Feedback about monkey from the frontline

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Feedback about monkey from the frontline

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
So I went to the fith Cambridge game developers meeting tonight and it was quite interesting. They had two guys from the monogame project (port xna projects to many platforms). I can't say I'll be using it but it was definitely interesting.

What was even more interesting is when I asked a group of about 10 people they all had heard of monkey! Most, however hadn't looked into it or had a reason to overlook it. They asked me I it was progressing, if it had an IDE and some other questions. Everyone seemed impressed with the progress.

They were not that impressed about the lack of networking or advanced features like shaders.

It seems that monkey is a getting known but it's not very clear to outsiders what it can and can't do. It also seems that networking is probably a bit of a sticking point.

So quite positive really :)

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
The number of deal-breaking points along the path to even trying the demo for Monkey is quite large. Lots of people are aware of Monkey but very few would even short-list it as a possible development tool.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#3]
minib3d v0.30 will have shaders.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#4]
the lack of networking

Yep, thats one of them.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
I was having a conversation with some devs about the same thing , as they were looking for another option, when I showed them monkey networking was their first question, shaders were not the second but 3D support was.

In the end all three of them went to unity which I think is a real shame.