OUYA for Monkey?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/OUYA for Monkey?

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#1]
What do you guys think about:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

And Monkey?

I think it could be a killer target, especially for early birds! And we have a lot of games in Monkey to convert in a heartbeat :)'

What do you guys think? Pitfalls? What is good? bad? Flop?

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#2]
Neat. Good price point, $99.

It will be interesting to see how small screen touch games work on a big screen with a joystick. How well would angry birds work on this, for example?

Maybe, being android, monkey stuff will "just work" on this platform?

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#3]
It seems to appeal to nerds, dunno if it will catch on with kids or 'normal' adults as they seem to want the latest eye-candy or gimmicky thing like Wii.

If you want to be a billionaire design a console that gives 100% realistic motion controls (allow the player to wield a lightsaber or sword)

The specs seem good enough to run any monkey games.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#4]

How well would angry birds work on this, for example

should work well seeing that iPad3 has higher resolution than an LCD tv.

I'm just happy the console is hackable.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#5]
I have already ordered one with a spare controller. This is perfect for Monkey devs.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
ok, deep breath (5th attempt at writing this post)

I like the free to play model when its done correctly, and the monitization of the game does not throw any visible or invisible barriers up in the face of the free player.

Sadly , this is rare in todays market, and developers are hell bent on squeezing every cent out of every player, and they do this normally by throwing up these walls, forcing the player to either fall back to a lower level and stop progressing, or force them to fork over regular amounts of money.

World of Tanks, has been the best version of this I have seen so far, but even that has a wall, which comes in the form of repair bills and ammo costs, at a certain point its not viable to play , for example a tier 7 or 8 tank, unless your a premium player.

I have yet to see a free to play game that does this model proud, and really offers a free to play game, with the OPTION for those with spare cash to gain an upper hand, for me the model should never throw walls at the player, buying additional things should always be an option, not a requirement.

So when it comes to this console I have real mixed feelings about it, a whole machine and market dedicated to this model scares me, and as the thirst and greed for the almighty dollar drives publishers and studios, it will only get worse.

THERE!. thats the nicest way I can say that without going off and an epic 10 page rant.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#7]
I'm a big devils advocate on this thing.

I'll be shocked when and if this console sees the light of day, let alone have the game catalog that makes it appeal to a mass market. Tossing in a little Minecraft, Madden and Angry Birds won't cut it IMO.

I see they estimate next March, but they barely have a working prototype now.

Then looking at their updates, they are so confident they'll make it happen, they are already asking for input on longer term goals. Ambition is one thing, but come back to reality here.

Does anyone else suspect big console makers might have a hand-full of patents that could just squash this thing too?

Also, at the time of this post, the KickStarter was around $4M which could be around 40K units in the hands of consumers at launch. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people who already have access to the App Store and Google Play, and we all know how competitive those markets are. So my guess is that a few early adopters could score a few bucks, but otherwise, it's more like an indie arcade with far less users.

But what the hell do I know? All speculation. I hope it works out because it does look cool.

Personally, I think the iOS GameDock is far more desirable.

http://www.iosgamedock.com/ (also has a kickstarter)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#8]
well your gona laugh but their both the exact same thing, one uses iOS, the other Android, but their both essentially doing the exact same thing.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'm on the fence. On the one hand I think the market has room for a media box that also functions as a low-end console. On the other I doubt that the OUYA will do anything more than flag that fact to a larger player. The OUYA console itself seems destined to be just a niche product.

I don't believe that the business intention is to actually make the OUYA a viable console competitor anyway. They're looking to get bought out just like most tech start-ups. Ms. Uhrman might talk about her passion for games but I think she's looking past the camera to her imagined future liquidity event when Google or maybe one of the hardware players like Samsung swoops in and hands her a few hundred million dollars.

The really surprising thing to me is how hard people have bitten the hook. There's certainly tech-geek fun to be had with a hackable $99 box that plugs into your TV but as a consumer games console the story is weak. I don't see how Canabalt is a compelling living-room experience and I don't see how much of the rest of the catalogue of Android games will be either.

From a developer viewpoint it makes even less sense to me to be excited about this right now. Yes it's Android based, but you'll still have work to do to convert (although Monkey users who have written something for XBox will be in a better spot here). Even if the kickstarter keeps flying along the install base will be 100-200K. You'd have to have a pretty big hit in percentage terms to get a decent return out of that. Also, remember that:

1. People know this is Android, so you can bet they'll be looking for Android prices
2. They expressly state that the software will be "hackable"
3. Android has an abysmal piracy rate already

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#10]
yeah I agree, the more I think about the more I realize that nothing about this sounds good to me.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#11]
but Humble Bundle does alright and is a pay-what-you-want model.
don't you think a similar model could be created to have success on this console?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
a pay what you want model differs because its a once off payment, you buy you play, the model their talking about here is free to play with in app/game purchases.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#13]
My understanding is that they're just insisting that there is a free-to-play element. That could be just a demo version. Isn't that the same as XBLA/XBLIG?

Samah(Posted 2012) [#14]
@slenkar: If you want to be a billionaire design a console that gives 100% realistic motion controls (allow the player to wield a lightsaber or sword)

Isn't this what Kinect is supposed to be? I've seen people wielding lightsabers in the new Star Wars game...

Soap(Posted 2012) [#15]
Killer apps sell consoles. If Minecraft has a build on there it's enough to move consoles. This one game is all they need to move millions of units.

Freemium doesn't mean you have to have a cash shop. You can still do demo -> full version.

If pirates kill the console then it will be their own undoing and fuel of fires of streaming / always on DRM services. If it looks like ruthless pirates are a majority of users, then smart devs will take advantage of this and make games which do use always on forms of DRM such as online only game services. We can't predict what will happen, and our personal opinions are mostly irrelevant because even if we can see the bigger picture now we won't know what it becomes by the time this console is released.

How lucky for us to not have to depend on one individual target like so many developers still force themselves to do.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#16]
I have had some argument about this on the Blitz forums. I think it can be a big success. At $99 it is almost disposable. The big problem for most consoles is I don't want to spend $60 on a game. There are a lot of fun mobile games that would play well on the big screen. If this console get get some traction and the games mostly be priced at $4.99 or less then I think it will be a hit.

As I said on Blitz, if it doesn't pan out I have spent $100 on worse things ;)

Nobuyuki(Posted 2012) [#17]
The device doesn't have enough free space on it to support many large games. It will probably need to support SD cards, and automatic / fast app-loading directly from them if they want to make this thing viable.

It's amazing it has had as much support as it has, considering that it's a year out and not so much as a workable prototype has been demoed. People basically funded a slick presentation. I hope this won't become another multi-year quagmire like the Pandora. By the time that thing was released, it was already made irrelevant by mobile handsets!

xAD(Posted 2012) [#18]
I've seen several articles saying the OUYA people really don't have it together when it comes to the hardware because [things people who have had hardware manufactured would know that others wouldn't and the OUYA people apparently don't]

I've also seen articles saying even if it does wind up existing, it will get no support because it's essentially a tiny, closed off sub-division of the Android market not worth the money to target.

But no matter what...it doesn't exist yet. I'd rather see Mark work on a Linux target than something this esoteric.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#19]
@xAD absolutly agree that we should see the Market first, then add support afterwards.

The exception would be if there is a lot of people expecting this to SkyRocket the market - then taking the early adopter risk might be worth it.

Still since monkey do target Android, I'm not sure an OUYA post is even needed.

chimaera(Posted 2012) [#20]
To be honest I am a bit surprised about the pessimistic comments here.

I don't know about how many Monkey dev's have actually shipped and profited on a game launched on the mobile platforms yet. With approx 2000 games pushed on iOS every day the competition is really tough.

IF Ouya consoles are pushed to customers in March 2013 their will be an open market there. I you cant to see a better opportunity to ship a game, please tell me if you know a better one (I have been working in the game dev industry on AAA-games for 6 years now).

Sure, Ouya is a very small market, but how many reading this have ever launched a game making money outside the Blitz/Monkey community? Probably not that many.

This console will not be something like the PS3/X360 or next-gen. We all know it! But what is your possible market percentage of those platforms vs Ouya?

I love the Blitz/Monkey community but lets be fair...It is small and very few have developed games on it to make a living. This seems to be the next move forwards.

Why shouldn't we push to at least TRY to get Monkey support for this platform??? It is till 7 months away. if does not release, you haven't lost anything! If it does launch: You might have a day 1 game on a brand new market (52.000 units) where could earn 99 cents per copy. That is a lot better than through the community website.

Chimaera out...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#21]
Jeez, lay off the appeals to authority will you? I have also worked in mainstream games and other consumer products. It doesn't give you or me an excuse to ignore the arguments.

If Mark wants to add OUYA support then I doubt anyone will complain but there are good reasons for many Monkey users not to place any great priority on that effort over and above any number of other Monkey enhancements.

You might have a day 1 game on a brand new market (52.000 units) where could earn 99 cents per copy.

Yes, and that market may well already be thousands of titles deep with other quick Android ports and completely dominated by the same few dozen known brands from existing players. Access to a "maybe" market of tens of thousands versus better features that allow greater competitiveness in established markets of millions? I know which one I choose.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#22]
Access to a "maybe" market of tens of thousands versus better features that allow greater competitiveness in established markets of millions? I know which one I choose.

Totally agree! IMO theres already too many targets, its making my head hurt trying to remember all the different device screen sizes :P

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#23]
I haven't visited the thread since early on. I was surprised at all of the pessimism. I was an early backer before anyone had signed up with them and it looks like they are going to blow it out of the water.

If you are interested(I am) then go ahead and code your game in Monkey and have a 1920x1080 res for the TV. Then when the SDK comes out I am expecting a fairly simple wrap of some OUYA features such as leaderboards, however they work their market, etc.

That is the beauty of Monkey! When a new platform comes out, we are ready to go almost as soon as it is available.

Snader(Posted 2012) [#24]
As a backer and as a Monkey programmer, I would love to see Monkey enabling development for it. Back to the good old days of the more 'simpler' games that provide gameplay for two (or even four) players at a time! With that running XBMC on it, would be great for me and the kids!

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#25]
I think it's going to be successful: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408269,00.asp

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#26]

*Walks to Maplin*
*Purchases small £3 plastic box*
*Catches bus home*
*Takes out file, files plastic box*
*Inserts Gooseberry board*

.....Now, I paid £23 in total for this hackable android Mali-400 box. How is it any different?

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#27]
Cygnus, sounds like you might have a competitive product for that market... GOOD LUCK! :-)

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#28]
Haha.

Well I wish it the best of luck; in reality I'd love to see this being the next successful home console.

....I just wish I'd thought of it first!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#29]
Maybe we could have some influence on whether this product succeeds.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#30]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57556581-1/android-based-ouya-game-console-shipping-soon/

Dev kits are shipping.... any one get one?
-- Oh wait it says the 28th of Dec. sorry, not yet.

JaviCervera(Posted 2012) [#31]
Wow, didn't know about this project, and it looks promising if it ever sees the light of day.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#32]
Dev kits are shipping.... any one get one?

Yep, me and buddy both pitched in and got one.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#33]
sweet! do you have it? Can you talk about it or are you under NDA?

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#34]
It doesn't actually ship until the 28th of this month so i'll know more about it by then.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#35]
Ouya SDK is out now!
https://devs.ouya.tv/developers
https://github.com/ouya/docs

Winnders of the Ouya Develoeprs challenge:
http://www.ouya.tv/arbound/

The OUYA console supports 720P or 1080P output only.

For OpenGL-based games, we recommend creating a render buffer that's 1920x1080 if targeting 1080P or 1280x720 if targeting 720P. If this does not match the display resolution of your device, the game screen may be windowed or scaled depending on the behavior determined by the device manufacturer.

For games using the Android UI Framework, follow the Android best practices for developing applications for xhdpi-large and tvdpi-large displays. See developer.android.com for more information.

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#36]
Ah, cool, thanks for the link, I like the idea of the OUYA, a modern concept on the grandstand console ;o) if anyone is old enough to remember!

Shouldn't be a problem for Monkey to support as it's Android anyway, so it should run, but some OUYA specific features would be very nice to have with Monkey!

frank(Posted 2012) [#37]
Dev kits shipped (I mailed , they said mine shipped as well); anyone got one yet? And the iOS gamedock is nice but you need an iPhone; so you pay gamedock + iPhone which is far far more than $99. I think this thing looks nice in your livingroom, cheap and hackable. Hardware and software; you can extend it in both ways and they had the funding to do this. But agree with Soap; killer games sell consoles; if there are none, it'll fail, if there is even one, people will pick it up. I just like the hardware because it's cheap and Monkey will run on it !

Snader(Posted 2012) [#38]
My kids love the Samsung android tablet. They play a lot of simple games on it. I backed the OUYA project immediately. Guess it would be great to play two player games with my kids on the big screen TV in the style of the games they already play on the tablet.

dragon(Posted 2012) [#39]
hmmm...
OUYA is based on Android SDK...
here are only some addons...

But you have a new market (no Play Store)

I think that Rikomagic is also a good platform:
http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/

New Rikomagic is based on new faster Rockchip with 2x cpu cores and 4x gfx cores.
Tegra3 is 1-4 cores and 12 gfx cores (i think it is 2-3x faster)
Other data is the same (1 GB / 8 GB).

The best: you do not need extra market and extra SDK.

It is primary not used for games, but you can buy a keyboard or you can use bluetooth PS3-controller

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#40]
Lol, i emailed Mark asking him if he wanted to check out the Ouya SDK. Didn't realize it was already open to the public!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#41]
It sounds like if you follow this page Monkey will run without any changes (you can develop using the Android SDK emulator or a real tablet). I guess they'll require some of it to be used in order to accept apps for sale, but it sounds like you'd be able to develop right away for the devkits. Could be wrong...

I reckon Mark will check this out at some point as it seems quite realistic -- a simple/optional API on top of Android, isn't it? -- but I know he's been REALLY wary of this sort of thing since he was up this way around 2000 and I unfortunately popped his bubble by stating that the really promising 'Indrema' Linux-based console was killed a day or two before! (Still feel vaguely bad about that!) I think OpenPandora was another hot potato/burny-fingers situation...

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#42]
Their sdk has a few additions, like how to detect the controller and iap.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#43]
Nice i will be pre-order one for sure !

Soap(Posted 2013) [#44]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ntnx7DFpg

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#45]
@Soap:
Wait, so you got a monkey game running on the ouya?
Awesome.

I would love to hear some details, like how well it performs, doing some stress-tests, etc.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#46]
Video is not me! We didn't get a dev kit. ):

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#47]
Dev kit came today! My friend got it right now at our "HQ", i won't be able to see until after work tomorrow :(.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#48]
the game in the video is Unity.

I have to say, Ouya is quite a conversation piece. I'm glad Monkey has the opportunity to be a part of this, and potentially miniB3D. BlitzMax would not (just saying).

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#49]
Anything new isn't guaranteed success, but the OUYA will be great for people wanting to get into development and I definately see this console being a success, IMO if I was Mr Sibly I would scrap the PS VITA target and concentrate on the OUYA.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#50]
I would -1 that scrap suggestion. It's not a PS Vita target it's a PSM target. It targets more platforms than Vita, and may become a direct target for PS3 in the near future. It has already been hinted at by Sony, so losing support would be a big cut.

I suggest he hire more people, support even more targets, and focus on making more money too. :P

dragon(Posted 2013) [#51]
much better than OUYA?
Archos Connect!

http://www.archos.com/products/home/archos_tv_connect/index.html

You get Camera + Full Playstore + advanced Joystick with Keyboard

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#52]
@Soap - Fair one, I stand corrected it's PSM ;o)

Basically the aim should be to support as many targets as possible then! :)

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#53]
Yeah, going to be fun to test Monkey with OUYA, going to get my dev-kit on Monday, then it is just a matter of getting time to wrap the API, build a game and pwn :)

Maybe a combined open effort on this would be a smart win-win move by those of us with kits?

At the same time I'd love the new target system to be "released" before wrapping this in case it improves the process a lot! :)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#54]
@dragon: Advanced controller? Whoever designed that thing must have been drunk ^^ No way I would use a bulky piece like that xD

I think I'll have to wait until april to get one or is there any other way for now to get one under 699?

dragon(Posted 2013) [#55]
what is bad with this controller?
i like it

official ps3 sony qwerty (not good to use)
http://defaultprime.com/2008/11/13/ps3-controller-adds-touchpad-interaction/

xbox qwerty
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20070409/xbox-qwerty-controller/

lenovo qwerty
http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Wireless-Tastatur-Multimedia-Fernbedienung-LED-Hintergrundbeleuchtung/dp/B00A0LAM6Q/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#56]
I checked out the Dev Kit today. There's literally not much as far as the whole kit is concerned. Just a couple of see through controllers (w/batteries) and a tiny Ouya "console". The Ouya itself is quite barren. Aside from the intro video from Julie Uhrman, theres really not much to the interface yet. Even the built in browser is a bit weird. There was an immediate firmware update to fix the standard android keyboard that popped up. Other than that...its pretty much up to the devs to figure out how to load their games onto it.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#57]
I just did some research on OUYA and I think Monkey should definitely support it. It was actually be asinine not to...