Touch game collection

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Touch game collection

Raz(Posted 2012) [#1]
I've thought about this for a while but not really given it much thought until the discussion about increasing the popularity/awareness of Monkey...

Would anyone be interested in creating a compilation of touch based mini games? Maybe we could even do it as a 48/72 hour thingy one day? This is obviously open for discussion and change but as a start...

The rules are as follows

You can only use touch controls.
Diddy will be used as the base of the app and you will code your game as a single Screen ( http://code.google.com/p/diddy/wiki/Framework )
Your game must be at the set resolution of X by Y (whatever we decide, but I think with mobile devices in mind)
You must only use graphics from the provide sprite sheet (I'm thinking a single 1024x1024 png file)
You must only use the provided sound effects.
You must use one of the provided music tracks in the background (if we have music tracks at all).
Your game must be score based.
Your game must provide scores for bronze, silver, gold rankings (and maybe an additional super difficult one?)
You must include a 32x32 png which will be used as the icon on the mini game selection screen. This must again be based on the sprite sheet graphics but can be edited to make it more suitable as an icon.
You must include a brief description (limited to a certain number of words?) explaining how to play the game. On the most part the game must be relatively self explanatory though.
You can only use authorised third part modules (if any?)
You must state (maybe via a requiresMultitouch:Bool in the screen class) whether the game requires multi touch or not. My thinking here is it could allow us to have a HTML5/Flash release and a phone/tablet release.

The result

I am hoping this will create a fun collection of varied games that we could release for free on all available platforms. The more mini games, the better :)

So anyone interested?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#2]
I like the idea, but would rather it was over a week, at least, I tend to code slow I keep trying to take part in the ludum dare's but the time is to fast for me.

make it a week and I should be able to contribute something.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'm in! Hopefully it won't fall on a weekend where I'm busy! I like the idea of no theme just rules. Who would do the graphics?

It would be nice to be able to use monkey flixel as well...?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#4]
To be clear, that was just a suggestion, I wouldn't mind if there was no time limit at all really. It'd be very easy to make it something that gets added to over time as well (seeing as the only thing that should change each time is the source files)

Raz(Posted 2012) [#5]
At this stage, I have no preference as to which modules are used, it's pretty easy to get them when and if the "central" build needs them.

As for graphics, no idea yet, but I went searching for this thread on tigsource when I thought about graphics - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
I will throw my +1 in for diddy, for the selfish reason that it's what I am using now , and don't fancy having to get used to a new system like flixel. sorry..

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
I'll do this with fantomEngine.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#8]
Id prefer to use flixel if there is a choice. It has a lot more game-related stuff ready to go, compared to diddy. Id give diddy a bash though :D Id like this to be a weekend thing, we can all pile into an irc channel or something :D.

Maybe can start a regular monkey game jam!

It would be an ideal way to promote monkey, maybe even grandiose visions of BRL commissioning some tasty pixel art for contestants to use and then sponsoring with copies of monkey to be won. Something like that could definitely get outside people interested in monkey. You would have the visual draw of professional quality artwork; the numerous html5 mini games to post on html5/javascript/indie news sites; the free html5 demo for contestants to enter with and then the chance to win a prize!

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#9]
maybe we could have one for flixel one for diddy and one for fantom.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#10]
My theory behind using Diddy was purely for the Screen framework and using it as a standardised container for each mini game. I figure it'd be the easiest way of packaging lots of source files together.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
How about we just use any framework we want, just as long as we abide by the design rules?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
I think what raz is saying tho Neuro is that if we use Diddy and its screen setup, then each game would essentially be a single file and one of diddy's screens, and could literally just be added to the main project with 1 call to import the source.

if we use any other framework or all use different frameworks then that's I dont think going to be possible. at least as far as I know flixel does not work the same way diddy does. or fantom.

If you want an irc channel look at my signature. im in it most days as I sit in the ludumdare channel on the same server, so your all welcome to pop in. chat about monkey or anything else game related.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#13]
Ok i see what you mean now about the screen class. I was just thinking that we were going to have a bunch mini separate apps.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#14]
Better take a screen class, Diddy's or other and create an interface for it. Rule is to use that interface. An obvious and simple solution would be diddy, but any other Framework would work, with just a few lines of wrapping code.

Like the idea btw :)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#15]
@Taiphoz: I will throw my +1 in for diddy, for the selfish reason that it's what I am using now

I'll throw my +1 in for Diddy too, for obvious reasons. :)

I have a billion projects on the go at any one time, and I tend to get bored easily. I'm writing a danmaku and I'm torn between doing it in raw Monkey, or trying to finish my Lua port and do it in that.

The only game I ever "finished" was my Left150Dead entry for the BlitzMonkeys competition, and I think that's because I had a simple design goal and a deadline. I *might* be interested in this, depending on the assets supplied.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#16]
Hi everyone :) Neuro, Taiphoz : Yeah that's exactly it, they will all be in the same app once bundled together, hence using a standard Screen format. I mentioned Diddy because I knew it had an easy to use screen framework.

I haven't given the graphics, sound effects or music much thought yet.

I have a billion projects on the go at any one time, and I tend to get bored easily. I'm writing a danmaku and I'm torn between doing it in raw Monkey, or trying to finish my Lua port and do it in that.

The only game I ever "finished" was my Left150Dead entry for the BlitzMonkeys competition, and I think that's because I had a simple design goal and a deadline.

This is me, in a nutshell! I've been messing around with game development on and off for 11-12 years and finished 3 games (with one being a remake of the other) and have a dozen or so other ideas that I've started multiple times but stopped.

The ideas I have floating around lean towards very short, but very re playable challenges. Simple mechanics with addictive game play.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#17]
I have to say with max, and b3d I was the same, although I did finsih a good few games those were the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I had on the go and just never got done.

When I came to monkey at the start of the year I made a conscious decision to not mess around with tons of projects, and while it's been really hard on me, I have managed to keep 90% of my focus on my main project with the help of a few little tricks.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#18]
Its really hard to stay focused longterm. You think of a cool project and then you tempt yourself by delving in a little bit, and before you know it you have 50 projects! I have somehow found dedication in these past few years, been working on objecty for about 6 months wihtout distraction!

Back many years ago I was using clickteam tools and it was sooooo easy to just fire up and start a new game. You could have something running in a few hours, for me it was almost like drawing an interactive picture then creating a game.

I think that's why jams are so important, they help you purge your brain of evil project ruining thoughts and then get back to work afterwards!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#19]
btw this could come in handy?
http://opengameart.org/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#20]
@Skn3 , Yeah that's why I am interested in this, it's also why i started hanging on in the ludumdare irc channel my intention always being to take part, but have not actually done it yet, which is a good thing cos it means im still working hard on terminal 2.

In terms of working on tons of projects, this time around I have given myself other stuff to do but made sure its all got something either in-directly or directly to do with the main project, like recording some dev diaries, or working on a dedicated site for the game, or other stuff like this, it gives me the break from the games code and I get a little creative recharge without having millions of little half done games.

But this little thing, this little mini game project should be lots of fun and if done right will not require tons of time, which I like the sound of.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
Raz mate I think need to, as the original poster, start making some decisions, on what framework were using, what art we have, what sound we have, and what functions, or global's we might have access to within our screen from the main project.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#22]
Bump for Taiphoz

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#23]
AH cool thanks man, for the life of me could not remember the thread title.

yeah we need something to happen here.. I think I might know a Pixel artist who would donate some art for this. gona ask him next time I see him.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#24]
Aha sorry forgot to check back on this thread.

I've been looking around for art at but I'm yet to find a set that covers lots of "generic" graphics, so I am thinking I might just make some myself if Taiphoz isn't able to source any.

It goes without saying though that as soon as I started this thread, my day job started going crazy and I have found myself getting little to nothing done in my spare time!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#25]
Well if you nail down the basic rules, are we using diddy , is it one screen per game, with each screen loading in its own assets from the provided list etc etc..

We can move forward .

I suggest the following , but this is your thread so you need to make a final call on it..

Res [640*480]
Diddy Framework (Single screen(file) per game) pacman_scr.monkey etc.
Must use the art and sound provided

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#26]
ok now weve got the rules sorted how about a new thread

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#27]
oh that was just a suggestion, it's raz's call, I dont wana hijack his idea just trying to nudge him along. :)

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#28]
the only way is up!
oh sorry, that was yaz

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#29]

So, how about peeps just start adding little bits of art to this sheet, and this can be the sheet we use, I have added a few little sprites already, keep it pixel's no fancy blurs or anything. and keep it inside the black border which of course will be taken away on the final sheet. tiles are 32*32

if you just save the image, add your stuff and then shot it up some where and link it so others can grab it.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#30]
Hi there, please do nudge things along :) I wish I could be more proactive in leading things, but available time to me is erratic at the moment.

I love the idea of adding sprites to a sheet, and would suggest that anyone looking to do so consider the tool - http://www.aseprite.org/ - I've recently started using it and it's fantastic.

Because of the limited amount of graphics and sounds, shall we just load them all up on start up and make them accessible via a static class / global?

I've made a class called SFX and you call SFX.Play("explosion",tVol:Float = 1.0, tPan:Float = 0.5, tRate:Float = 1.0) to play the sound effect. The sounds are stored within a stringmap within the class.

I guess there will be one sprite sheet, so that can just be a globally stored LoadImage()

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#31]
I think if were using diddy, then we just need to load the images all in at launch from the main app, giving each sprite a name making it easy for the mini games to find.

not used it yet but diddy now has an Atlas routine so it can actually load a full atlas as well which is cool.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#32]
Right .. im gona push this along, I am working on some initial art, thanks to IRC and our monkey channel we have geecee doing some awesome music, I will fling in some basic sound effects, and once I have a setup ready I will either post here or make a new thread.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#33]
OH and will be using diddy, I know there are other frameworks out there, but it's the one I like, and its screen setup is perfect for this kind of thing.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#34]
I had these in mind a while back as some potential graphics. Will add to them and get them ready for the correct format

Edit: will add to this as I go

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#35]

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56777267/code/MonkyTouch.rar

ABOVE RAR IS NOT FINISHED YET...

Files to note.
Each Mini game has its own folder inside the graphics folder, these are names sequentially , game1,game2 etc.

Each game now has a monkey file for it, game1.monkey etc... these files will contain ALL code relevant to that game.

inside each games graphics folder is a texture packed sprite sheet, whichs MUST contain the following images.

Texture Packer is [ http://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker ] - and the game graphics folders will have a texture pack file you can open and edit to add your own graphics.

game1_thumb.png

This will be used on the right hand side info box, and should be a screen shot of your gameplay.

game1_icon.png

This is the icon for your game which will be displayed on the left selection section.

game1.png
And this is the final Game Packed sprite sheet.

As well as these core images , we also have a gamelist.txt file, which is both comma and colon delimited, and where we will put our game data, like game name, author etc..

An example bellow shows mine, for game 1. a small space invaders thing which I plan to make as my contribution.

GameList.txt
01,invader,game1_icon,game1_thumb.png,Paul "Taiphoz" Grayston,http://dev.cruel-gaming.com,Kill all the alines and dont get him;

Think that's about it ..

I still need to code the play button so it plays the currently selected game, and I still need to render the game info and screen shot out in the game info panel, once thats done everything else can be done within the individual game monkey files, and their own respective graphics folders.

EDIT -- OH one thing the texture packer, if you happen to edit it to add your own graphics, you need to open the .txt file and amend the top line to point to the appropriate graphics folder or it will look for your games sprite sheet in the main graphics folder.

erm....

hope this is all ok.

I use dropbox, and would love to move all files into a shared drobbox folder as it will make working together a lot easier.

Anyway. if your interested, and wana help make a mini game, please let us know, and we will give you a game number which will let you know which files and folders your editing.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#36]
ok the main files are now done, they will display the data from the text file, and they will launch the screen you select.

we nust need people to pick a number from 2-20 and grab that file and make a mini game.

I should say that while I have set this up using the sprite packer, there is nothing stopping you using your own images without packing them and just loading them in when your game starts, as long as you keep them in the right graphics folder.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#37]
Updated the rar file, now just need people to step up and start picking numbers.

:) come on !!..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#38]
Also.. if you need to create any new globally scopped variabels or class's please give them a three letter suffix..

for example..

class tai_Player
end class

or
const tai_enumone = 1

or
function tai_moveguy()
etc..

this will prevent any possible cross over.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#39]
ok ill take 2

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#40]
When is it taking place then (need to schedule some time in my busy life)?

So we are allowed to use our own graphics other than the included shared graphics?

Can you set up a github for this as it would make it much easier to manage/sync?

and finally ... Booo no flixel :( ?

I hope I will have time to do this, it will be a fun little distraction from app programming :D

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#41]
please see this new thread..

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3251&