which IDE are u using for Monkey ?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/which IDE are u using for Monkey ?

Darky(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello peoples,
im working on a own version of TED with autocomplete & some features...

now i have a question : Which IDE are u using for Monkey at this time ?

which features do u like to see in a IDE ?

Before any critical comments comes out; My IDE will be freeware or opensource ( dont know at this time ) without financial interests... im just would to have my own IDE :D ...

Sorry for bad english, i hope u understand what i would from u

greetz from germy
darky

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm using Jungle on the PC but when i'm on the Mac i use TED. And i'm very interested in having a Mac version of TED that has those features that you mentioned (auto-completion, code wrapping, auto-highlight) :).

Darky(Posted 2012) [#3]
This is my goal ;) im too sitting on windows , linux and mac so i would have an ide that work same on all 3 plattforms :) !

Need more suggestions, come on peoples :D

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Currently using Jungle on windows.

I would take a look a Jungle and then (sorry ziggy) rip as much of it as you can, and by rip I mean look at what he's done and then try and added that feature, because Jungle is by far the best IDE I have used in a long time.

One thing I would add however that Jungle does not currently do, is in the project browser window, allow it to list media files, if I click on an image open that image in a preview window so I can see what it is.

Would be nice to also have documentation, again Jungle does this really a nice way which does not force it on you, but lets you document things you need to with a simple comment.

Darky(Posted 2012) [#5]
This is what i mean i dont would rip anything normally ( im self using jungle on windows ) but im learned from my old coding language ( purebasic ) thats a IDE thats written by self ( look at japbe ;) ) and opensource ( this will be my goal because its based on ted , ted is opensource ) will be faster updated and perfomed that anyone commercial project ....

peoples who like to participate in this project wrote just a email : drakebo [at] hotmail.de

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#6]
Im using the old IDE, cos TED doesnt parse my unindented code for the display thingy on the right :D

Darky(Posted 2012) [#7]
@Slenkar : Then show an example and we will see this as suggestion ;D and built in that your code will be displayed how u like :)

benmc(Posted 2012) [#8]
I really like monk. Is something wrong with me? :)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]
One particular feature that Ziggy hasn't quite been able to implement on Jungle(and i've only mentioned it to him a few times lol) is that auto-highlight feature that Notepad++ has. Basically you highlight a word or anything in the code, and it will auto-highlight all occurrences of that word in the file. This is one of my most used feature when coding at work (boring non-monkey stuff).

Darky(Posted 2012) [#10]
@ Neuro : this now in the todo list ;o)

more suggestions... come on peoples i need this motivation for my sleepless nights of coding >:)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#11]
Neuro I use that all the time when editing css..

and yeah if ziggy happens to read this, +1 for that from me :)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#12]
Here's something else....I really hate it when i can't see the actual line numbers in the IDE. How about adding that to TED :)?

Darky(Posted 2012) [#13]
@Neuro: Why dont joint our dev group ? you have a lot of suggestions :P ... so added your wish to "todo" ....
whatever anyone wish i try to give my best to implement it... :)

we have a project name decided now ( we're 3 so far ) : JaMe³
J...ust
a...nother
M...onkey
e...ditor
³...stand for "free" so free software ;)
=)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#14]
Ted doesn't work with wacom tablets in mouse mode, so I don't use Ted, just monk.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#15]
@Adam, looks like the QT might actually be trying to fix it now:

https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-6127

;)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#16]
I use Jungle on Windows, and Sublime on Mac.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#17]
@Neuro: Why dont joint our dev group ? you have a lot of suggestions :P ... so added your wish to "todo" ....

Sure thing, i'd be glad to help!

skape(Posted 2012) [#18]
I use Jungle on Windows, and Sublime on Mac.

Same here. Jungle's great, but it'd be cool to use a multi-platform IDE. Good luck. :)

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#19]
I'm using Jungle on Windows, Monk on Mac (probably will use TED on Mac in the future). Reason I use Jungle is that I'm addicted to intellisense/codecompletion.

Top features:

* Superb CodeCompletion / Intellisense
* Comment and InCode Document System - Show comments when you start writing classes, methods + attributes (like in VisualStudio)
* When you type implements or extends you get the question "Do you want to add the methods of this interface now?"

* GoTo Definition
* Find all References - Find every place that calls this Method/Function/Field/Global - Quick lookup List so it is super quick to navigate
* Refactoring Support
Rename Variable/Method - Do you want to rename all references to this variable?

Create Method From - I select some rows of text, I click "Create Method From" and I enter a NAME. The selected code is inserted in to a new Method with this name and with attributes - remaining at the place is the call to the method

* When hovering over an Class in Extend then a list of all Methods of that Class is shown - and those that are overriden are marked, abstract and not implenented are red

* Being able to create "Template Projects" that can be shared with others. When creating a new Solution/Project/NewFile there is an option to use a Template - all files are created as described in the template (I strongly suggest this to be scriptable in real code), including folders, optional copy of images, fonts, sounds or other resources specified <-- A framework can create one such file and users can "get going" with a demo game in a second with all the basics pre-setup and some demo code. Also helps with Monkey's publish to targets, since target specific things can be included in these templates so everything works as expected

captmnky(Posted 2013) [#20]
I use geany because it is a very configurable multi-platform IDE.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#21]
TED, because it just works. I like it.

grovey(Posted 2013) [#22]
Jungle IDE here

Grant(Posted 2013) [#23]
I love monk the most, but I'm using Ted because that's what it gives me when I download the updates. I Blame it on being old and stubborn probably, yearning for a time when things were less like the bridge of the star ship enterprise on your screen. Don't get me wrong, I used visual c# and XNA for a while and was astounded at the sheer weight of features and helpful things on offer, I just don't miss them when I don't have them. I think a lot of kids these days would crap bricks or have heart failure if they had to write their game on something like a BBC micro or commodore 64. ;) funnily enough, the inbuilt monitor / assembler / dissasembler on the commodore 16 and commodore 16+4 was called Tedmon. :)

skape(Posted 2013) [#24]
I'm using Mollusk. :)

By the way... why exactly was this thread brought back from the dead? ;)

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#25]
Mollusk too! ;)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#26]
Ted here too. If it had auto complete (for both monkey functions/modules and my own code!) I'd be very happy.

Also, I found a problem with Ted: when code gets too big in one file, it starts to point to wrong lines when showing errors or debugging... that was really a problem when I was doing my Alcatraz game, which due to time constraints became one big pile of code on a single file!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#27]
Mollusk also. It doesn't have Jungle's bells and whistles and still needs a couple of features but is more of a 'better TED'.

I agree with Grant above that TED (and Mollusk) have the advantage of simplicity. Someone relatively new to programming would likely prefer them. I remember many years ago when I started with C++ I had the choice of using the 16-bit MSVC 1.62 or MSVC 4.0, and for a long time I used the former because it just seemed less intimidating (bear in mind that I was new to C++ also). So I don't agree with the hate TED sometimes gets - a beginner will find it quite suitable and easy to use, and an experienced programmer will be aware that alternatives are available. [Not that I couldn't develop in TED easily enough if I had to. My working methods are not strongly editor-dependent.]

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#28]
TED here all the way. And by no means I am a beginner. Just like Gerry, I don't depend on an IDE plus I like more simple IDE better.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#29]
TED.
I grew up having to type individual lines with a clunky Amstrad keyboard, and needing to type whole projects without ever once using a mouse to click on anything.

.. and that's pretty much exactly how I code, today, except with the added bonus that I can use those fancy new "Page Up" and "Page Down" buttons, instead of typing "Edit 19480" to tweak one of my onscreen sprites so that it's 2 more pixels to the left.

I'm old, and I'm set in my ways.
I don't need your annoying "Autocomplete" gubbins popping up and telling me how to spell my variable names!
Grrr

</grumpy old coder>

*notices topic date*
FFS, captmnky, this thread was a year old!!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#30]
God I loved the amstrad, what was that peek , poke memory address that made the computer shit a brick and die, was it Poke 192 ? or something like that , I used to put it in all my games or programs when the user did something stupid.

lol did a gold coin game thing where a special coin would drop the player was meant to avoid and if he caught it by mistake ... BOOM! lol.. god if you did something like that with a modern PC people would freak

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#31]
Ah CPCs... Bios/Basic/Maxam ROMs, instant on, instant IDE/Assembler. Still to this day I have nothing that boots anywhere near that of the CPC and it's languages.

Back on topic... Yes, the simpler the IDE the better for me too. It usually means for plenty of screen space for code and less clutter getting in the way of the compilation/debugging process.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#32]
ElectricBoogaloo, I started on BASIC as well (on MSX, heh!), but having auto-complete - not for variable names, but for function parameters is a bliss, specially since my memory is awful and I can't remember every time which parameter(s) and their order each function takes!

(Specially since I code on several languages during the day, I tend to mix them all up at some point)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#33]
Do I have to mention I use Jungle Ide? XD

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#34]
I started on the C64 and even though I am an "old timer" I believe in using tools that help me get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible(I am the bottle neck!) So I use Jungle. Like Slot, the variables I don't care about so much, but function parameters and method completion are great. Especially if you are using a framework. I can quickly see all of the methods and parameters of built in classes and that prevents me from having to look at the docs most of the time.

skape(Posted 2013) [#35]
I should add that I usually use Jungle on my PC. Thanks ziggy! :D

Shagwana(Posted 2013) [#36]
Sublime Text 3 Beta, working on a custom plug-in myself for it to work with Monkey.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#37]
Is there any future possibility of Jungle making it to Mac?

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#38]
I keep a close look to the PlayOnMac project. There has been some progress in supporting .net 4 there but it's just not ready.

GW_(Posted 2013) [#39]
I use Ted.
the top features a new replacement Ide should have is:

Case correction, like Ted does with monkey keywords but to include all user variables, including scope.

Project default-file setting. So you can build and run from any file you're currently editing.

Show a tooltip of the function definition when editing a functions arguments.
So if you type 'drawpoly(' a tooltip will show with: DrawPoly:Int(verts:Float[])

The ability for the ide to manage projects outside of the monkey directory.

the option to jump to a function/method definition, when editing a call.

Good Luck!
The community would really benefit a free/low cost alternative to Ted with more mature features.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#40]
I use Mollusk. I like some nice features, but I want to just do my thing. Mollusk offers both. I do enjoy ziggy's Jungle if I use windows, but even still, I end up just using Mollusk because its the same on both platforms, does what I need and I don't have to think about which editor I am in.

@ziggy

Why not take a look at Mono / Xamarin Studio? It has a pretty feature rich implementation of .NET 4. I use it a LOT when I'm working on my home computer for work projects (OS X 10.7.5 / Xamarin Studio at home, Windows 7 / VS.NET 2012 at work). The ONLY difference is the GUI. Code wise, its the same.

I guess if its GUI, then I get it.

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#41]
I use Ted. Had a go with JumpIDE but didnt really do it for me, likewise Mollusk.

I'll use Ted until something better comes along.

For me I want

Multi-tab interface when working on multiple files
Code completion, not just for reserved words but variables and method names too.

Gary

rebelas(Posted 2013) [#42]
I have hope for Mollusk only, and it is cheap, but I have to see how much I have to pay for its updates and upgrades in future. I hate to pay for updates.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#43]
I use Ted it does everything i need the only bugbear i have is simply i have to redo the colours etc every time a new monkey version comes out :)

programmer(Posted 2013) [#44]
I purchased license for Jungle IDE year ago, but later I moved to Sublime Text 2.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#45]
Same here. Ted user.

Pierrou(Posted 2013) [#46]
Jungle IDE is great and I'm using it on my main machine. To my surprise, on my Snow Leopard Mac, Mollusk IDE allows me to use any recent Monkey version, while Ted doesn't.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#47]
Still using Jungle here. Now if it can only have that auto-highlight word feature that i've been wanting for so long now :).....

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#48]
Hello,

I use.....the Mollusk demo for now to test it. And I find it's a very very great IDE because :

- it's cheap
- it's not heavy

Thx Mollusk :D

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#49]
I use Mollusk also because it improves on Ted but stays lightweight.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#50]
Still using Jungle here. Now if it can only have that auto-highlight word feature that i've been wanting for so long now :).....
I'm at it. Not sure when it'll be as I want to make it also take into account context. To say:

Class Myclass
   Field MyVariable:Int = 5
   Method MyMethod(MyVariable:String = "Hello!")
      MyVariable = Self.MyVariable
   End
End

In this scenario, if you mark to highlite the MyVariable Field, it should not highlite the first MyVariable on the MyVariable= Self.MyVariable sentence, but highlite the second one. That is, it should differenciate between different identifiers with the same name, depending on context. That's *complicated* to do, but I'm at it... Not ETA on this yet.

More or less, the result should be:
Class Myclass
   Field MyVariable:Int = 5
   Method MyMethod(MyVariable:String = "Hello!")
      MyVariable = Self.MyVariable
   End
End

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#51]
In this scenario, if you mark to highlite the MyVariable Field, it should not highlite the first MyVariable on the MyVariable= Self.MyVariable sentence, but highlite the second one. That is, it should differenciate between different identifiers with the same name, depending on context. That's *complicated* to do, but I'm at it... Not ETA on this yet.

While that sounds great and would definitely like that too, i actually wouldn't mind if it highlight *all* instances of MyVariable itself.

skape(Posted 2013) [#52]
I have hope for Mollusk only, and it is cheap, but I have to see how much I have to pay for its updates and upgrades in future. I hate to pay for updates.

Have no fear, Ryan has stated that all future updates will be free. :)

rebelas(Posted 2013) [#53]
Thanks Unlikely, if what you say is true, then I got a good reason to support Mollusk.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#54]
I have two problems with Mollusk: You can't place the Build Log/App Output in the bottom, just like TED - and after I placed the help/code/explorer window to the left, the code tabs appears on top of it, instead of appearing only above the code area.

Also does it have intellisense? I type "DrawImage" and I don't see the parameters anywhere... and that's the killer feature for me (both for monkey modules, as user generated code!)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#55]
@Slotman:

Yes it does have a basic form of intellisense. It does Auto-completion of the commands, but not the parameters of which the commands require.

Check in the menu for "Settings" -> "Auto Features" and then look for the checkbox labeled "Enable Auto-complete popup box" and make sure it is checked.

Wit this, it will complete the commands but nothing more. I think Ryan has this on his ToDo list, but don't quote me on that :)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#56]
@computercoder: I know about the auto-complete. But what I really need is the parameters list for each function.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#57]
+1 SLotman. I'd love the parameter feature too, although currently I just F1 the command to see how it's done which is a bit slower but does the job.
Mollusk still crashes for me at times, seemingly randomly, so it's difficult to pin down the cause. Otherwise I quite like it as an IDE and it's far better than TED.