post here as well? The Monkey discussion forum is more suited to this topic than the Programming forum. There's no actual programming discussion here. I understand perhaps you don't like the direction of the previous discussion, but the pros and cons have to be given an equal analysis.

Even if BR doesn't make an official target for Ouya, enthusiastic individuals like yourself can always go about modifying the Android target to meet any different Ouya specifications.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#5]
I'm pretty sure Monkey will have OUYA support, the question is when and how.

It should be very simple to wrap considering it uses Android - so the commands that might need to be wrapped are probably not mojo things, it is leaderboards, achievements, coin system, ads, maybe the controller.

Mojo does not wrap any of those things for any other platform, however a lot of things are wrapped and shared by the community here.

What specifically are the API features you want to have wrapped in the OUYA api?

rebelas(Posted 2012) [#6]
chimaera request is legitimate, but I agree with BlackD, this topic should not be here.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
There's no doubt about it, Monkey will have Ouya support. Other game dev tools are already eyeing Ouya as well. As soon as their version of Android SDK is released (probably sometimes early next year before the actual launch), Mark will be all over it just like how he was with the PSM SDK. Best part about Monkey is how capable it is to do stuff like this.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#8]
I am very interested in this console-- a great many people are interested in it and getting in early would be a huge deal there.

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#9]
I am also very interested in this console. Being able to compile for the OUYA would be a big plus to Monkey and Monkey is certainly capable of doing this! We must not miss our chance here. That my 2 cents. Now the problem is WHO will make the target. :) Should we build up a community team for this ? I dunno if Mark will have time to invest in this, he probably too busy with the overall features of Monkey. Anyway i plan on ordering this console as soon as it is available. In marsh i will probably pre-order one.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#10]
For those that are interested, the OUYA ODK beta is released! It came out December 28th, and is mainly centered around the controller, purchasing, and various features centered specifically to the OUYA.

I am playing with the ODK currently, but will need to wait until March when my console makes it to me before I can give it a try on the hardware. Currently, the Developer backers have their consoles in hand with more releasing this month. It has a lot of nice features, while there are many holes in it that need programmed or changed. It will be an interesting ride to see how it progresses.

Adding a Monkey target for OUYA would be very nice. For now there is Java.