Why Metro is gona be such a good thing for windows

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Why Metro is gona be such a good thing for windows

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]

And their talking about it selling for 70 dollars. WTF!. I will be getting one of these for sure, and with a technology like this I can see it being embeded into new keyboards in a few years as a standard feature.

sho needs a touch screen monitor.

xAD(Posted 2012) [#2]
A horribly awkward interface and a locked-down store? Yeah, should be great.
The Leap control looks good, not sure what it has to do with nasty Metro, though.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#3]
The windows store is or will be no different than the apple's, and its long overdue.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#4]
The app store only affects Surface apps, I can see in Windows 9 it being more 'invasive' but that would be at least a year away anyways.

xAD(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've read that "some versions" of Win8 will ONLY be able to acquire new software through Microsoft's store. Depending how prolific those versions are, it could be a very bad thing. Either way, Win8 obviously intends to be a very bad thing and I will treat it as such.

And, breaking news, it's now "Windows 8 style UI" rather than "Metro"

Shanon(Posted 2012) [#6]
Windows 8 makes Windows 9 development easy for Microsoft.

Windows 9 just be a decent GUI added to Windows 8. It will be like how they fixed that terribly distracting, transparent GUI of Vista.

Landon(Posted 2012) [#7]
I got the developers preview of windows 8 on my laptop. i've already been able to easily to port html5 monkey games to metro apps. mostly just copy pasta in visual studio, but seriously making apps is pretty easy.

The interface is a bit awkward to get used to at first if your used to the standard windows layout. Your desktop is now technically an app. I sort of prefer the non desktop windows, using chrome app. multitasking is just as easy using this interface. Overal i'll be happy if they drop the desktop entirely in windows 9. The new metro windows is much smoother and faster IMO.

xAD(Posted 2012) [#8]
Metro is smooth and reasonably fast if you have a score or two of programs/apps you use. If you have hundreds, it's a bloody nightmare.

Well, based on the Xbox implementation, anyhow. I haven't seen a review that would suggest otherwise, though. Most already think it's awkward and poorly thought out.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'm ecstatic about this. Anything we write between now and then will compile seamlessly and be available on the windows store early on. That's a recipe for big cash (assuming that the metro target gets finished which I am sure it will)