Can monkey achieve this kind of performance?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Can monkey achieve this kind of performance?

matt(Posted 2012) [#1]
http://www.phoboslab.org/xtype/

I notice the silky smooth framerate and the fact that there is no pause for audio to load.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#2]
2 possibilities

1.compile monkey code to C++ and call C++ functions with Alchemy,

Is Alchemy-compiled code faster than ActionScript 3.0?

For computation-intensive use cases, such as audio encoding/decoding, data manipulation or cryptographic functions, performance of code ported using the Alchemy tool chain can be ten times faster or more than native ActionScript 3.0 and anywhere from 2-10 times slower than native C/C++ code. Specific results will vary depending on the project and will not always be faster than pure ActionScript code.

2.compile monkey code to haxe, one disadvantage is that haxe doesnt embed resources easily, and another is that there is no Haxe target :).
Haxe is supposed to be faster than as3.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#3]
That game looks beautiful.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
I don't know about silky smooth frame rate. I kind a notice a lag during the big explosion. it's not doing anything really impressive other than really polished graphics and what seems to be a glow effect. also the amount of particles is kept to a controlled level. It seems to be using some type of delta timing for motion. I think the only problem I see is the sound. I usually just play a single small sound during the intro screen and it flows with out notice. but it's not the solution.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Should be easily accomplished in Monkey-flash maybe not so much the glow effect unless someone can duplicate it(I would like to know).

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#5]
That game was built using the ImpactJS HTML5 framework, which is one of the most refined and optimized HTML5 frameworks available. But there's actually not a lot going on in that game and it didn't load much content either.

I don't think monkey's rendition of HTML5 is quite as optimized, but i'm actually working on a shooter that can get a bit hectic at times and still able to keep 60FPS in HTML5. But then again, i haven't thrown the sound on the HTML5 target yet :).

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#6]
It's HTML5 and runs well on my iPad2 with virtual joysticks. Pretty nice. I wonder if they use the HTML (none canvas) background trick to speed up drawing as mentioned by me here:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1164

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#7]
Ah! I din't realize it was HTML5! any way I tried it in my Iphone 3G and it was really slooooow. unplayably slow. I guess they adopt it to what ever the speed of the device you are using because when I played it with the Iphone I only saw the orange missiles not the glowing bullet spray, no sound either but thats probably because of the outdated Safari Browser.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#8]
Notes on impactJS development:
http://impactjs.com/documentation/impact-on-mobile-platforms

matt(Posted 2012) [#9]
Really interesting reading, thanks

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#10]
Yeah like Neuro also working on a shooter and html5 from monkey is not having much trouble throwing lots of stuff around.

that games clearly got much more accurate collisions tho, looks almost pixel perfect from the shot I had, why does monkey not have a decent collision function which of the platforms is letting it down ? its clearly not html5.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
, no sound either but thats probably because of the outdated Safari Browser.

Yeah i don't think the iPhone 3G quite has the juice to handle HTML5 stuff :). The game ran perfect on my iPhone 4s and New iPad. Would like to know how it would do with sound enabled through the browser though.

Has anyone been able to test with an Android or other mobile device?

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#12]
Has anyone been able to test with an Android or other mobile device?

On TouchPad with CM9 on it, both in stock browser and in Chrome: playable, but somewhat choppy.

On Nexus One in stock browser: less choppy than on the tablet, but still not smooth.

Still early for this category of games to be built in HTML5 for mobile, unless you target a narrow range of devices.

matt(Posted 2012) [#13]
This (Xtype) runs great on my iPhone 4
On my Android ZTE Blade it runs really badly

This could be sold quite easily on the iPhone App Store

Salmakis(Posted 2013) [#14]
wow someone played WarningForever and made its own version.
well its more beatyfull then WF but WF wasmore fun to me